THE BROWNS BOARD

Wade Phillips Fired !

BrownIndian

The Wade Phillips era ended in Dallas on Monday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fired Phillips as head coach following the team's 1-7 start to the season. The Cowboys named offensive coordinator Jason Garrett the interim head coach, NFL Network reported.

Phillips went 34-22 in more than three seasons as Cowboys coach. And despite receiving a contract extension last winter, he could not survive a dismal campaign this year, when the Cowboys had hoped to become the first team to host and play in the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys lost 45-7 in Green Bay on Sunday. It was their second straight blowout loss following a broken left clavicle suffered by Pro Bowl QB Tony Romo in Week 7.

Cowboys players reacted somberly to Phillips' dismissal in the team's locker room.

"Anytime someone loses a job and you obviously have something to do with it, it's tough," WR Miles Austin said.

QB Jon Kitna, who has become the team's starter after the loss of Romo, said that Phillips' firing is not a cure-all for the team's problems, however.

"Hopefully competitive character and personal pride kicks in," Kitna said. "If there was an easy solution to this, we wouldn't be here.

"But there's not an easy solution. It's going to take time to fix."

Jones vowed after Sunday's loss that there would be "consequences" for players and coaches. But his dismissal of Phillips is still surprising given how adamantly he remained in recent weeks that he would not fire his coach during the season.

As recently as Friday Jones said that he would retain Phillips through the rest of the year. Last month, Jones predicted there would be few coaching changes in the NFL this year.

The Cowboys, five games out of first place in the NFC East, are tied with the Carolina Panthers for the worst record in the NFC. They trail only the 0-8 Buffalo Bills for the NFL's worst record.

They travel to New York to play the Giants next week.

Garrett, who turned down opportunities to become a head coach in Baltimore and Atlanta in 2008, has been the team's offensive coordinator since 2007. He was a backup QB for the Cowboys from 1993-1999.

Did you also hear they forgot to renew the dallascowboys.com domain registration too? The main web site for the Cowboys is expected to be messed up for at least 48 hours.

It's about time Wade got canned.

People in Dallas were in a real bad mood this morning. Early this morning, before the Wade Phillips firing was announced, I posted the following on one of the Cowboys message boards I've been on for some time and it got banned for being "poorly timed". I apologize if you're not interested and I know it's not Browns related but I thought it was curious that one of the moderators deleted it. There have been tons of "humorous" posts about Jerry Jones, but this morning most people were not in the mood. I guess my attempt at humor failed. :huh:

Jerry Jones names new interim coach for the Dallas Cowboys

In a surprise move by Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Cesar Milan has been named interim coach, replacing the embattled Wade Phillips. Milan a.k.a. the Dog Whisperer is a 41 year old self taught professional dog trainer.

When asked his rationale for this coaching move Jerry Jones provided the following response.

1) Well, first off we have to get back to basics. What is more basic than "sit", "stay", "roll over".....wait...forget "roll over", we have that one down good. The dog whisperer can train a dog to sit and stay in about fifteen minutes. He should be able to teach our players the same thing before the Giants game. That dang Wade couldn't do it in 9 weeks.

2) Cesar (pronounced "CEEEEEEEE SAUR" by Jones) also founded the Dog Psychology Center in South LA. Just like those poor dogs, our players need serious psychological help. And, South LA is a tough part of town with a lot of mean, rowdy people surrounding the center. This matches the mood of the Cowboys fans.

3) Cesar has written several books which have all made the NY Times bestseller list. I bet he will write a book about me some day. I like that.

4) Milan also calls for "calm, assertive energy". I like that too, it reminds me of my good friend Wade Phillips....well, except for the assertive and energy parts. But hey, things are pretty hectic around ol' Jerry these days so calm sure sounds good to me.

5) When Cesar was a boy, he was called El Perrero which means "the dog boy". I am thinking of using that to create a fans area at the stadium called the Dawg Pound. I thought of that all by myself. It will be for those great fans who love my latest head coaching selection. I am gonna give each fan a free cotton candy at each game.

6) Cesar also recognizes the importance of the pack leader. I am the leader of the Cowboys pack and it is about time people recognize and, more importantly respond to, my pack leader role. Pack leaders provide exercise, discipline and affection. I like those things. I love putting on my leather outfit while I work up a sweat, get spanked by every team in the NFL and then get to have all that tender affection from our great fans.

7. Cesar has some great quotes. My favorite one is "It’s not about the dog. It’s always about us. It’s always about the owner. "It’s up to us to create an environment and circumstances in which the dog can thrive and be itself.” That is really why I bought the Dallas Cowboys. I need to thrive in my own little world. I also love his quote, "Humans are the only animals who will follow unstable pack leaders." It's been so true in Dallas.

I have never been so excited about one of our new coaches. Cesar is really gonna turn things around in Big D.

HEY!!!! Who pissed on my leg?

Did you also hear they forgot to renew the dallascowboys.com domain registration too? The main web site for the Cowboys is expected to be messed up for at least 48 hours.

