THE BROWNS BOARD

WR Carlton Mitchell to see action this Sunday

ATENEARS

Zombo hates him, but Mangini has been pleased with the progress of rookie wide receiver Carlton Mitchell, who could get his first playing time this week at New Orleans.

Little kids will be playing Turkey Bowls soon, airing out bombs yelling, "McCoy to Mitchell, Baby!!!"

Zombo hates him, but Mangini has been pleased with the progress of rookie wide receiver Carlton Mitchell, who could get his first playing time this week at New Orleans.

Little kids will be playing Turkey Bowls soon, airing out bombs yelling, "McCoy to Mitchell, Baby!!!"

Link?

I'm ecstatic if this is true. He will be our future #1. Remember that I called it!

At this point, I bet you MoMass and Cribbs are out so that leaves WR:

Robiskie, Stuckey and???

Mitchell and Figurs

I'm excited to see if Mitchell can step up and if Figurs has anything in the tank that other teams just couldn't tap. Both of these guys have some good speed about them. Also I would like to see Stuckey used outside the slot position and see if he can be effective outside.

I don't hate him. He seems like a nice enough guy, I hope he does real well.

I'm just not banking my hopes on a rookie sixth round draft pick.

When have any of these guys you fell in love with at the end of the draft been real difference-makers:

James Davis, Paul Hubbard, Syndric Steptoe, Baba Oshinowo, Corey Bridges, Corey Bridges, Corey Bridges....

Mitchell has some nice raw qualites and we need help at WR, so it would be great if it worked out. I just don't tend to go the fairy tale route. How bout we start drafting better on the first day with guys like MoMass and Robiskie ... then we don't have to hope to roll snake eyes on a guy like Mitchell.

Zombo

Unlike Zippy, I'm a great gauge of Wide Receivers and I believe this kid is going to be a good one.

David Terrell called. Wants to know if there are any openings at your penis pump plant.

Zombo

here is a pre draft scouting report from philadelphiaeagles.com They projected him to go in round 2 or round 3. Ted Ginn was said to have a loping stride which caused problems with him running tight routes

The Good: Tall, fluid receiver with nice size. Quickly releases off the line, immediately gets to top speed, and will expose himself in a crowd to make the reception. Effectively adjusts to the errant throw, looking the pass into his hands and making the reception in stride. Somewhat effective running after the catch. Displays soft and strong hands which extends from his frame, then pulls the pass from the air.

The Bad: More of a loping runner and really does not possess a burst. Cannot run to the deep throw and more of an underneath receiver.

The Verdict: Mitchell decided to opt for the NFL after a solid junior campaign and is a well-sized receiver with a good degree of upside. He offers potential as a red zone/third-down target at the next level yet needs a lot of work to complete his game.

It will be good to see him but don't expect anything. WRs generally take 2 or 3 years to become who they will become. There are always a few exceptions but WR is a very difficult position to learn in the NFL. I expect to see very little of Mitchell and a lot of Mike Bell and Hillis. We need to keep Brees off the field and there is no way we can win a gun fight with those guys.

Browns' rookie receiver turns it on on off days

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/10550664..._medium=twitter

Mitchell does extra work, studies craft and is ready for shot Sunday

By Nate Ulrich

Beacon Journal sports writer

Published on Friday, Oct 22, 2010

BEREA: Browns rookie wide receiver Carlton Mitchell has spent his ''off days'' absorbing criticism and evaluating his weaknesses.

He might be rewarded for his sacrifice and humble approach Sunday when the Browns (1-5) visit the New Orleans Saints (4-2). With the availability of wide receivers Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi in question, Mitchell could make his NFL regular-season debut.

Mitchell has been inactive in each of the first six games this season, but he has not been forgotten. Coach Eric Mangini went out of his way Thursday to declare that Mitchell's breakthrough opportunity is on the horizon.

''I guess the difference for me in the last couple of weeks is every day when I'm watching practice, I'm noticing him,'' Mangini said. ''That's what you want from guys that tend to be on the inactive list or the practice squad. You want them to pop off the screen so you can't help but notice them as you're watching the plays.

''He's caught the ball better. I think his routes have improved. He's gotten some reps with the offense each week and those reps that he's gotten, I think, have been sound and sharp and he hasn't had mental errors. I really like his effort on special teams and show team. There's a hunger there that you appreciate as a coach.''

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Mitchell, whom the Browns selected out of the University of South Florida in the sixth round (177th pick) of this year's draft, has enough size and speed to turn heads. However, his ability to consistently catch passes has been doubted. Training camp featured more dropped balls by Mitchell than hot days.

