THE BROWNS BOARD

Somebody's Always Got to Take Dig at the Browns!

alporcini

Is Bills linebacker Aaron Maybin the worst player in the NFL?

By Chris Chase

The Buffalo Bills defense is ranked last in the NFL in points allowed. The unit has allowed the most rushing yards in the league. Its point differential is an NFL-worst -77. And, of course, the Bills are the only team in the NFL without a win. So if the Bills defense is the worst unit of the worst team in the league, does that mean the defense's worst player is also the worst player in the entire NFL?

[Related: The biggest draft busts of the decade]

Evidently, according to Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News. In a Thursday column, Sullivan says second-year linebacker Aaron Maybin(notes) is the worst player in the NFL because he can't get on the field for the Bills defense:

It's quite possible that Maybin is the worst player in the NFL (though a case could be made for John McCargo(notes), another former Bills' first-rounder who has been inactive all six games).

There's a good chance Maybin will be inactive again this week [he wasn't activated last week in Baltimore, the first time that has happened in his pro career] against Kansas City, the NFL's top rushing team. After a year and a half, he hasn't gotten better. If anything, he's regressed. Maybin has 21 tackles in 21 games. He has no sacks. This season, he's been on the field for 66 plays, with few tangible results.

The Bills gave Maybin a $15 million signing bonus after his holdout in 2009. That's not the sort of return on investment that made capitalism great. If Maybin were some seventh-round pick -- like, say, Ryan Fitzpatrick(notes) or Stevie Johnson -- he'd be long gone by now.

Maybin was the 11th pick of the 2009 draft. He's already been moved from defensive end to linebacker, but hasn't found his role in the Bills' new 4-3 scheme. Coaches won't put him on special teams and undrafted rookies are getting more playing time than him.

Sullivan says it's because Maybin is terrible and should be cut. The latter part might be true, but I refuse to believe Maybin is an awful football player. He did something at Penn State, enough to make him the No. 11 pick in the draft. (Yes, maybe the Bills picked him too high; but it was a couple spots too high, not a couple of rounds. Maybin wouldn't have dropped past, say, No. 20.) In most cases like this, it's a lack of work ethic that's the real culprit. That's why cutting Maybin would be silly right now. Give him some time to mature, then reevaluate. The deactivation could be the kick in the pants he needed. Or it could be the beginning of the end of his time with the Bills.

[Rewind: Star receiver voted most overrated player in league]

But is he the worst player in the NFL? Nah. As long as Jake Delhomme is still on a roster somewhere, Aaron Maybin doesn't have much to worry about.

Douche bag writer aside, who IS the worst player in the league? Obviously not some mook witting on the end of the bench somewhere, I'm thinking more like Alex Smith-worst?

But is he the worst player in the NFL? Nah. As long as Jake Delhomme is still on a roster somewhere, Aaron Maybin doesn't have much to worry about.

Yup the panthers are just tearing it up without jake at an amazing 1-5...

Is this guy even aware that delhomme hasnt been starting for the browns?

don't know if the guy is too far off with that statement. as someone said in another thread i don't want to see jake under center again this year or ever for the browns again. i personally don't think his last years performance was a fluke just an omen. and that's scary! boo ha ha ha :o

I think it was probably Yamon Figurs.

Now it's probably Bret Ratliff ... 3 QBs down the depth chart from one said Jake Delhomme.

Zombo

--Or all 11 guys on Denver's defense .... Raiders 59 points ... What??

More from NFL.com.....

Joining Maybin on the inactive list Sunday was another former first-round pick, defensive tackle John McCargo, who was selected 26th overall in 2006. McCargo has yet to appear in a game this season. And then there's Buffalo's 2007 first-round pick, running back Marshawn Lynch, who was traded three weeks ago to the Seattle Seahawks. Edit: and in 2008 the Bills first round prize was Leodis McKelvin-who? A cornerback that can't even crack the starting rotation.

I think we can say the Bills have taken the booby prize of "worst drafting team in recent NFL History" from the Browns- with drafts like that no wonder why they suck.

Lately we havent done that bad. I mean even in the Romeo era.

Kamerion Wimbley had like what 11 sacks or something, maybe it was 10.

