THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex Mack Calls Out Harrison

CribbsWalker

Alex Mack questions James Harrison

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns center Alex Mack says Steelers linebacker James Harrison led with his helmet on more than just the two plays that sidelined two of his Cleveland teammates with concussions.

Mack said Harrison, who was fined $75,000 for his hard hit on Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi and knocked out Josh Cribbs on a running play, speared running back Peyton Hillis when he was on the ground.

"The helmet-to-helmet with Cribbs is a little more innocent, to some extent," Mack said Thursday. "You're still leading with your head. It's a dumb move no matter what you do. If you watch the game film, [Harrison] was doing that to everyone on every play. People would be on the ground and he would try to spear them. There's a play on film where Peyton Hillis is tackled and he comes up and spears him. It's like you're being cheap, you're being dirty."

Mack said he is pleased with the media attention being given to the helmet-to-helmet hits and believes the league should do all it can to protect and educate players.

"A lot of the arguments right now are people are taught from Pee Wee football that this is how you play," Mack said. "Well, we need to change that. You can't be breaking your head. There are better ways to tackle. We're taught you're not supposed to spear with the top of your head."

Shortly before his hit on Massaquoi, Harrison blasted Cribbs, who ran the ball out of the WildDawg formation. Neither Cribbs nor Massaquoi has practiced this week. Harrison returned to practice on Thursday, one after he threatened to retire because of the league's crackdown on dangerous hits.

Cleveland coach Eric Mangini said Cribbs and Massaquoi are making progress and he's hopeful they can be back at practice on Friday. Both players have been around the team this week at the Browns' facility.

Cribbs, who also returns punts and kickoffs, was struck on the left side of his head by Harrison on a running play in Sunday's game. Massaquoi got drilled by Harrison after dropping a pass over the middle -- a vicious hit that resulted in the fine. The NFL ruled that the hit on Cribbs was legal.

Mangini has been pleased with the progress of rookie wide receiver Carlton Mitchell, who could get his first playing time this week at New Orleans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5710617

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump. Excellent, excellent post.

Thank you, Mr. Mack.

And, the Browns will meet pukesblurg again.

did I mention that Tomlin is a gutless coward of a hc for ignoring the illegal hits and dirty cheapshot play of Harrison?

it doesn't make any difference to steeler fans who like to hang out here. they will run off a list of players that disagree. they'll bring up it's football and blah blah blah. they'll say ben didn't do anything wrong because he was never charged. in other words they will never admit to any wrong doing by any of their players. it's like they signed an agreement for being thick-headed and deaf, dumb and blind as long as they root for the steelers.

oh BTW harrison is back at practice. so much for his threat to retire............too bad. goon. i knew he liked spears.

did I mention that Tomlin is a gutless coward of a hc for ignoring the illegal hits and dirty cheapshot play of Harrison?

coaches won't admit it but that's what they want. until coaches and orgs start getting fined heavily none of this will matter.

Harrison knows his days of cheap shots are pretty much over and now he will need to play hard without being able to take the other teams guys out with helm to helms or spears...

Do i think he can do it?

Yes i do, he is a great player that never had to cheap shot to be effective to begin with, but it made life a bit easier for his team and on himself...he can still use that talented eye and timing to lay in crushing legal hits like few in the league can...

Now he needs to realize the sky hasnt fallen and quit whining while adjusting his tactics a bit..

As for mitchell he should have already been in there superstars are not made by not getting live playing until impressing the coaches little whims on the practice field, they are made by proving their mettle on the playing field under the lights and extreme pressure that either makes or breaks a player..

Mangini uses an erroneous system that seriously has the potential to leave talent rotting like no other system could, it is most certainly a great starter system for building the guts of the spartan wall but at some point he needs to slack off and allow the OC to decide who will throw the spears from behind it without pinning merits and reward playing time to it...this is pro football not playground tag....

it doesn't make any difference to steeler fans who like to hang out here. they will run off a list of players that disagree. they'll bring up it's football and blah blah blah. they'll say ben didn't do anything wrong because he was never charged. in other words they will never admit to any wrong doing by any of their players. it's like they signed an agreement for being thick-headed and deaf, dumb and blind as long as they root for the steelers.

oh BTW harrison is back at practice. so much for his threat to retire............too bad. goon. i knew he liked spears.

