THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Already in the West Coast?

shepwrite

According to Belicheck in the PD they are:

Browns West Coast?

Despite the Browns' insistence this season that they're not running the West Coast offense, that's not how Belichick sees it."This is probably more of a West Coast team offensively than what we saw last week [in Minnesota] with Brad Childress," Belichick told New England reporters. "[i'm] not sure exactly who's doing what, but the foundation of this offense is clearly from the roots that Mike [Holmgren] had and what he did in Seattle."

Belichick reiterated that when asked about the similarities between the Browns and Mangini's Jets. "There is some carryover with the techniques, but offensively, [Cleveland is] nothing like the Jets," said Belichick. "They run a West-Coast type of offense and that's nothing like what they ran at New York."

Our version of the west coast is to Holgrem's as bologna is to steak. If we are indead running the west coast, it has Daboll's shit smeared all over it. Our hodge podge O can't do shit. I would prefer a full west coast system. At least then our WR's would be better used in drag and slant patterns over the crap they are having them do now.

I don't like belichek, over rated coach..

We shoud run the oop d ooop

I doubt anyone will agree with me, but as I already posted I would pass first on New England. If there was ever a week to bring out the West Coast (or "hybrid") offense, this would be it, especially if McCoy is starting. He got a lot of experience in Texas with a version of that offense. Keep those Patriots running all over the field with short stuff and the runs will be there...not to mention the occassional long ball.

However, IF we can effectively run the ball on the Patriots that works too. Let's just win. :)

Our version of the west coast is to Holgrem's as bologna is to steak. If we are indead running the west coast, it has Daboll's shit smeared all over it. Our hodge podge O can't do shit. I would prefer a full west coast system. At least then our WR's would be better used in drag and slant patterns over the crap they are having them do now.

Our offense has some elements of the WCO but its a very dumbed down version that focuses on run first and passing only to survive the drive..

The passing game lacks intelligent design and often reduces and restricts the WRs role and overall relevance imo...

As for billy boy i like him almost as much as i like dabs..

I'm not a big they don't have the talent guy but if the Browns are going to a full WCO I'd say they don't have the talent for that yet. I think thats why we see what looks like Daboll's simpleton offense sometimes. There are a few missing peices that are needed to run a good WCO.

They've got a Rathman in Hillis need a Craig

They've got a Young in Colt

They've got a Cross in Mack

They've got a Jones in Watson

They've got a Sapolu in Thomas

That being said, THEY NEED A RICE AND TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. Ward can be Lott! I thought Eric Wright would be Eric Wright but he's had some issues.

I'm not a big they don't have the talent guy but if the Browns are going to a full WCO I'd say they don't have the talent for that yet. I think thats why we see what looks like Daboll's simpleton offense sometimes. There are a few missing peices that are needed to run a good WCO.

They've got a Rathman in Hillis need a Craig

They've got a Young in Colt

They've got a Cross in Mack

They've got a Jones in Watson

They've got a Sapolu in Thomas

That being said, THEY NEED A RICE AND TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. Ward can be Lott! I thought Eric Wright would be Eric Wright but he's had some issues.

So? Maybe Joe Haden can be Eric Wright, and Eric Wright can be Derek Wrong?

I should know better than to bet the farm... but I'm betting the farm we have a WCO OC next year whether it's Holmgren or Gruden coaching the team, and I'm getting the sense it'll be one or the other. A full day later, Holmgren is making no effort to squelch anything he said yesterday, including that he might not be wearing a suit next year.

I think we'll draft a big, physical YAC receiver in round one and McCoy, Massoquoi, Stuckey, Moore, Watson, and Hillis should all pop champagne the second we do.

I should know better than to bet the farm... but I'm betting the farm we have a WCO OC next year whether it's Holmgren or Gruden coaching the team, and I'm getting the sense it'll be one or the other. A full day later, Holmgren is making no effort to squelch anything he said yesterday, including that he might not be wearing a suit next year.

I think we'll draft a big, physical YAC receiver in round one and McCoy, Massoquoi, Stuckey, Moore, Watson, and Hillis should all pop champagne the second we do.

Sounds good to me. Gruden, Holmgren (Mangini) whatever Like I've said before aside from Mangini you can trace those guys back to Paul Brown. I'm starting to think Mangini can become the guy. I haven't been sold on him in the past. If he can add Holgren's knowledge to the what he's learned from the Parcell school he comes from it could work. This all lends to the theory I've had for a while that there are two truly successful coaching trees in the NFL. The Parcells tree and the Walsh tree.

