THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday Fresh Blood

The Gipper

This year has been a good year for getting "Fresh Blood" into the title mix in the various sports leagues. So here are your questions along that line. Give your opinions:

1. The previously moribund New Orleans Saints (who after yesterday may be going back to being moribund) broke through and won a title for the first time since their inception in 1966. Now, this year, several teams who have either never won titles or for whom it has been over 40 years since their last title are leading their NFL divisions. Which of these division leaders would you like to see win the Super Bowl (Browns excluded because they are not on top of division):

Atlanta Falcons, no title since inception in 1967

Seattle Seahawks, no title since inception in 1976

NY Jets, no title since SB III in 1968

Kansas City Chiefs, no title since SB IV in 1969

Tennessee Titans, no title since 1961 AFL title in 1961

2. The evil vampire bloodsucking Yankees have had a stake put through their heart and two "deserving franchises" who have gone a long time are vying for the World Series title. Who do you want to see win the World Series:

The Texas Rangers who had never so much as won a postseason series since their inception as the Washingtion Senators in 1961, or

The San Francisco Giants who have not won the World Series since playing in New York in 1954 when they defeated the Indians?

3. In the NHL this past summer the Chicago Blackhawks won the NHL title for the first time since 1961. They had gone longer than any other NHL team in awaiting a title. Though it is early, there are some division leaders who have gone a long time since winning or who have never won. Which of the following current NHL contenders would you like to see win the Stanley Cup:

The Toronto Maple Leafs who have not won since their title in 1967

The Los Angeles Kings who have never won a title since their inception in 1967

The Nashville Predators who have never won a title since their inception since 1998 (they are currently leading their div.)

4. The NBA is the LEAST egalitarian league of all. In the past 30 years ONLY the following 8 teams have won NBA titles:

Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Heat, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, 76ers.

Choose ANY of the other 22 teams who have either never won a title or gone more than 30 years without one that you would like to see win the NBA title next year.

5. Almost all of the traditional powerhouses in college football have suffered setbacks. The best chances to see the BCS title game are in the hands of the following 7 undefeated teams, none of whom have sniffed a Championship in almost 50 years. Which one would you like to see win the National Championship:

Michigan State, who last won a share of a title in 1966

Auburn, who last won a title in 1957

TCU, who last won a title in 1938

Oregon which has never won a title

Boise St. which has never won a title

Missouri which has never won a title

Utah which has never won a title.

This year has been a good year for getting "Fresh Blood" into the title mix in the various sports leagues. So here are your questions along that line. Give your opinions:

1. The previously moribund New Orleans Saints (who after yesterday may be going back to being moribund) broke through and won a title for the first time since their inception in 1966. Now, this year, several teams who have either never won titles or for whom it has been over 40 years since their last title are leading their NFL divisions. Which of these division leaders would you like to see win the Super Bowl (Browns excluded because they are not on top of division):

Kansas City Chiefs

2. The evil vampire bloodsucking Yankees have had a stake put through their heart and two "deserving franchises" who have gone a long time are vying for the World Series title. Who do you want to see win the World Series:

The Texas Rangers who had never so much as won a postseason series since their inception as the Washingtion Senators in 1961, or

The San Francisco Giants who have not won the World Series since playing in New York in 1954 when they defeated the Indians?

Texas Rangers. Josh Hamilton needs this.

3. In the NHL this past summer the Chicago Blackhawks won the NHL title for the first time since 1961. They had gone longer than any other NHL team in awaiting a title. Though it is early, there are some division leaders who have gone a long time since winning or who have never won. Which of the following current NHL contenders would you like to see win the Stanley Cup:

The Nashville Predators who have never won a title since their inception since 1998 (they are currently leading their div.)

Kings or Predators

4. The NBA is the LEAST egalitarian league of all. In the past 30 years ONLY the following 8 teams have won NBA titles:

Choose ANY of the other 22 teams who have either never won a title or gone more than 30 years without one that you would like to see win the NBA title next year.

Cavs or Trailblazers

5. Almost all of the traditional powerhouses in college football have suffered setbacks. The best chances to see the BCS title game are in the hands of the following 7 undefeated teams, none of whom have sniffed a Championship in almost 50 years. Which one would you like to see win the National Championship:

Missouri! Head Coach is from Kent State :)

None of them, really. I'll pick Chiefs cause it ain't happening.