Please refer to the thread the Steelers book of Holy Shit for explanation on their logic. :)

Bump. Excellent, excellent post.

Thank you, Mr. Mack.

And, the Browns will meet pukesblurg again.

Gutless coward? No that would be our coach who somehow couldnt get the attention of any of our players to maybe go do somehting about what transpired in the second quarter. Nope instead once again we sit back and take it and then decide to mouth off about it 4 days later when we should really not be worrying about anything but the Saints at that point. Another fun Sunday on the horizon.

Thats because it is NOT Cut and Dry. And there is a Long list. I would have to see the Film... I know I didnt notice it NOR did the Announcers on Sunday... But I wont say hes wrong without seeing it.

And Talk about Deaf Dumb and Bilnd... " POT meet Kettle " You are hilarious toxicshock... Mack is also on Dangerous Ground thats SERIOUS Bulletin Board material... and I will admit James Harrison Not a Nice Man... And he doesn't Have to be Dirty to inflict Pain. But THIS is what Rivalry IS !! I like to see the Players Talking S*** !!

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns center Alex Mack says Steelers linebacker James Harrison led with his helmet on more than just the two plays that sidelined two of his Cleveland teammates with concussions.

Mack said Harrison, who was fined $75,000 for his hard hit on Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi and knocked out Josh Cribbs on a running play, speared running back Peyton Hillis when he was on the ground.

"The helmet-to-helmet with Cribbs is a little more innocent, to some extent," Mack said Thursday. "You're still leading with your head. It's a dumb move no matter what you do. If you watch the game film, [Harrison] was doing that to everyone on every play. People would be on the ground and he would try to spear them. There's a play on film where Peyton Hillis is tackled and he comes up and spears him. It's like you're being cheap, you're being dirty."

Mack said he is pleased with the media attention being given to the helmet-to-helmet hits and believes the league should do all it can to protect and educate players.

"A lot of the arguments right now are people are taught from Pee Wee football that this is how you play," Mack said. "Well, we need to change that. You can't be breaking your head. There are better ways to tackle. We're taught you're not supposed to spear with the top of your head."

Shortly before his hit on Massaquoi, Harrison blasted Cribbs, who ran the ball out of the WildDawg formation. Neither Cribbs nor Massaquoi has practiced this week. Harrison returned to practice on Thursday, one after he threatened to retire because of the league's crackdown on dangerous hits.

Cleveland coach Eric Mangini said Cribbs and Massaquoi are making progress and he's hopeful they can be back at practice on Friday. Both players have been around the team this week at the Browns' facility.

Cribbs, who also returns punts and kickoffs, was struck on the left side of his head by Harrison on a running play in Sunday's game. Massaquoi got drilled by Harrison after dropping a pass over the middle -- a vicious hit that resulted in the fine. The NFL ruled that the hit on Cribbs was legal.

Mangini has been pleased with the progress of rookie wide receiver Carlton Mitchell, who could get his first playing time this week at New Orleans.

Alex Mack has big balls being a NO 1 pick, he lead us to nowhere last year and is leading us to nowhere this year..........meanwnhile undrafted free agent James Harrison (who makes way less than half of Mack)has two rings and one he personally achieved by making a play of all times

maybe mack should offer half his lucrative salary to Harrison so he can still make more and convince Harrison to be easy on the Browns so he pay him ....this whole thread is stupid gone wild

Now fellow Browns fans stop eating crap and start dosing it out....................Mack is out of bounds................GET some BaLLS block somebody............make plays and win...........

and until such time keep your lame mouth shut

Alex Mack has big balls being a NO 1 pick, he lead us to nowhere last year and is leading us to nowhere this year..........meanwnhile undrafted free agent James Harrionson has two rings and one he personally achieved by making a play of all times

Now fellow Browns fans stop eating crap and start dosing it out....................Mack is out of bounds................GET some BaLLS block somebody............make plays and win...........

yeah mack THE CENTER is going to lead them somewhere. what? how about a qb step up and take the reigns? (which i hope mccoy can do) how about a receiver step up and play like they did in college? how about getting a 100yd a game running back? yeah a center is an integral part on the OL but when has one lead a team to the super bowl??????

