THE BROWNS BOARD

Interested in Winning 10 or 11 Games Next Year?

shepwrite

Here's how the Browns do it:

1. You can only do so much. You can't seriously find an A-list WR, QB, pass rusher, and 3-4 DE in one offseason. So you commit to McCoy and draft the best WR you can get, trading down if it makes sense. Do NOT draft another corner, left guard, center, or safety with a 7th pick or something like that. Draft someone who touches the freaking football.

It's a really strong WR draft. Conveniently, we could really use a physical YAC-ey kind of guy to go with Mo and Stuckey... and they have those in Georgia, South Bend, and Pittsburgh.

2. As crazy as it might sound, keep anybody named Shaun Rogers, D'Qwell Jackson, and Matt Roth. Not just keep, actually, but sign. Jackson is the most under-appreciated defender in Browns history. You can't fake getting a million tackles and Football Outsiders says no, they weren't all 40 yards downfield. He had an AMAZING 2008, and his chest will heal. Rogers is born to play DE in this 3-4. Roth is a beast. Benard is a comer for sure. The guys we need to get to make this defense great are already here.

Robaire Smith is one of the best 3-4 DE's in the league, period. If you could start a front 7 of Smith, Rubin, Rogers, Benard, Gocong, Jackson, and Roth? Well, nobody would run on you and you could get to the passer. Fujita could play on running downs, in fact. Schaefering could rotate in. Can we have those guys? I'm not sure. Roth, Rogers, and Jackson might want out.

3. Start Lauvao and Womack on the right side the rest of this year and next year. Womack is playing the best football of his career, and I don't see why it would suddenly stop. Yes, we should draft another right-sider in round 2 or 3... but he shouldn't start next year.

4. Bring in another pass rusher in round 2 or 3... or free agency. Ryan loves to rotate his front 7 and there will be snaps available.

5. Get an offensive coordinator from Holmgren's tree and commit to the WCO Holmgren believes in and drafted McCoy to play. Dar. This is going to happen so I don't have to say it, but I did.

6. Upgrade Abe Elam. He's not as bad as people wanna say... but he's not good enough to start for an 11-5 team. That guy might well be on the team already and named Sheldon Brown.

Well I can't argue one point of that well stated and thought out post . My scouting abilities and talent evaluating are limited to say the least , but I know what I see as far as game play , drive , enthusiasm , and over all body language of the players . I am of the belief we are not far from being a team to reckon with .

I really believe you are correct in thinking we need to change the OC . What surprised me is you said it and I have been thinking the same thing , along with multitudes of others . I just hope Mangini and Ryan can find a way to stay on , as I believe they are keepers .

1. You can only do so much. You can't seriously find an A-list WR, QB, pass rusher, and 3-4 DE in one offseason. So you commit to McCoy and draft the best WR you can get, trading down if it makes sense. Do NOT draft another corner, left guard, center, or safety with a 7th pick or something like that. Draft someone who touches the freaking football.

It's a really strong WR draft. Conveniently, we could really use a physical YAC-ey kind of guy to go with Mo and Stuckey... and they have those in Georgia, South Bend, and Pittsburgh.

2. As crazy as it might sound, keep anybody named Shaun Rogers, D'Qwell Jackson, and Matt Roth. Not just keep, actually, but sign. Jackson is the most under-appreciated defender in Browns history. You can't fake getting a million tackles and Football Outsiders says no, they weren't all 40 yards downfield. He had an AMAZING 2008, and his chest will heal. Rogers is born to play DE in this 3-4. Roth is a beast. Benard is a comer for sure. The guys we need to get to make this defense great are already here.

Robaire Smith is one of the best 3-4 DE's in the league, period. If you could start a front 7 of Smith, Rubin, Rogers, Benard, Gocong, Jackson, and Roth? Well, nobody would run on you and you could get to the passer. Fujita could play on running downs, in fact. Schaefering could rotate in. Can we have those guys? I'm not sure. Roth, Rogers, and Jackson might want out.

3. Start Lauvao and Womack on the right side the rest of this year and next year. Womack is playing the best football of his career, and I don't see why it would suddenly stop. Yes, we should draft another right-sider in round 2 or 3... but he shouldn't start next year.

4. Bring in another pass rusher in round 2 or 3... or free agency. Ryan loves to rotate his front 7 and there will be snaps available.