This is Belichick stirring the pot. He wants to get under the skin of Mangini and also stir up controversery here in Cleveland that Mike Holmgren is involved and wants to coach again and blah blah blah. The only thing west coast about this offense is the fact that our receivers suck and we throw short because they are never open down the field. Belichick hates Mangini and wants to cause problems.

This is Belichick stirring the pot. He wants to get under the skin of Mangini and also stir up controversery here in Cleveland that Mike Holmgren is involved and wants to coach again and blah blah blah. The only thing west coast about this offense is the fact that our receivers suck and we throw short because they are never open down the field. Belichick hates Mangini and wants to cause problems.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner Mangini and belichick will do anything and say anything to get on each others nerves.

The chances of Mangini losing his job after this season is slim to none, it wouldn't make any sense to pull the plug after the season.

Firing Mangini and hiring Holmgren would be very, very, very, very, very stupid. Will have to get all new players to fit his system, then in 2-3 years he'll retire and will have to hire another coach and get players to fit their system. The team is on the verge of being very good, why would we want to start over? IMO there's not a coach in the league the would have this team playing better than Mangini has, and Im pretty disappointed that Holmgren didn't express more confidence in his head coach.

What exactly is a WCO? We throw to the RB's and TE's alot but does that make it a WCO? New England does the same thing. Does the need for our shorter QB's having to roll out institute WCO? I like to think its the Cleveland Browns offense, you take different elements you like from different scheme's and you make it your own. I guess every team runs the WCO....in some aspect....right????

Firing Mangini and hiring Holmgren would be very, very, very, very, very stupid. Will have to get all new players to fit his system, then in 2-3 years he'll retire and will have to hire another coach and get players to fit their system. The team is on the verge of being very good, why would we want to start over? IMO there's not a coach in the league the would have this team playing better than Mangini has, and Im pretty disappointed that Holmgren didn't express more confidence in his head coach.

What exactly is a WCO? We throw to the RB's and TE's alot but does that make it a WCO? New England does the same thing. Does the need for our shorter QB's having to roll out institute WCO? I like to think its the Cleveland Browns offense, you take different elements you like from different scheme's and you make it your own. I guess every team runs the WCO....in some aspect....right????

I think you sort of answered your own question: Yes, virtually every offense feels West Coast-ey these days. But the Browns passing offense is again ranked near the bottom in yards and QBR... in a passing league. And in that low-ranked area are a whole lot of teams NOT contending.

Holmgren is one of the kingpins of the WCO and the team he was hired to save doesn't pass the ball at a professional level. It's tough to NOT see how he doesn't exert more control over it in some way. The most logical way is going to a WCO with a WCO coordinator for his WCO-friendly hand-picked QB.

But, like you said... it really doesn't change our personnel all that much, and everybody runs the WCO differently anyway. The Browns have already said they want to combine a WCO passing offense with a power running game. Fortunately, Hillis is also an excellent receiver and we already have the TEs and QB for it.

We're short one big-time #1 WR whatever offense we run. Committing to Holmgren's version of the WCO isn't going to change that. And I doubt we'll change the defense much at all. In fact, Ryan could be asked to stay, especially if the coach comes from within (Holmgren).

Do you actually own a farm? With cows, pigs, chickens etc.?

I think that you can take just about any pro-style offense and add features of the WCO and the pundits will go all goofy calling it a West Coast Offense. Bill Walsh himself said that there are very few people around who understand the complexities of his true "WCO." Just because a team predominantly uses short passes over runs for ball control doesn't make it a complete West Coast Offense. I think that term is WAY over used.

I think that you can take just about any pro-style offense and add features of the WCO and the pundits will go all goofy calling it a West Coast Offense. Bill Walsh himself said that there are very few people around who understand the complexities of his true "WCO." Just because a team predominantly uses short passes over runs for ball control doesn't make it a complete West Coast Offense. I think that term is WAY over used.

I don't care if the run the single wing or the veer as long as they win.

Like I said elsewhere call it the North Coast Offense....and add a little Wilddawg to it.

Let's put our own Cleveland brand on these things. (Of course, first, the team has to become successful)

That's a great point. I'm a HUGE Bill Walsh fan. In the Bill Walsh movie, Paul Brown is the villain who tried to squelch him (true). I think Bill Walsh changed offensive football as much as Brown (even though he was a dick), Coryell, and whoever the hell had Slinging Sammy Baugh inventing the forward pass.

Archived