Gutless coward? No that would be our coach who somehow couldnt get the attention of any of our players to maybe go do somehting about what transpired in the second quarter. Nope instead once again we sit back and take it and then decide to mouth off about it 4 days later when we should really not be worrying about anything but the Saints at that point. Another fun Sunday on the horizon.

Mangini has gone on record many times to say that he doesn't want his players losing their cool on gamedays. His teams before this year have been amongst the least penalized in the league and this has a lot to do with it. Enough chest thumping. Scoreboard.

I cannot disagree with a word you said. We spend our money on Mack not a RB or /QB or WR...........so it is his job to make us winners............SIMPLE AS THAT...........iinstaed of whining why he cannot block steeler d players

stand tall demand excellence and deter excuses ............what mack did was make an excuse for losing............NOT GOOD

yeah mack THE CENTER is going to lead them somewhere. what? how about a qb step up and take the reigns? (which i hope mccoy can do) how about a receiver step up and play like they did in college? how about getting a 100yd a game running back? yeah a center is an integral part on the OL but when has one lead a team to the super bowl??????

You have to try to overlook Rich, He is a moron. The guy/woman likes the Browns/Squillers both

Thanks man/woman whatever you are you are a genuine football genius xxxxikng genius.....who else could spew such profound bullshit of nothing.........and your profound post will be in the realm of all time greatest posts...................GOD ALMIGHTY loved your insight

drinking the cool aid sage wisdom for second year multimillionaire who had done jack shit to win us a championship is indeed drinking sage wisdom.......OR IS IT

Thanks man/woman whatever you are you are a genuine football genius xxxxikng genius.....who else could spew such profound bullshit of nothing.........and your profound post will be in the realm of all time greatest posts...................GOD ALMIGHTY loved your insight

Thank you :rolleyes:

Rich knows he's wrong most of the time, but hey, he's a good guy, and he says crazy stuff, and whines forever,

and makes stuff up, and goes off the dummy end of most conversations...

but sometimes he is a solid kindof steeler worshipping Browns fan complainer...

he just is a pro at warping peoples' psyches when they read his posts. But he is a good guy... @@

Rich knows he's wrong most of the time, but hey, he's a good guy, and he says crazy stuff, and whines forever,

he just is a pro at warping peoples' psyches when they read his posts. But he is a good guy... @@

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Funny how when Hillis, Cribbs and Scott F. defended Harrison everyone just says NFL players aren't that smart...But when Mack is the first NFL player to publicly claim Harrison plays dirty no one says anything about him not being smart..... Yeah, unbiased and just concerned about player safety. :rolleyes:

Thats because it is NOT Cut and Dry. And there is a Long list. I would have to see the Film... I know I didnt notice it NOR did the Announcers on Sunday... But I wont say hes wrong without seeing it.

And Talk about Deaf Dumb and Bilnd... " POT meet Kettle " You are hilarious toxicshock... Mack is also on Dangerous Ground thats SERIOUS Bulletin Board material... and I will admit James Harrison Not a Nice Man... And he doesn't Have to be Dirty to inflict Pain. But THIS is what Rivalry IS !! I like to see the Players Talking S*** !!

I cannot disagree with a word you said. We spend our money on Mack not a RB or /QB or WR...........so it is his job to make us winners............SIMPLE AS THAT...........iinstaed of whining why he cannot block steeler d players

stand tall demand excellence and deter excuses ............what mack did was make an excuse for losing............NOT GOOD

drinking the cool aid sage wisdom for second year multimillionaire who had done jack shit to win us a championship is indeed drinking sage wisdom.......OR IS IT

I got an idea, how about you learn how to type correctly, or just learn English in general. I feel like I am deciphering a kindergartners letter to Santa after they got struck in the head with a tack hammer.

Him never being charged was a part of it. The woman's rape test coming up negative and her story changing 3 seperate times (all on video) also had a lot to do with it.