5. Get an offensive coordinator from Holmgren's tree and commit to the WCO Holmgren believes in and drafted McCoy to play. Dar. This is going to happen so I don't have to say it, but I did.

6. Upgrade Abe Elam. He's not as bad as people wanna say... but he's not good enough to start for an 11-5 team. That guy might well be on the team already and named Sheldon Brown.

A few tidbits about your post. Shaun Rodgers isn't going anywhere, and Roth has done more than enough this season to get his contract extension. I also believe that Jackson isn't just going to be let go.

Fujita is good enough to play every down. Not just running downs.

Stick with McCoy if he continues to show he is the real deal, if not draft that future QB, agree that we need a play making WR.

Do not start Lauvao this year until he has shown in practice that he is better. Starting someone who hasn't done better than the person ahead of his in practice doesn't make any sense.

Elam is a good guy with a troubled past and I love what he does for the Cleveland community, but he would be better utilized as a back up or on special teams.

Good stuff, guys.

If we can keep Rogers, Jackson, and Roth... I'll be thrilled. I've read stories of all three of them leaving. Jackson is the one most likely to stay because he has zero value because of the injuries and nobody knows his abilities better than this administration. Roth has told people there's no way he'll stay after not getting paid and Rogers has said he's better in a 4-3.

Agreed on Fujita... but I wouldn't bookend a 3-4 with him and Roth. You need speed on one side and neither has it. I like Benard or a newcomer on passing downs. Truth is, Ryan likes about 10 guys for his front 7, if not more.

In the pass happy NFL, we need a cover guy at the safety opposite our best draft pick last year (Ward). Assuming Wright continues digging out of his slump (had a very nice game against the Saints), Brown moving to safety just makes sense.

i agree that the first pick should be a WR.....jon baldwin out of pitt fits exactly what you are looking for and not only that, but hes a cold weather guy already and he understands the concept of a run first offense........and he can block

however, i dont think you should be surprised if they pick another tackle

this draft doesnt have as many elite tackles as the past few and grabbing one to sure up the right side of the line would also fill a huge huge need

I'd buy a first round right tackle if we drafted 20th or lower... but I don't think we will. After Thomas and Mack, it would be an unprecedented distribution of cap space. It'd be like drafting a corner 7th next year.

You can only cover and block your way so far. Eventually, you want some cap at skill positions... and pass rush. The actual elite NFL positions (along with left tackle, which we have).

Good stuff, guys.

If we can keep Rogers, Jackson, and Roth... I'll be thrilled. I've read stories of all three of them leaving. Jackson is the one most likely to stay because he has zero value because of the injuries and nobody knows his abilities better than this administration. Roth has told people there's no way he'll stay after not getting paid and Rogers has said he's better in a 4-3.

Agreed on Fujita... but I wouldn't bookend a 3-4 with him and Roth. You need speed on one side and neither has it. I like Benard or a newcomer on passing downs. Truth is, Ryan likes about 10 guys for his front 7, if not more.

In the pass happy NFL, we need a cover guy at the safety opposite our best draft pick last year (Ward). Assuming Wright continues digging out of his slump (had a very nice game against the Saints), Brown moving to safety just makes sense.

I think the only one is danger of leaving is Jackson and that would be because he wouldn't be resigned. From what I have heard Roth was pissed, but has since cooled his jets and is actually happy at the moment, plus he will be getting a contract extension after the season is over. Rodgers really doesn't have a choice since he is still going to be under contract and the only way he is getting out is if he refuses to play, which I don't see happening.

Robaire Smith is getting up there in age for a DE,along with Rogers.D. Jackson is a non factor he'll not be here next year.Playmakers,the Browns have ZERO.There are alot of holes on this team.Next year that DL will be even older.This team needs a lot stronger draft.2010 we got one starter from a 5-11 season,not good enough.How about drafting a WR,RB,DE,RT,CB,that can start from day one.

Robaire Smith is getting up there in age for a DE,along with Rogers.D. Jackson is a non factor he'll not be here next year.Playmakers,the Browns have ZERO.There are alot of holes on this team.Next year that DL will be even older.This team needs a lot stronger draft.2010 we got one starter from a 5-11 season,not good enough.How about drafting a WR,RB,DE,RT,CB,that can start from day one.

Too many fixes... and most not necessary.

The RB is Hillis.