''It wasn't really a focus thing,'' Mitchell said of struggling this past summer. ''It was more so just a thinking-too-much thing. I always have a lot of confidence in my hands once I get comfortable with everything. [it was an adjustment] coming in here and not really being aware of what's going on around me. Once I got used to everything, everything just falls in place.''

Several of Mitchell's teammates immediately recognized his raw talent when he arrived in Northeast Ohio. They knew it was only a matter of time before his mind started to catch up.

''He's a guy that can really stretch the field, so I think he's realized his strengths and he's really trying to hone in on those skills,'' wide receiver Chansi Stuckey said. ''Once you start getting confidence and being comfortable, that's when the big stuff comes.''

Browns wide receivers coach George McDonald studied Mitchell's potential during his pro day and at the NFL Scouting Combine. The two have spent recent Tuesdays, the designated ''off days'' for Browns players during the regular season, dissecting Mitchell's progress.

''He wanted me to attack the ball more and come back to the ball,'' Mitchell said of McDonald's advice. ''Always run hard, practice hard and just be more consistent with my hands. I feel as though I addressed those things.''

The coaches aren't the only ones who have noticed Mitchell's stock rising during the past few weeks. As a frequent member of the scout-team offense, Mitchell has impersonated opposing wide receivers — Chad Ochocinco of the Cincinnati Bengals, Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Marques Colston of the Saints — and done a respectable job playing various roles.

''He works his butt off every day in practice,'' tight end Evan Moore said. ''He just keeps his nose to the grindstone and realizes that as a young player his opportunities will come if he just keeps working.''

If Cribbs and Massaquoi are limited or inactive Sunday after suffering concussions in Week 6 when Steelers linebacker James Harrison collided with their helmets, Mitchell might even become a regular target of rookie quarterback Colt McCoy.

Mitchell, Stuckey, Brian Robiskie and the recently signed Yamon Figurs are the only wide receivers on the team's 53-man roster who have not missed practice this week because of injuries. Moore, a wide receiver during his college days at Stanford, is another player who could be used to bolster a depleted receiving corps.

The Superdome, often filled with a loud, rowdy crowd, could be the site of Mitchell's big break. Nevertheless, he insists he's not intimidated.

''Nervous? No,'' said Mitchell, who had four catches for 33 yards in the preseason. ''I'm more excited and ready. Every week I prepare myself, my mind. Coach always says prepare yourself like you're a starter. I just go out and I just work hard every day and do the right things. So mentally I prepare myself even before the games. I go out, warm up and everything, and then they make a decision and I have to respect it.''

So far, those decisions have kept Mitchell out of the lineup. Still, offensive coordinator Brian Daboll and McDonald have reminded him to keep fighting.

''If I go in the tank, it's not gonna help me,'' Mitchell said. ''It's gonna set me back even more. So every week when they said I was inactive, I just continued to go out and work hard and get better. I'm still getting better every day.

''If I'm up this week, that's great. It's a true blessing. If I'm not, then I understand. I'm just gonna keep working.''

Even on his ''off days.''

Nate Ulrich can be reached at nulrich@thebeaconjournal.com. Read the Browns blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/. Follow the Browns on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ABJ_Browns and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/browns.abj.

BEREA: Browns rookie wide receiver Carlton Mitchell has spent his ''off days'' absorbing criticism and evaluating his weaknesses.

He might be rewarded for his sacrifice and humble approach Sunday when the Browns (1-5) visit the New Orleans Saints (4-2). With the availability of wide receivers Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi in question, Mitchell could make his NFL regular-season debut.

Mitchell has been inactive in each of the first six games this season, but he has not been forgotten. Coach Eric Mangini went out of his way Thursday to declare that Mitchell's breakthrough opportunity is on the horizon.

''I guess the difference for me in the last couple of weeks is every day when I'm watching practice, I'm noticing him,'' Mangini said. ''That's what you want from guys that tend to be on the inactive list or the practice squad. You want them to pop off the screen so you can't help but notice them as you're watching the plays.

''He's caught the ball better. I think his routes have improved. He's gotten some reps with the offense each week and those reps that he's gotten, I think, have been sound and sharp and he hasn't had mental errors. I really like his effort on special teams and show team. There's a hunger there that you appreciate as a coach.''

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Mitchell, whom the Browns selected out of the University of South Florida in the sixth round (177th pick) of this year's draft, has enough size and speed to turn heads. However, his ability to consistently catch passes has been doubted. Training camp featured more dropped balls by Mitchell than hot days.

