THE BROWNS BOARD

The Brown you most respect as a player AND person

Canton Mike

First, there is no wrong answer here. We will have a number of different choices, as we all have different perspectives.

I have been a Brown's Fan since before Jimmy Brown was drafted, but my choice is Joe Thomas. My reasons, in no particular order, are:

--On Draft Day, he wasn't sitting in "ego row", but fishing with his Dad.

--All Pro every year in the league.

--Involved in many Community projects including the Blue Collar Corner, which he created.

--He is an avid outdoorsman, to which many of us can relate.

--Visited Iraq as an NFL representative, which speaks VOLUMES to this old Vietnam Vet..he didn't have to go, but did so at

personal risk, as did the others who accompanied him.

I just wanted to post this as I believe that we, as Brown's Fans, have been Blessed with many players who serve as fine examples for our Children & Grandchildren. We hear far too many negatives about pro athletes, but there are many positives. I have mentioned just one. I know there are others, Joe's just MY favorite. Let's hear yours.....

Mike

i agree with joe thomas as one of our draft picks. i like the pick up of fujita who is solid on and off the field but you have to watch his stance with the player's union position he has. we bring quality guys across both fronts (de/of) the other players will fall into line.

First, there is no wrong answer here. We will have a number of different choices, as we all have different perspectives.

I have been a Brown's Fan since before Jimmy Brown was drafted, but my choice is Joe Thomas. My reasons, in no particular order, are:

--On Draft Day, he wasn't sitting in "ego row", but fishing with his Dad.

--All Pro every year in the league.

--Involved in many Community projects including the Blue Collar Corner, which he created.

--He is an avid outdoorsman, to which many of us can relate.

--Visited Iraq as an NFL representative, which speaks VOLUMES to this old Vietnam Vet..he didn't have to go, but did so at

personal risk, as did the others who accompanied him.

I just wanted to post this as I believe that we, as Brown's Fans, have been Blessed with many players who serve as fine examples for our Children & Grandchildren. We hear far too many negatives about pro athletes, but there are many positives. I have mentioned just one. I know there are others, Joe's just MY favorite. Let's hear yours.....

Mike

I go back being a Brown fan almost as long as you. There many we've had that deserve this honor. I'd say Ozzie Newsome would be in that catagory. A class act on and off the field, it was great to watch him win many a game for us. His success carried on from the field to the FO. He will always be one the Browns greats.

I nominate:

JUDGE DICK "Bam Bam" AMBROSE Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas

BIOGRAPHY

Judge Dick Ambrose has served on the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas for more than six years. In that time, Judge Ambrose has presided over numerous civil and criminal trials, including seven capital murder cases, and has established himself as “one of the Court’s rising stars.” Judge Dick Ambrose has quickly earned a reputation as a hardworking and fair judge. He is a member of the Cuyahoga County Community Corrections Board and serves on the Court's Judicial Advisory Board for the new Judge Nancy McDonnell Community Based Correction Facility which is scheduled to open by the end of 2010. Judge Ambrose is the Chairman of the Court's Probation Committee and has assisted in the past with the Fugitive Safe Surrender Program.

Prior to becoming a judge, Dick Ambrose was a civil trial attorney with the law firm of Nicola Gudbranson & Cooper, LLC. Judge Ambrose began practicing law in 1987 when he joined the firm of McDonald Hopkins. During the next seventeen years, Dick Ambrose became a partner with Chriszt McGarry Co., LPA, and focused his practice on business litigation and employment law. Judge Ambrose is a June 1987 graduate of Cleveland Marshall College of Law and began his legal studies while still playing football for the Cleveland Browns. Judge Ambrose holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education, from the University of Virginia and is a native of New Rochelle, New York. However, Cleveland has been Judge Ambrose’s home for over 35 years.

ATHLETIC CAREER

One of Cleveland’s beloved “Kardiac Kids,” Dick Ambrose led the Cleveland Browns defense as middle linebacker and signal caller for ten years (1975 1985). Dick’s hard-hitting style of play earned him the nickname "Bam Bam." He led the team in tackles for five years from 1977 to 1981 and was the team's most valuable defensive player in 1977. Dick “Bam Bam” Ambrose was honored in 1981 by his teammates with the "Captain's Award" given to that team member who is: "A worker, a team player, and an inspiration." Dick was co captain in 1982 and was the NFL Players Association’s union representative in 1983 and 1984. Dick started sixty-four consecutive games before breaking his leg in a game against the New York Jets in 1983. After several surgeries in 1984, he tried to make a comeback in 1985, however injuries effectively ended his playing career and Dick retired from Professional Football to finish his law degree.