Your whole basis that Steeler fans don't critize players when they are wrong is based on looking objectively at evidence in Ben's case and coming to the obvious conclusion that no rape happened.

Just a question, is the DA in Georgia a Steeler fan?

Pouncey>Mack

That is funny bro.........wrong most of the time..........der er right........makes stuff up..........der ah never needs to

love yah bro you are the quintessimal republican have no recolection of records or numbers or history but are quick to blame the udder guys.......for all your BLUNDERS.....

"in savage we trust".............now that was cool......

and you are a good guy too just suffering from denial of facts

sorry my friend in this case an overpaid center who has done jackshit......is whining.....support the whining........that is what blind homerism is about......losing whining and getting accolades for whining about losing

Stand tall quit crybabying and please do let Colt electrify the fans.......with performance..........and oh yeah get some other people from offense wins to help him

Definition of a hero; someone who is aggressive, punishes opponents, and plays for your team.

Definition of a dirty player; someone who is aggressive, punishes opponents, and plays for another team.

How many who hate Harrison idolize Turkey Jones?

This is the quote from Evan Moore today. THIS IS THE POINT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE:

"He was just playing his game," Moore said. "I'm not trying to say that his game is dirty. I'm just saying he's made a habit of hitting like that. I don't think launching into a guy's head makes you a tough player. Harrison is a good, strong, tough player but that's not what makes him tough and that's something I think is unnecessary"

It is unnecessary. You can light a guy up by crushing him in his torso. Go back 20 or 30 years and watch how players actually TACKLED instead of smashing into guys. The art of tackling is becoming lost. I respect Harrison as a player....but he is a few sandwiches short of a picnic and pretty angry. Just watch the video of him holding down and punching a cardinal player on a kickoff.....I guess roids still make you angry.

The Browns don't need to bitterly condemn the cheapshot, that just gives them locker room material.

The Browns will play them a second time.

It will be a different story. Harrison should be very afraid of teeing off on taking huge chances of crippling opposing offensive players.

That's sleazeball, not football.

why didn't mack call him out on the field and get him back then. to me, he sounds like the guy who says "hold me back, hold me back" and is back up while he says it.

I think the last time Mack tried getting back at someone, he got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against them. I would rather have him just complain at the end of the game and still play a good game, than take it out on the field.

Funny how when Hillis, Cribbs and Scott F. defended Harrison everyone just says NFL players aren't that smart...But when Mack is the first NFL player to publicly claim Harrison plays dirty no one says anything about him not being smart..... Yeah, unbiased and just concerned about player safety. :rolleyes:

ok spunk if it's all about wording for you how about this: you are correct that no one said his play was dirty (from your list). but his hits were worthy of fines and suspensions in the future. the league did this AND called him a repeat offender. so the league is out to get the steelers now, especially harrison. yeah, right. if he was such a big man why did he back down on his threats and show up for practice instead of giving the org his retirement papers?

i happen to agree with mack's stance on the subject. have you seen the game film he speaks of that shows harrison multiple times just going into piles trying to spear someone? no? either have i, but i doubt the dude is just making shit up.

i saw the article where cribbs says harrison is still his boy and he's been hitting people like that his whole life and at kent state where they both played. hey i like cribbs and all but smart he's not.

Alex Mack has big balls being a NO 1 pick, he lead us to nowhere last year and is leading us to nowhere this year..........meanwnhile undrafted free agent James Harrison (who makes way less than half of Mack)has two rings and one he personally achieved by making a play of all times

maybe mack should offer half his lucrative salary to Harrison so he can still make more and convince Harrison to be easy on the Browns so he pay him ....this whole thread is stupid gone wild

First off Rich- get your facts straight about how much Harrison makes.

Pretty Good Coin for being a Thug, No?

& Ritchie, JH is all upset he can't spear opposing players anymore- because he's going to be donating a lot of that contract money to NFL Charities in the future. He knows the gig is up, because henceforth, the NFL is going to be paying extra special attention to his antics.

Sorry Rich- Mack is dead on- Harrison has been getting away playing like a thug for years. I suppose you want a jackass playing like this for the Browns? I don't.

whbja8.jpg

Archived