Braylon Edwards has been to a Pro-Bowl and has looked solid this year

Kellen Winslow was solid when healthy and I think he still is, just his knees are giving

Joe Thomas - 3 years, 3 pro-bowls. nuff said

Alex Mack - second year and is one of the best centers in the league now.

Joe Haden - too early to say but has definitely shown flashes, looks like he could be something special

Go to second round

D'Qwell Jackson led the league in tackles a few years ago

Sean Jones was solid here, kinda blows now

Brodney Pool, always injured but has been solid for the Jets

Mohammed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie, jury is still out, MoMass looked promising last year, shown a couple of flashes this year, and Robo hasn't been good, at best.

TJ Ward looks like a force to be reckoned with for years to come, when Palamalu and Ed Reed are gone, no doubt he is a Pro-Bowler in my books, just they have the name.

I wouldnt say we have been doing too bad.

Lately we havent done that bad. I mean even in the Romeo era.

Kamerion Wimbley had like what 11 sacks or something, maybe it was 10.

Braylon Edwards has been to a Pro-Bowl and has looked solid this year

Kellen Winslow was solid when healthy and I think he still is, just his knees are giving

Joe Thomas - 3 years, 3 pro-bowls. nuff said

Alex Mack - second year and is one of the best centers in the league now.

Joe Haden - too early to say but has definitely shown flashes, looks like he could be something special

Go to second round

D'Qwell Jackson led the league in tackles a few years ago

Sean Jones was solid here, kinda blows now

Brodney Pool, always injured but has been solid for the Jets

Mohammed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie, jury is still out, MoMass looked promising last year, shown a couple of flashes this year, and Robo hasn't been good, at best.

TJ Ward looks like a force to be reckoned with for years to come, when Palamalu and Ed Reed are gone, no doubt he is a Pro-Bowler in my books, just they have the name.

I wouldnt say we have been doing too bad.

7 rounds per draft,1 good player per year. so being 1 for 7 isn't doing to bad.WRONG, bad drafts --- bad teams.

Any of the 50 players on the practice squads...

Yea. If the question is "who is the worst player in the league" Absolutely the answer is probably some scrub who never really had that much of a chance anyway.

If the question is "who is the biggest disappointment in the league as a result of having been given a lofty draft status" that is another quesion.

Someone said Jamarcus Russell. Well, he isn't even in the league, is he? Or is he a backup somewhere?

He would be a prime candidate, but there are certainly numerous other candidates in that category.

If we want to talk about first round busts, look at seattle's Aaron Curry who is only allowed to be on the field of play only in running situations.

Last week he Aaron Curry watched from the sideline more than he played on the field last week against Chicago.

Read more: http://www.theolympian.com/2010/10/22/1412...l#ixzz13lnyQW21

And if you want to pick a linebacker in the first round dont you want your first rounder on the field for all 3 downs? I'm glad we didn't draft him, he cannot play against the pass.

Is Bills linebacker Aaron Maybin the worst player in the NFL?

By Chris Chase

The Buffalo Bills defense is ranked last in the NFL in points allowed. The unit has allowed the most rushing yards in the league. Its point differential is an NFL-worst -77. And, of course, the Bills are the only team in the NFL without a win. So if the Bills defense is the worst unit of the worst team in the league, does that mean the defense's worst player is also the worst player in the entire NFL?

[Related: The biggest draft busts of the decade]

Evidently, according to Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News. In a Thursday column, Sullivan says second-year linebacker Aaron Maybin(notes) is the worst player in the NFL because he can't get on the field for the Bills defense:

It's quite possible that Maybin is the worst player in the NFL (though a case could be made for John McCargo(notes), another former Bills' first-rounder who has been inactive all six games).

There's a good chance Maybin will be inactive again this week [he wasn't activated last week in Baltimore, the first time that has happened in his pro career] against Kansas City, the NFL's top rushing team. After a year and a half, he hasn't gotten better. If anything, he's regressed. Maybin has 21 tackles in 21 games. He has no sacks. This season, he's been on the field for 66 plays, with few tangible results.

The Bills gave Maybin a $15 million signing bonus after his holdout in 2009. That's not the sort of return on investment that made capitalism great. If Maybin were some seventh-round pick -- like, say, Ryan Fitzpatrick(notes) or Stevie Johnson -- he'd be long gone by now.

