THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday All Saints Day

The Gipper

This is Monday November 1. All Saints Day, except it seemed that Saint's Day was last night, Halloween given their win over the Steelers. Nevertheless here we go with questions to give your answers or opinions on:

1. Were you named after a Saint? Which one(s)?

2. Did you dress up for Halloween? As what?

3. Assume for a moment that political correctness went wild and the Browns (who allegedly are named for the African-American race) and the Indians ( who are named for the Native American race) were both "ordered" to change their names. What new names for these teams would you choose?

4. The MLS is now in the midst of their playoffs. Should the MLS, Soccer, now be given the designation as the "5th Major League" along with the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL?

5. LeBron James in his new commercial asks "What should I do"? What, in your opinion, should he do?

This is Monday November 1. All Saints Day, except it seemed that Saint's Day was last night, Halloween given their win over the Steelers. Nevertheless here we go with questions to give your answers or opinions on:

St. John. When I was in grade school the nuns asked me to pick a patron saint among the Saint Johns and I chose St. John the Apostle. He was a great writer and I like to write.

No, I guess I was dressed as a Real Estate agent, since the Browns were on their bye week I took of advantage of the day by working.

3. Assume for a moment that political correctness went wild and the Browns (who allegedly are named for the African-American race) and the Indians ( who are named for the Native American race) were both "ordered" to change their names. What new names for these teams would you choose?

I'd rename the Indians the Spiders. I'd rename the Browns the Blacks.

4. The MLS is now in the midst of their playoffs. Should the MLS, Soccer, now be given the designation as the "5th Major League" along with the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL?

Seeing as I had no idea they were in the playoffs, let alone in season ... I'd say no.

Soccer is a sport for girls in this country.

5. LeBron James in his new commercial asks "What should I do"? What, in your opinion, should he do?

Shut up.

Zombo

1. Were you named after a Saint? Which one(s)?..... No

2. Did you dress up for Halloween? As what?... Wore a scream mask.

3. Assume for a moment that political correctness went wild and the Browns (who allegedly are named for the African-American race) and the Indians ( who are named for the Native American race) were both "ordered" to change their names. What new names for these teams would you choose?.... Haven't given it much thought.

4. The MLS is now in the midst of their playoffs. Should the MLS, Soccer, now be given the designation as the "5th Major League" along with the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL?.... No. Soccer just doesn't have the popularity here.

5. LeBron James in his new commercial asks "What should I do"? What, in your opinion, should he do?... Go f*** yourself!

Yes, St. Lawrence

No, but if I did it would be as Gandalf the Grey

Considering the Dawgpound, the Browns should be The Buldogs- it was actually suggested when they came back, and I'll agree with Zombo on the The Spiders.

Uh, no, not even close- yet.

I already suggested this on the Cavs Board- Get lost, and play basketball in Turkey with Iverson. :)

NA

No

The Browns are allegedly named after the African race?? Never heard that one before.

Brownies and Tribe.

No...at least for me...Maybe NASCAR should.

Just shut-up.

I actually have 3 Saints names, The doubting Apostle. The Irish Saint who allegedly actually discovered the New World, and the Saint that Ghoulardi always talked to. (Thomas, Brendan, Dominic)

The best I did was to throw on this Grizzly Bear hat thing we have to pass out candy to the kids.

A lot of us think alike to go retro: Spiders for the Indians which was Cleveland's team in the late 1800s (though I hate spiders) and Bulldogs going back to the Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs of yore.

Right now as far as I can tell it it still a "niche" sport. It may be someday, but not now, not until it gets its own American Identity. While I was flipping through channels yesterday I came upon a playoff game between LA and Seattle. The announcers were telling about how the stadium in Seattle was a "packed house", except they didn't mention that they had blocked of the entire upper deck of the stadium there. Also, the crowd was singing that stupid Singsongy eurogarbage song that you here in European soccer matches. Give me a f***ing break. Make up your own traditions.

Again, most of us think alike: STFU! And blow out your ACL or Achilles heel or something.

No idea. Could care less.

Yep. I have a dawgpound mask :)

The Browns are for Paul Brown, not for African Americans. However, they should be renamed to the Redskins and Black People ;)

NHL is even in there? haha no thanks. The only thing good about soccer is the World Cup.

Retire.

Archie Manning

George W. Bush

Browns - Oranges

Indians - Natives

Bring back roller derby.

st. andrew.

i put on my quinn jersey, my notre dame hat, and a giant eagle apron. i went as brady quinn two years from now when he's bagging groceries.

browns- wild dawgs. indians- big-wangs

soccer is stupid and anyone in this country who likes it is a moron.

get aids.... from his mom.

Yes. Starts with a "M"

Yes, Pirate. The kids love it.

(who allegedly are named for the African-American race) I have NEVER heard this theory before. Thats ridiculous! Are you serious? People think that?

How about Bulldogs for the Browns and the Walleye for the Indians

No

Shut-up and go away. Or, maybe get another area code tattoo.

The Browns are for Paul Brown, not for African Americans. However, they should be renamed to the Redskins and Black People

No, sorry, theoretically and unofficially the Browns are named after Joe Louis aka the Brown Bomber. It fact, it was Paul Brown's idea to name them after Louis, because he thought it was unseemly that they should be named after him:

http://www.smokebox.net/archives/sport/carney405.html

If you saw my set of Trivia question, we could name the Browns "The Aithocrous" which is a reddish brown color essentially the color of this posted reply. (not quite seal brown)

1. Saint Catherine. There are a few saints with this name.

2. Minerva McGonagall in mid-transformation. (I wore cat ears instead of a huge witches hat.)

3. Browns should be renamed the Oranges so we can keep the same uniforms and helmets. The Indians should be renamed the "Midges" after the insects that bugged the Yankees.

