THE BROWNS BOARD

Bye Week Team Adoptions

longhorn

OK, so it is the Browns' bye week. Which team(s) will you be "adopting" or cheering for this coming weekend? For me it will be the Saints. I expect them to bounce back and beat the Steelers in the Superdome. I think Brees will be looking to shake off his awful performance and the Saints' defense will rise to the occassion. Rumor has it that Big Ben will be wearing a ladies pink Halloween thong under his uniform for the game.

It's hard for me to root for anyone else but the Browns, but my second favorite team is whoever is playing the Steelers, unless it's Cincy, the Ratbirds, or Denver (then I want a scoreless tie).

The Bye week, & Monday Night football (if the Browns are playing) have never been high on my list of favorites. Can't stand the waiting to watch thing.

Just looking at the schedule for next week I think I will adopt these teams:

Houston to beat Indy....and have an earthquake like shift in the balance of power in that division.

New Orleans to beat Pittsburgh. Not just because it is the Steelers but also to make this AFC North race tighter.

Minnesota over New England. I actually do want to see the Grand Old Man do well in what will now almost surely be his final season. Plus I just like the Vikings over the somewhat arrogant Pats.

Jacksonville over the Cowboys. Because it is just always good to see the Cowboys be in turmoil and lose.

The jets have become my adopted team of choice, i started off watching them for laughs at bigmouth rex and to see him get his big mouth shut up, but as i watched them i found out i actually enjoyed his teams effort and aggressiveness, these guys never lay down, and the coaches are smart..

I will watch and root for any team playing against our division rivals and will always root for the rival with the worst record when they play each other, unless its the stoolers, then i root for whichever rival to overcome the referees...Muhahahahaha!

Just looking at the schedule for next week I think I will adopt these teams:

Jacksonville over the Cowboys. Because it is just always good to see the Cowboys be in turmoil and lose.

I live in Texas and trust me, the Cowboys WILL be in turmoil for the rest of the year. What an ownership, coaching and player fiasco.

I live in Texas and trust me, the Cowboys WILL be in turmoil for the rest of the year. What an ownership, coaching and player fiasco.

Well, I guess we could say "How Bout Dem Cowboys"!!:

That said, my daughter's first choice of college to attend right now is a Texas school: Trinity Univ. in San Antonio.

Next to Rice, it is considered the #2 academic school in the state.

Well, I guess we could say "How Bout Dem Cowboys"!!:

That said, my daughter's first choice of college to attend right now is a Texas school: Trinity Univ. in San Antonio.

Next to Rice, it is considered the #2 academic school in the state.

I lived in San Antonio for many years. It is a great city. Trinity is an excellent school, my mother-lin-law graduated from there as did several friends. It would be a great choice. She will need a pickup truck and a Spurs jersey though.

From ESPN:

In an interview with ESPN, that showed just a clip, on Sunday morning, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones offered his support, yet again for coach Wade Phillips.

"I have a serious confidence in our coaching staff and Wade Phillips he’s the man for the job for right now," Jones said. "This requires experience to address being down 1-4 and have the focus and have the ability to show players, I have seen this happen before, turnarounds. And so if I’m in this situation, and the Cowboys are, I want the experience of a Wade Phillips to give us what he’s got to help us start winning."

The Cowboys have the highest payroll in the NFL and post a 1-4 record, have committed the third-most penalties in the league, yet somehow have the third best offensive and fourth best passing offense in the game. The defense ranks fourth in the NFL overall.

Phillips has said the won-loss record isn't good enough.

It was interesting to note that Jones said "right now" regarding Phillips' job status. Jones said previously he would never fire a coach mid-season. Is he rethinking that stance, especially if his team loses on Monday night vs. the New York Giants?

Phillips to his credit is making numerous changes.

He's changed the practice schedules so the team can go over mistakes three times a day and adding referees back to practices can help curtail in the penalties.

Phillips said the offense didn't get flagged during Thursday and Friday practices. The offense leads the league with 30 offensive penalties.

The Cowboys will make personnel changes, last week Jesse Holley was moved from the practice squad to the active roster and this week Brandon Williams will become active for the first time in his pro career and play on special teams.

"Anything we think can help our team, we're going to try to do," Phillips said before Saturday's practice. "These aren't desperate changes.There are things I think make sense. As long as the players buy into them. If it's a situation where they don't understand what we're doing, or change just for change sake because we've lost some close games, I mean that's not a panic situation. We've explained it to them."

When asked about the perception that these changes look like desperation and told that DeMarcus Ware said prior to the Vikings game the previous week that it was an elimination game, Phillips said, "I don't perceive that with the team, no. I don't think they feel like that. You want them to feel like they have to win this game, sure. But you want them to have to feel that way every game."

My guess is Wade will be gone at the end of the year and Gruden will take his place.....but I've been wrong before.

Archived