PERSONAL

Judge Ambrose and his wife, Mary Beth, live in Westlake with their three children, Rachel, Karen and Kristy. Judge Ambrose is active in many community and professional groups. He is a member of the Cleveland Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association. Judge Ambrose is the Past-President of the Cleveland Marshall Law Alumni Association, and is a member of the Board of Trustees of S.A.W (A division of the Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities). Judge Ambrose continues to be involved in charitable and fund raising activities for various organizations such as the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Our Lady of the Wayside, the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Cleveland, Special Olympics, and the March of Dimes. Judge Ambrose also coached youth basketball and softball and volunteered as an assistant coach of linebackers with the Bay High School Rockets.

neweststadiumshot900.jpg

Best of all, just last night JUDGE AMBROSE WINS RE-ELECTION IN CONVINCING FASHION!

Among Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge candidates, no one recieved more votes than Judge Dick Ambrose. Judge Ambrose garnered a total of 200,474 votes. This was more votes than any of the candidates, in both contested and uncontested Common Pleas races!

02F.jpg

While there are plenty of browns both current and past who have played with passion and served their community with dignity and class i have to agree with mike, joe thomas is a champion on and off the field and easily has my vote...

He is a guy that walks the walk instead of talking the talk...

Some love for JC.... I admire both he and Mo Williams for coming forward and saying they want to be in Cleveland and their hearts are with the fans and the city... plus I believe them.

"Some athletes just don’t get enough credit, while others steal the spotlight for dirty deeds. Time spent dedicated to drama and wrongdoings among our “heros” and “leaders” and “celebrities” completely outweighs the time spent congratulating those truly genuine athletes who do great things.

Josh Cribbs is an example of such an athlete.

He would probably disagree, or at least be modest in his disagreement, because that’s just the kind of guy he is. He would never claim to be a hero or a king. Even though I’m sure quite a few fans in Cleveland would argue to the contrary.

Not only is Josh Cribbs an excellent athlete for the Cleveland Browns organization (14 receptions, 185 yards, 1 TD and a 65 yard longest punt return this season thus far), he’s a stand-up man.

Last season when his contract was up, he, unlike some athletes from Cleveland, begged to stay. He was not being offered anything close to what he deserved, considering his weekly contributions to both sides of the ball, and waited for the best offer from the front office. He Tweeted constantly about how he wanted to stay, how he loved Cleveland and his fans, and how he knew he deserved a better contract.

Absolutely no fan disagreed with him. “PAY THE MAN” was a hashtag statement for weeks during his contract negotiation.

Cribbs is also unlike a few key (former) Cleveland athletes in that he’s supporting the area’s teams wherever he goes. I have yet to see an interview where he’s not wearing either Kent State University attire, an Indians cap, a Cavaliers cap or some type of Browns outerwear.

Last weekend at Kent State‘s home game against Ball State, Cribbs donated back the $100,000 he (estimated) was granted as a scholarship for his athletics and academics. KSU retired his jersey and dedicated the game to him. Josh Cribbs Day was a huge success: approximately 15,165 tickets were sold and Cribbs donated a good sum of money to the Rootstown, Ohio youth football league.

The night before Josh Cribbs Day, Cribbs held a benefit Halloween party at Fortress Nightclub in Cleveland where a portion proceeds went to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Here’s the flyer he handed out.

In the blog WaitingForNextYear, post writer Scott gives a great summation of the event held for Cribbs on Saturday at Dix Stadium in Kent.

At the event, Cribbs happily spoke to many news outlets and encouraged others in the NFL to give back to schools.

According to the post by Scott, Cribbs is only the fourth player to have his jersey retired at KSU. He joins Jim Corrigal, Eric Wilkerson and nine-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jack Lambert. Scott said that though hailing from the Washington D.C. area, Cribbs’ alma mater provides Cleveland fans with a link to consider him “one of us.”

Scott believes, and I agree, that fortunately, the Pro Bowler has returned the favor by embracing Cleveland as “home.”

Recently in an interview with Jim Rome, Cribbs impressed the need for a new leader in Cleveland after LeBron’s departure. He stated that he does think Cleveland fans are looking for someone to fill that void. However, he did urge fans not to select him, or pick that one guy. “The city of Cleveland is more than just one person. And it’s more than just one team… Wins heal everything and if we could just win something they’ll love us forever.”

Now that’s a team player, a good athlete and a good man. Cribbs is a well-spoken individual who, to me, is real. He’s not out to win people over, impress or anything like that. He doesn’t have to try. He’s just a genuinely good person. Professors here at Kent State would back this up in a second, as well.