''It wasn't really a focus thing,'' Mitchell said of struggling this past summer. ''It was more so just a thinking-too-much thing. I always have a lot of confidence in my hands once I get comfortable with everything. [it was an adjustment] coming in here and not really being aware of what's going on around me. Once I got used to everything, everything just falls in place.''

Several of Mitchell's teammates immediately recognized his raw talent when he arrived in Northeast Ohio. They knew it was only a matter of time before his mind started to catch up.

''He's a guy that can really stretch the field, so I think he's realized his strengths and he's really trying to hone in on those skills,'' wide receiver Chansi Stuckey said. ''Once you start getting confidence and being comfortable, that's when the big stuff comes.''

Browns wide receivers coach George McDonald studied Mitchell's potential during his pro day and at the NFL Scouting Combine. The two have spent recent Tuesdays, the designated ''off days'' for Browns players during the regular season, dissecting Mitchell's progress.

''He wanted me to attack the ball more and come back to the ball,'' Mitchell said of McDonald's advice. ''Always run hard, practice hard and just be more consistent with my hands. I feel as though I addressed those things.''

The coaches aren't the only ones who have noticed Mitchell's stock rising during the past few weeks. As a frequent member of the scout-team offense, Mitchell has impersonated opposing wide receivers — Chad Ochocinco of the Cincinnati Bengals, Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Marques Colston of the Saints — and done a respectable job playing various roles.

''He works his butt off every day in practice,'' tight end Evan Moore said. ''He just keeps his nose to the grindstone and realizes that as a young player his opportunities will come if he just keeps working.''

If Cribbs and Massaquoi are limited or inactive Sunday after suffering concussions in Week 6 when Steelers linebacker James Harrison collided with their helmets, Mitchell might even become a regular target of rookie quarterback Colt McCoy.

Mitchell, Stuckey, Brian Robiskie and the recently signed Yamon Figurs are the only wide receivers on the team's 53-man roster who have not missed practice this week because of injuries. Moore, a wide receiver during his college days at Stanford, is another player who could be used to bolster a depleted receiving corps.

The Superdome, often filled with a loud, rowdy crowd, could be the site of Mitchell's big break. Nevertheless, he insists he's not intimidated.

''Nervous? No,'' said Mitchell, who had four catches for 33 yards in the preseason. ''I'm more excited and ready. Every week I prepare myself, my mind. Coach always says prepare yourself like you're a starter. I just go out and I just work hard every day and do the right things. So mentally I prepare myself even before the games. I go out, warm up and everything, and then they make a decision and I have to respect it.''

So far, those decisions have kept Mitchell out of the lineup. Still, offensive coordinator Brian Daboll and McDonald have reminded him to keep fighting.

''If I go in the tank, it's not gonna help me,'' Mitchell said. ''It's gonna set me back even more. So every week when they said I was inactive, I just continued to go out and work hard and get better. I'm still getting better every day.

''If I'm up this week, that's great. It's a true blessing. If I'm not, then I understand. I'm just gonna keep working.''

Even on his ''off days.''

QUOTE (DawgTracker @ Oct 22 2010, 10:28 AM) *

will expose himself in a crowd to make the reception.

Ok ... now I get it. I see why skippy wants him to play so badly.

Zombo

Thank God Kordell Stewart isn't playing for the Browns.....

Lets just say Mitchell comes in and plays really well. Lets say 6 catches 90 yards and a TD. What would you think of Mangini keeping him on the bench all year behind players like Robiske, Stuckey, MoMass, and Cribbs? All year long we have been calling for a deep threat even if he can't catch I still thinking someone that is as big and as fast as him he could at least stretch the field opening things up for some of our other receivers.

I'm not saying he is not going to be good. Which is a great thing. Just curious why he dropped that far with that height and speed.

Basically the way I understand it he fell because he was only a first year starter and went into the draft as a junior.

Mangini is practicing his same approach with Mitchell that he has with everybody else: You get what you earn.

And right now, especially with the junk we've got at receiver, he has yet to step up to the plate. But Mangini was effusive this week in his praise of Mitchell. If EM gives an unsolicited remark about someone in a presser, then they've done what they've needed to do to get on the field.

I am excited about this guy because he's got NFL-class speed, unlike MoMass and Robo.

While I don't long for the days of BE, I am growing frustrated by the week with our receiving corps. It's ridiculous that Evan Moore can split out wide and catch 25-yd. balls with regularity, but #11 and #80 can't shake free of anybody.

Colt looks like he can be an accurate passer, which makes it even more maddening.

Mangini is practicing his same approach with Mitchell that he has with everybody else: You get what you earn.

I like this. I think there has to be some sort of minimum standard to merit a start.

Archived