Maybin was the 11th pick of the 2009 draft. He's already been moved from defensive end to linebacker, but hasn't found his role in the Bills' new 4-3 scheme. Coaches won't put him on special teams and undrafted rookies are getting more playing time than him.

Sullivan says it's because Maybin is terrible and should be cut. The latter part might be true, but I refuse to believe Maybin is an awful football player. He did something at Penn State, enough to make him the No. 11 pick in the draft. (Yes, maybe the Bills picked him too high; but it was a couple spots too high, not a couple of rounds. Maybin wouldn't have dropped past, say, No. 20.) In most cases like this, it's a lack of work ethic that's the real culprit. That's why cutting Maybin would be silly right now. Give him some time to mature, then reevaluate. The deactivation could be the kick in the pants he needed. Or it could be the beginning of the end of his time with the Bills.

[Rewind: Star receiver voted most overrated player in league]

Douche bag writer aside, who IS the worst player in the league? Obviously not some mook witting on the end of the bench somewhere, I'm thinking more like Alex Smith-worst?

Jake Delhomme. Seriously. Alex Smith sh.its all over Jake Delhomme.

Jake Delhomme. Seriously. Alex Smith sh.its all over Jake Delhomme.

Please Homo, we just gave you three Bills first rounders that can't even crack the starting lineup- and you're ragging on Delhomme, who besides $$ cost the Browns nothing?

Alex Smith was a high first round pick- and I'll agree with the Gips- Jamarcus Russelll may well go down as one of the biggest busts in the history of the NFL, along with Tony Mandarich, Brian Bosworth, and Ryan Leaf.

Please Homo, we just gave you three Bills first rounders that can't even crack the starting lineup- and you're ragging on Delhomme, who besides $$ cost the Browns nothing?

Alex Smith was a high first round pick- and I'll agree with the Gips- Jamarcus Russelll may well go down as one of the biggest busts in the history of the NFL, along with Tony Mandarich, Brian Bosworth, and Ryan Leaf.

Besides the money he cost the Browns nothing? Last I checked money was something and he doesn't deserve to start ANYWHERE in the NFL so in my eyes he's not better than the Bills players listed. Delhomme has been bad for several years now and when the Browns signed him I was on here saying he was going to be TERRIBLE. Sure enough he's terrible. He's pretty damn bad man.

Besides the money he cost the Browns nothing? Last I checked money was something and he doesn't deserve to start ANYWHERE in the NFL so in my eyes he's not better than the Bills players listed. Delhomme has been bad for several years now and when the Browns signed him I was on here saying he was going to be TERRIBLE. Sure enough he's terrible. He's pretty damn bad man.

Why do you have to come to a Browns site. All Shitburgh fans are stupid but you really take the cake.

If we want to talk about first round busts, look at seattle's Aaron Curry who is only allowed to be on the field of play only in running situations.

Last week he Aaron Curry watched from the sideline more than he played on the field last week against Chicago.

Read more: http://www.theolympian.com/2010/10/22/1412...l#ixzz13lnyQW21

And if you want to pick a linebacker in the first round dont you want your first rounder on the field for all 3 downs? I'm glad we didn't draft him, he cannot play against the pass.

Didn't realize Curry was such a bust... wasn't he the guy Mangini was coveting big time year before last...

who keeps letting this guy comment on here?

gr_birthgay.jpg

Why do you have to come to a Browns site. All Shitburgh fans are stupid but you really take the cake.

Try xxxxing reading. I've already explained 50 times in the past why I'm on this site. Over half of my posts are in Steeler related threads otherwise I just read and contribute here and there. If your brethren would quit with the Steeler threads you'd rarely see me around. In this case I contributed because Jake Delhomme Brown or not is god xxxxing awful. Yet I'm stupid. How long have I been posting here? and you still haven't read why I'm here? Mouth breathers all around.

Try xxxxing reading. I've already explained 50 times in the past why I'm on this site. Over half of my posts are in Steeler related threads otherwise I just read and contribute here and there. If your brethren would quit with the Steeler threads you'd rarely see me around. In this case I contributed because Jake Delhomme Brown or not is god xxxxing awful. Yet I'm stupid. How long have I been posting here? and you still haven't read why I'm here? Mouth breathers all around.

This isn't a "Steeler thread". Besides, half the "Steeler threads" are started by Steeler trolls.

Archived