People in Dallas were in a real bad mood this morning. Early this morning, before the Wade Phillips firing was announced, I posted the following on one of the Cowboys message boards I've been on for some time and it got banned for being "poorly timed". I apologize if you're not interested and I know it's not Browns related but I thought it was curious that one of the moderators deleted it. There have been tons of "humorous" posts about Jerry Jones, but this morning most people were not in the mood. I guess my attempt at humor failed. :huh:

In a surprise move by Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Cesar Milan has been named interim coach, replacing the embattled Wade Phillips. Milan a.k.a. the Dog Whisperer is a 41 year old self taught professional dog trainer.

When asked his rationale for this coaching move Jerry Jones provided the following response.

1) Well, first off we have to get back to basics. What is more basic than "sit", "stay", "roll over".....wait...forget "roll over", we have that one down good. The dog whisperer can train a dog to sit and stay in about fifteen minutes. He should be able to teach our players the same thing before the Giants game. That dang Wade couldn't do it in 9 weeks.

2) Cesar (pronounced "CEEEEEEEE SAUR" by Jones) also founded the Dog Psychology Center in South LA. Just like those poor dogs, our players need serious psychological help. And, South LA is a tough part of town with a lot of mean, rowdy people surrounding the center. This matches the mood of the Cowboys fans.

3) Cesar has written several books which have all made the NY Times bestseller list. I bet he will write a book about me some day. I like that.

4) Milan also calls for "calm, assertive energy". I like that too, it reminds me of my good friend Wade Phillips....well, except for the assertive and energy parts. But hey, things are pretty hectic around ol' Jerry these days so calm sure sounds good to me.

5) When Cesar was a boy, he was called El Perrero which means "the dog boy". I am thinking of using that to create a fans area at the stadium called the Dawg Pound. I thought of that all by myself. It will be for those great fans who love my latest head coaching selection. I am gonna give each fan a free cotton candy at each game.

6) Cesar also recognizes the importance of the pack leader. I am the leader of the Cowboys pack and it is about time people recognize and, more importantly respond to, my pack leader role. Pack leaders provide exercise, discipline and affection. I like those things. I love putting on my leather outfit while I work up a sweat, get spanked by every team in the NFL and then get to have all that tender affection from our great fans.

7. Cesar has some great quotes. My favorite one is "It’s not about the dog. It’s always about us. It’s always about the owner. "It’s up to us to create an environment and circumstances in which the dog can thrive and be itself.” That is really why I bought the Dallas Cowboys. I need to thrive in my own little world. I also love his quote, "Humans are the only animals who will follow unstable pack leaders." It's been so true in Dallas.

I have never been so excited about one of our new coaches. Cesar is really gonna turn things around in Big D.

In other news, who gives a shit?

The Wade Phillips era ended in Dallas on Monday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fired Phillips as head coach following the team's 1-7 start to the season. The Cowboys named offensive coordinator Jason Garrett the interim head coach, NFL Network reported.

Phillips went 34-22 in more than three seasons as Cowboys coach. And despite receiving a contract extension last winter, he could not survive a dismal campaign this year, when the Cowboys had hoped to become the first team to host and play in the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys lost 45-7 in Green Bay on Sunday. It was their second straight blowout loss following a broken left clavicle suffered by Pro Bowl QB Tony Romo in Week 7.

Cowboys players reacted somberly to Phillips' dismissal in the team's locker room.

"Anytime someone loses a job and you obviously have something to do with it, it's tough," WR Miles Austin said.

QB Jon Kitna, who has become the team's starter after the loss of Romo, said that Phillips' firing is not a cure-all for the team's problems, however.

"Hopefully competitive character and personal pride kicks in," Kitna said. "If there was an easy solution to this, we wouldn't be here.

"But there's not an easy solution. It's going to take time to fix."

Jones vowed after Sunday's loss that there would be "consequences" for players and coaches. But his dismissal of Phillips is still surprising given how adamantly he remained in recent weeks that he would not fire his coach during the season.

As recently as Friday Jones said that he would retain Phillips through the rest of the year. Last month, Jones predicted there would be few coaching changes in the NFL this year.

The Cowboys, five games out of first place in the NFC East, are tied with the Carolina Panthers for the worst record in the NFC. They trail only the 0-8 Buffalo Bills for the NFL's worst record.

They travel to New York to play the Giants next week.

Garrett, who turned down opportunities to become a head coach in Baltimore and Atlanta in 2008, has been the team's offensive coordinator since 2007. He was a backup QB for the Cowboys from 1993-1999.

I'm sure this is not surprise in Texas. The players quit on him. Something more then the coach though.

OK, if no one else will I will give you props for being creative and funny.

i don't mean to sound like a dick, but nobody cares. i'm sick of espn sucking jerry jones'/brett favre's balls.

best post in ten years of NFL football..............Good job

They can't fire everybody so the coach had to go. They usually wait til the end of the year but the players have the cars running in the parking lot. This makes you appreciate what the Browns pulled off late last year. When the team quits this early...you have to make a change to show them accountability. These guys have to play for their jobs the rest of the season. I don't think JJ really wanted to can Wade right now but with the media monster he's milked all these years...it forced his hand.

Archived