THE BROWNS BOARD

Cody Risien, John Wooten to join Browns’ Legends

Richiswhere

The rest of the article is below but first I have a question for all of you.

What player(s) do you believe are missing from the Browns Legends list?

The Cleveland Browns will recognize a pair of former standout offensive linemen, inducting Cody Risien and John Wooten into the team's Legends program.

Risien and Wooten will be honored at a halftime ceremony during the Browns' home game against the New York Jets on Nov. 14.

The Cleveland Browns Legends program was started in 2001 to honor former players who have made a major impact on the organization.

Risien blocked for four 1,000-yard rushers.

He was a part of five AFC Central Division titles (1980, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989)… He was selected to two Pro Bowls (1987, 1988).

Wooten played in Cleveland from 1959 to 1967, blocking for Hall of Fame running backs in Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell, and Leroy Kelly.

He helped the Browns capture the 1964 NFL title

He blocked for eight 1,000-yard rushers, including the league’s leading rusher seven times. He was selected to two Pro Bowls (1966, 1967).

Cleveland Browns Legends*

Class of 2001: Ray Renfro, Gene Hickerson, Greg Pruitt, Bernie Kosar, Michael Dean Perry

Class of 2002: Mac Speedie, Brian Sipe, Clay Matthews

Class of 2003: Bob Gain, Dick Schafrath, Hanford Dixon

Class of 2004: Tommy James, Dub Jones, Gary Collins, Mike Pruitt

Class of 2005: Jim Ray Smith, Frank Ryan, Jerry Sherk, Frank Minnifield

Class of 2006: Walt Michaels, Jim Houston, Doug Dieken, Earnest Byner

Class of 2007: Horace Gillom, Bill Glass, Don Cockroft, Kevin Mack

Class of 2008: Warren Lahr, Paul Wiggin, Walter Johnson, Eric Metcalf

* The Legends program started in 2001 with the automatic induction of the Browns’ then Hall of Famers.

Risien and Wooten will be honored at a halftime ceremony during the Browns' home game against the New York Jets on Nov. 14.

That should be a great moment. i loved Wooten (and Hickerson) as a kid watching Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly- on TV. i loved Risien and all his teammates as i started to go to games. Congrats to both of these legends.

Both good picks.

I was wondering when they might start making the induction class smaller. If we kept adding 4 a year we would run out of viable names pretty quick.

Archived