Smith and Rogers are really good. I'm not saying they should start in 2015. I'm talking about 2011. Neither is 40. Our starting NT, the only premier DL position in a 3-4, is like 12.

Womack is the starting RT and he's really good. Did you see the New Orleans game? He's also not 40.

I hear you on Wright... but he's very talented. I think he and Haden will start for the next 7 or 8 years.

Pretty head on shep but still so many gaps to fill and only a little high quality sealant to go round, however an 11-5 season next year is not out of the question especially if we actually get an offensive, offensive coordinator..

I wouldnt rule out a 9-7 season this year at least not just yet...

Pretty head on shep but still so many gaps to fill and only a little high quality sealant to go round, however an 11-5 season next year is not out of the question especially if we actually get an offensive, offensive coordinator..

I wouldnt rule out a 9-7 season this year at least not just yet...

You could argue that our offensive coordinator is pretty offensive as it stands now.

some healthy food for thought here. i'm not so sure we'll hold up in some of the areas you mentioned, but then again maybe we will. curious though, did you really mean the Browns may consider drafting a center high? or a LG? either before a RT seems like a total head-scratcher to me. i think you were just stating emphatically they shouldn't, but i'm not so sure i follow you exactly.

along with many others, i also like the idea of taking an elite WR as the priority. as CL said, Jon Baldwin would be a nice fit imo as well. a weapon like that would go a long way on the Browns O.

i also think Fajita is an every down player, and he's just beginning to come on and really gel. i feel he'll grow into Ryan's system before Benard stops making his mental errors.

it's nice to see Robaire get some rare praise from a fan--he's been one of my favorite players since he divorced the piss and arrived in CLE--but sadly i think he's a duster. i hope not, but he wears enough braces to look bionic and duct tape only goes so far.

i liked Pork Chop's play in spot duty last year a lot, but it's weird to hear someone say he's playing the best ball of his career when he's been 3rd on the RT depth chart. not saying he's not, as i didn't follow him before he came to CLE. since he's pretty much destined to finish the year there now i'll be watching him intently from here on out.

lastly, Elam seems like a great citizen and all around nice fellow but let's face it--he pretty much sucks as a starting SS in the AFCN. i'll gladly take Sean "Mr-goal-line-stand" Jones back in a heartbeat. godspeed Larry Asante, godspeed.

Agreed. OC and WR are the big holes.

I agree that we are in desperate need at WR. And I also see us needing another OL on the right side and definately a corner. I cannot believe that ANYBODY would say that they can see Wright starting for us for the next 7-8 years. He will have to learn to look for the ball for that to happen. Something that he hasn't managed to learn in his entire football career.

As for the OC I am starting to believe that we will not see a change there either. Mangini IS our coach and he should definately be retained, and Daboll is his guy. Not that it means that he can't be fired. But I really believe that he has improved this year, and his play calling has been pretty good over the past 4-5 games. As the talent on this team improves he will continue to look better. Also IF McCoy is the real deal that he appears to be then do you change your Offensive Coordinator and make him learn another system after 1 season in the pros. I would say no to that. If a change was to be made at OC it should have been made after last season when we brought in 3 new quarterbacks. I know many of you will disagree but I really don't see any of our coaches being fired after we finish up at 7-9. Which would be a great season for a team that doesn't even have one legit threat at wide receiver, has started 3 qb's and has a corner that can't cover anybody.

i agree 57, this year's offensive players have helped Daboll show us who he really is. with some play-makers at WR, he'd look even better.

one guy i'm pretty luke warm on is Watson. there's some good, some blah. i like that he gets great separation against LB's and avg safeties, can find the soft spots in the D, and catches his passes most of the time...but has killed some drives dropping others. both McCoy's INT's vs the Piss should have been caught>>>he hit him right in the hands on both. they were tough NFL catches, but Heiden and K2 would have reeled them in and he could have if he layed out. as a consolation, Royal wouldn't have caught them either, but i think Moore probably would have. i'll continue to watch him carefully.

I didnt realize how many freeagents we have coming up in 2011. If any of them leave, we are going to need to be spending big money to replace them. I see the Chad Greenway is a FA next year, I would love to see him in at ML for us.

For us to compete we will need to draft highlight reel type players with our first pick has to be Green or Baldwin. If we have one of those stretching the field our running game would be even better. I cant wait to have Hillis and Hardesty running people over next year.

Archived