I'm rooting for the Rangers because I picked them to win it in the preseason right here in one of your surveys. Also, I had Vlad Guerrero, Nelson Cruz, C.J Lee and Cliff Lee on my fantasy team. They're my boys. (Even though I usually hate everything that comes out of the state of Texas).

The Leafs for their long tradition's sake.

Cleveland Cavaliers.

Oregon, they always have cool uniforms.

My own opinions

The Tennesse Titans, though I would like them better if they were still the Houston Oilers. Even so, they have gone the longest and I think that Jeff Fisher is a deserving coach who should get a SB title. Next, probably the Chiefs.

I think I will pull the Rangers, though either is really fine with me. I like Cliff Lee and I hope he stays there instead of grubbing for the Yankees cash. Besides, the Giants beat the Indians when they last won, and hell, I was only 2 years old but that doesn't mean I can't still hold a grudge. Right?

The Maple Leafs. They have gone the longest, and nowhere would a Stanley Cup title be more appreciated than in Toronto. It would be like Cleveland winning a Super Bowl. Each city being the heart of their respective sport.

The Cavs are the obvious answer, but let's be honest, they are winning the Title. Of potential contenders I would prefer The Hawks, the Suns, or even the Magic who with Dwight Howard have the best chance.

I agree on Missouri. Their coach attended Akron Kenmore. Nearly ALL coaches of National title winners come from NEOhio:

Urban Meyer, Tressel, Bob Stoops, Les Miles..even Nick Saban attended Kent State.

And D'antonio, HC of Mich. State grew up in Zanesville.

I'd like to see the Falcons win it.

I don't follow baseball so I'll just say the Rangers since they haven't won a World Series.

Nashville.

I'd love to see the Cavs but it probably won't happen.

Michigan State. If I wasn't an tOSU fan I'd be an MSU fan for sure.

Kansas City

Texas

Toronto Maple Leafs

Cleveland

Missouri

Titans, I would like to see Vince Young win the title since he was ripped off for the Heisman.

The Texas Rangers. Nolan Ryan has done wonders with that club. Also the Cowboys suck so badly this year the fans in Texas need a winner.

The Nashville Predators. I dislike anything from LA and who wants a bunch of Canadians walking around with a trophy. :rolleyes:

Cavaliers to show oh what's his name Cleveland can live well without him.

Missouri, they have great fans and wonderful tradition. I'm not a big fan of Utah, Boise or Oregon.

The Texas Rangers. Nolan Ryan has done wonders with that club. Also the Cowboys suck so badly this year the fans in Texas need a winner.

I don't know about that. If you are talking the whole state of Texas the Spurs just won a title a couple of years ago. And UT won a title about 5 years ago. The Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup about 10 years ago, and the Houston Rockets won a couple of titles in the mid-90s, as of course did the Cowboys. I can think of a lot of other states that are more in need of a winner.

And if it was basketball or baseball I could see your point about the Canadiens, but this is hockey. Its their sport. On the other hand, they did pull out that OT winner against US(A) in that Gold Medal Game earlier this year. Perhaps they should just be satisfied with that.

I don't know about that. If you are talking the whole state of Texas the Spurs just won a title a couple of years ago. And UT won a title about 5 years ago. The Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup about 10 years ago, and the Houston Rockets won a couple of titles in the mid-90s, as of course did the Cowboys. I can think of a lot of other states that are more in need of a winner.

I should have been clearer...football fans need a winner. Us Texans have high expectations for football and expect football championships every 2-3 years.

And if it was basketball or baseball I could see your point about the Canadiens, but this is hockey. Its their sport. On the other hand, they did pull out that OT winner against US(A) in that Gold Medal Game earlier this year. Perhaps they should just be satisfied with that.

Actually, most people believe the British invented hockey but the Stanley Cup is named after a Canadien.

And don't forget, Texas is a really big state so, from a state perspective, we have to win things more often... PS, don't take me too seriously, I tend to joke a lot. :)

I should have been clearer...football fans need a winner. Us Texans have high expectations for football and expect football championships every 2-3 years

That's a load of Blarney, ain't it? Ohio has every bit as great expectations for football and we also expect a championship every 2-3 years. That doesn't mean we get it.

It looks like your hope for any decent football team from Texas lies with the DATs, as certainly the Cowgirls and the Longhorns are going nowhere.....though, maybe TCU?

Archived