4. Nope.

5. Should he be what we want him to be? You mean a decent human being with character? Indeed. Until then, take a long walk off a short pier.

1. Saint Catherine. There are a few saints with this name.

2. Minerva McGonagall in mid-transformation. (I wore cat ears instead of a huge witches hat.)

3. Browns should be renamed the Oranges so we can keep the same uniforms and helmets. The Indians should be renamed the "Midges" after the insects that bugged the Yankees.

4. Nope.

5. Should he be what we want him to be? You mean a decent human being with character? Indeed. Until then, take a long walk off a short pier.

Another possibility for the Browns would be the "Batteries." :D

1. Were you named after a Saint? Which one(s)? nope.

2. Did you dress up for Halloween? As what? yes. mr. potato head.

3. Assume for a moment that political correctness went wild and the Browns (who allegedly are named for the African-American race) and the Indians ( who are named for the Native American race) were both "ordered" to change their names. What new names for these teams would you choose? I dont know. i would make sure that the color schemes remained similar though..

4. The MLS is now in the midst of their playoffs. Should the MLS, Soccer, now be given the designation as the "5th Major League" along with the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL? Everyone here seems to hate soccer. Is soccer the 5th most watched sport in America? I have no idea but I doubt it. All I know is that I enjoy playing soccer and love watching the World Cup. I dont follow the MLS, but who cares if it is considered the 5th major league sport or not? Does it really matter?

5. LeBron James in his new commercial asks "What should I do"? What, in your opinion, should he do? He should make the playoffs as the number 1 seed and best record in the NBA. Then he will choke in the playoffs like always by losing to the 8th seeded Cavs..

Allow me to rant a little here- slightly OT. 5 "major" pro sports? Depends if you're talking "team" sports. It pains me to say it, but my personal opinions aside- that it's a "skill" not a sport- probably golf tournaments outdraw MLB. There's the NFL- and then everything else. NBA is holding it's own- remains to be seen if LeBron & company have single-handedly torpedoed it.

Hockey is in BIG trouble, and MLB isn't far behind. The lack of a salary cap and revenue sharing will be the death of pro baseball, as well as the out-of control salaries. I'll save people from taking my sucker bet- the Saints- Steelers game outdrew the World Series. I can't believe listening to Scot Van Pelt on ESPN yesterday afternoon that he's that clueless about the Series. Here's a canned comment-

Baseball without a salary cap is unwatchable. Who cares if the yankees can buy themselves in the playoffs every year.

I stopped being a die hard fan after the 94 strike. I will only watch the post season if my team is in it.... otherwise i don't care

NFL and the NBA have passed MLB up... (ed. so has college football for that matter) but hey, look at the bright side, at least MLB isnt as doomed as the NHL. That is REALLY a dying league

Yeah, the Indians (if they're lucky) will make the big playoff push every four years- well, wake me up when that happens. I'm SICK of small market teams being the Farm Clubs for the Yankees and Red Sox. I told my local Reds fans- enjoy Votto while you can, as soon as his contract is up, it's off to NYC.

Allow me to rant a little here- slightly OT. 5 "major" pro sports? Depends if you're talking "team" sports. It pains me to say it, but my personal opinions aside- that it's a "skill" not a sport- probably golf tournaments outdraw MLB. There's the NFL- and then everything else. NBA is holding it's own- remains to be seen if LeBron & company have single-handedly torpedoed it.

Hockey is in BIG trouble, and MLB isn't far behind. The lack of a salary cap and revenue sharing will be the death of pro baseball, as well as the out-of control salaries. I'll save people from taking my sucker bet- the Saints- Steelers game outdrew the World Series. I can't believe listening to Scot Van Pelt on ESPN yesterday afternoon that he's that clueless about the Series. Here's a canned comment-

Baseball without a salary cap is unwatchable. Who cares if the yankees can buy themselves in the playoffs every year.

I stopped being a die hard fan after the 94 strike. I will only watch the post season if my team is in it.... otherwise i don't care

NFL and the NBA have passed MLB up... (ed. so has college football for that matter) but hey, look at the bright side, at least MLB isnt as doomed as the NHL. That is REALLY a dying league

Yeah, the Indians (if they're lucky) will make the big playoff push every four years- well, wake me up when that happens. I'm SICK of small market teams being the Farm Clubs for the Yankees and Red Sox. I told my local Reds fans- enjoy Votto while you can, as soon as his contract is up, it's off to NYC.

My question really is directed at "team sports" that represent cities mostly. I know that there are individual sports out there that are big.....golf, tennis, auto racing, etc. but I am just talking about team sports. ( I know some people say auto racing is a team sport because of the crew that is required.....but, just like a caddy in golf, these "teams" are only known by the name of the driver. When they come up with the "Nashville NASCAR Cats" or the "Birmingham NASCAR Stallions" then I would accept them as a team sport.

What are you talking about. Hockey is not in big trouble. As bad as the lost season was it was kind of a needed correction. The game is better off than it was before. Most people who bash hockey don't get it or understand it. I don't blame you not everyone can play it. what other sport do you need to learn a new way of self locomotion to play.

JMHO

Archived