The NFL and world of sports in general needs more athletes like Josh Cribbs.

http://prsportswatch.wordpress.com/2010/11/02/joshcribbs/

I nominate:

JUDGE DICK "Bam Bam" AMBROSE Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas

BIOGRAPHY

Judge Dick Ambrose has served on the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas for more than six years. In that time, Judge Ambrose has presided over numerous civil and criminal trials, including seven capital murder cases, and has established himself as “one of the Court’s rising stars.” Judge Dick Ambrose has quickly earned a reputation as a hardworking and fair judge. He is a member of the Cuyahoga County Community Corrections Board and serves on the Court's Judicial Advisory Board for the new Judge Nancy McDonnell Community Based Correction Facility which is scheduled to open by the end of 2010. Judge Ambrose is the Chairman of the Court's Probation Committee and has assisted in the past with the Fugitive Safe Surrender Program.

Prior to becoming a judge, Dick Ambrose was a civil trial attorney with the law firm of Nicola Gudbranson & Cooper, LLC. Judge Ambrose began practicing law in 1987 when he joined the firm of McDonald Hopkins. During the next seventeen years, Dick Ambrose became a partner with Chriszt McGarry Co., LPA, and focused his practice on business litigation and employment law. Judge Ambrose is a June 1987 graduate of Cleveland Marshall College of Law and began his legal studies while still playing football for the Cleveland Browns. Judge Ambrose holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education, from the University of Virginia and is a native of New Rochelle, New York. However, Cleveland has been Judge Ambrose’s home for over 35 years.

ATHLETIC CAREER

One of Cleveland’s beloved “Kardiac Kids,” Dick Ambrose led the Cleveland Browns defense as middle linebacker and signal caller for ten years (1975 1985). Dick’s hard-hitting style of play earned him the nickname "Bam Bam." He led the team in tackles for five years from 1977 to 1981 and was the team's most valuable defensive player in 1977. Dick “Bam Bam” Ambrose was honored in 1981 by his teammates with the "Captain's Award" given to that team member who is: "A worker, a team player, and an inspiration." Dick was co captain in 1982 and was the NFL Players Association’s union representative in 1983 and 1984. Dick started sixty-four consecutive games before breaking his leg in a game against the New York Jets in 1983. After several surgeries in 1984, he tried to make a comeback in 1985, however injuries effectively ended his playing career and Dick retired from Professional Football to finish his law degree.

PERSONAL

Judge Ambrose and his wife, Mary Beth, live in Westlake with their three children, Rachel, Karen and Kristy. Judge Ambrose is active in many community and professional groups. He is a member of the Cleveland Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association. Judge Ambrose is the Past-President of the Cleveland Marshall Law Alumni Association, and is a member of the Board of Trustees of S.A.W (A division of the Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities). Judge Ambrose continues to be involved in charitable and fund raising activities for various organizations such as the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Our Lady of the Wayside, the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Cleveland, Special Olympics, and the March of Dimes. Judge Ambrose also coached youth basketball and softball and volunteered as an assistant coach of linebackers with the Bay High School Rockets.

neweststadiumshot900.jpg

Best of all, just last night JUDGE AMBROSE WINS RE-ELECTION IN CONVINCING FASHION!

Among Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge candidates, no one recieved more votes than Judge Dick Ambrose. Judge Ambrose garnered a total of 200,474 votes. This was more votes than any of the candidates, in both contested and uncontested Common Pleas races!

02F.jpg

Ambrose was taking courses at Cleveland Marshall when I was attending there. That was in the late 70s while he was still playing.

gotta be cribbs. the man is nothing but talent. has no attitude whatsoever and after i saw him arguing to get back into the game after the shot from Harrison i knew he was a true player.

would have been Thomas, but he just whines way too much.

gotta be cribbs. the man is nothing but talent. has no attitude whatsoever and after i saw him arguing to get back into the game after the shot from Harrison i knew he was a true player.

Not sure where you are coming up with that. Want to explain?

its funny how the word "whines" ends in "hines"... reminds me of a crybaby..

Bernie Kosar.

You guys all know his story. Ohio kid that grew up as a Browns fan...... Won a NCAA championship...... Used creativity with Art to become a Brown....... Took us to the brink...... Was run out of town by psycho Belichick....... Has not forgotten his roots to this day.......

A few names: Tom Deleone, Dick Ambrose, Doug Dieken, Robert E. Jackson, Mike Johnson, Jerry Sherk, Mike Pruitt, Paul Warfield, Brian Sipe, Dave Logan, Ozzie Newsome, Rob Burnett, Clay Matthews, Phil Dawson, Matt Bahr, Joe Thomas, Fuge, Tony Jones, Berns etc. Probably leaving plenty of names off here, but those are a few quality players and guys.

On a side note, my gal just bought Dick Schafrath's house that he built while playing for the Browns. Before my time but a class act. He had to be cool, he built an indoor grill in there.

Archived