THE BROWNS BOARD

Come Together Brown Nation

Jantz2086

There's a difference between Hope and Reality, obviously. But as someone who has studied the game, played collegiate football and currently coaches on the High School level - I can honestly say my resume is fitting enough to say what I am about to say.

The Cleveland Browns have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, this year. Yes, this year.

This weekend is the main point of the season - that brings us into contention or completely takes us out. The schedule, ultimately, favors us at this point - after a Jets victory. Games against, Carolina, Jacksonville and Buffalo are ones we MUST take advantage of.

Baltimore still has New Orleans, Atlanta and Houston on their schedule. They also have Pittsburgh and a possible shocking Tampa Bay game. Pittsburgh still has New England, the Jets, Baltimore. Pittsburgh will win the division, but it isn't impossible that we get a Wildcard. If Baltimore, Pitt and Cleveland take care of the Jets - we could be in a prime spot to take the second wild card slot from the Jets, and one of the 5-3 teams in the other divisions (KC, OAK).

Are we ready for the playoffs? Yes. You do not have back to back wins like we as an organization just had if we were not ready. This team is better than ANY (2001 and 2007 included) Browns team since the new arrival. It's younger, it's faster, it's stronger, it's more complete - it has more depth, and it is far more balanced than any squad we've seen put out there. Why? Because we have built a strong line on both accounts. It's the same rebuilding process you saw with the Colts and the Patriots starting in the early 2000's. You start with the core, and you build around strength. Because our offensive line is so dominant we have the ability to run the West Coast/Run offense that Colt McCoy could adapt to with ease, and be successful. Our defense is no joke, it truly is becoming top notch. In terms of the secondary, as of the last two games they have dropped back several times gaining an extra step or two, while Ryan has put more LB's in the flats (as compared to our losses).

Most will laugh, and say it is unrealistic. But The Cleveland Browns have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, this year. It all falls on this Sunday friends.

There's a difference between Hope and Reality, obviously. But as someone who has studied the game, played collegiate football and currently coaches on the High School level - I can honestly say my resume is fitting enough to say what I am about to say.

The Cleveland Browns have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, this year. Yes, this year.

This weekend is the main point of the season - that brings us into contention or completely takes us out. The schedule, ultimately, favors us at this point - after a Jets victory. Games against, Carolina, Jacksonville and Buffalo are ones we MUST take advantage of.

Baltimore still has New Orleans, Atlanta and Houston on their schedule. They also have Pittsburgh and a possible shocking Tampa Bay game. Pittsburgh still has New England, the Jets, Baltimore. Pittsburgh will win the division, but it isn't impossible that we get a Wildcard. If Baltimore, Pitt and Cleveland take care of the Jets - we could be in a prime spot to take the second wild card slot from the Jets, and one of the 5-3 teams in the other divisions (KC, OAK).

Are we ready for the playoffs? Yes. You do not have back to back wins like we as an organization just had if we were not ready. This team is better than ANY (2001 and 2007 included) Browns team since the new arrival. It's younger, it's faster, it's stronger, it's more complete - it has more depth, and it is far more balanced than any squad we've seen put out there. Why? Because we have built a strong line on both accounts. It's the same rebuilding process you saw with the Colts and the Patriots starting in the early 2000's. You start with the core, and you build around strength. Because our offensive line is so dominant we have the ability to run the West Coast/Run offense that Colt McCoy could adapt to with ease, and be successful. Our defense is no joke, it truly is becoming top notch. In terms of the secondary, as of the last two games they have dropped back several times gaining an extra step or two, while Ryan has put more LB's in the flats (as compared to our losses).

Most will laugh, and say it is unrealistic. But The Cleveland Browns have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, this year. It all falls on this Sunday friends.

We still have a bit of an uphill battle due to starting 0-3, but the Browns are playing inspired football right now, and have shown signs of becoming relevant again. This team is definitely competing, and fun to watch which is something with the exception of maybe 2001, 2002, and 2007 we have not seen since their return. It may be too tall of an order to fill, but this NFL season has been absolutely bizarre, so the Browns reaching the playoffs wouldn't suprise me. We would seriously have to run the table and end up 11-5. 10-6 or 9-7 probably wouldn't cut it. At any rate this team is light years ahead from last year. With that, sit back and enjoy the ride.

We cant rule anything out yet, hope is still alive and our destiny is pretty much in our own hands...

With that said i hope the coaches can make the right decisions and the players can execute the prescribed gameplans, all we can ask of our team and the coaches is to whole heartedly give it everything they have every game and win or lose, sneak into the playoffs or not, the browns fans with growing pride and confidence will be there and more than ready to support this organizations efforts!

Only problem is, once (if) they lose a game(s) people will jump back on the "same ole Browns" and everything will be back to square one.

Perhaps. But I think this team has turned the corner. Again we have a tall order to fill due to a slow start, but we are definitely on the verge, and by next season we should be able to take that next step. I think as Browns fans it's time to let go of the heartbreak from the past, and bury the old skeletons, and focus on today, and the future, as it is definitely looking brighter.

I like the positive thinking but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. McCoy is a rookie and he doesn't have a bevy of weapons to exploit. Hillis, is the only real offensive weapon right now. So any team which shuts down Hillis coupled with a poor showing by McCoy ( which can be expected from any rookie QB) could be trouble. Our defense is not proven. Realistically, to make the playoffs we need to go 7-1 the rest of the way. A lot of luck and that can happen. I would be happen to finish 9-7 or 8-8. I stated before the season that 8-8 should be the goal. I am upping that to 9-7 which would be a 6-2 finish which would be great.

A correction of the previous as well. The Browns were 7-9 in 2001 so I do not understand why that year was brought up as a success in two posts.

I like the positive thinking but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. McCoy is a rookie and he doesn't have a bevy of weapons to exploit. Hillis, is the only real offensive weapon right now. So any team which shuts down Hillis coupled with a poor showing by McCoy ( which can be expected from any rookie QB) could be trouble. Our defense is not proven. Realistically, to make the playoffs we need to go 7-1 the rest of the way. A lot of luck and that can happen. I would be happen to finish 9-7 or 8-8. I stated before the season that 8-8 should be the goal. I am upping that to 9-7 which would be a 6-2 finish which would be great.

A correction of the previous as well. The Browns were 7-9 in 2001 so I do not understand why that year was brought up as a success in two posts.

No I meant 2001, because they went from 5-27 in the first 2 years to 7-9 with very little talent, and were close to being in the playoff race until near the end of the season where they lost several games. At any rate, the 2001 Browns were better to watch than the 1999-2000 version. That was all I was saying.

I agree with next game against the jets is the biggest game of the season by far. Can you imagine the jolt it will give this team knowing they just beat the Saints...then the Patriots..........then the JETS? The players would then feel like they are invincible. Teams will fear playing us, and the game will come so much easier to Colt when we have to play the crappier teams. If we win next game, we will be 4-5, then look at the motivation to get that next game to get to .500! It all snowballs after that as we player the weaker teams in our schedule. BUT it all starts with the Jets. IMHO, the Jets dont have a chance in Hell.

Rich, I agree with you 100% Let's shoot for 8-8 this year, (that's going 5-3 the rest of the way out) and anything beyond that is gravy.

The Jets game is critical- it's about a must win before we can even start dreaming about the "P" word. OTOH, if you saw some of Cribb's comments after the game, the guys are starting to believe they CAN beat anybody.

Rich, I agree with you 100% Let's shoot for 8-8 this year, (that's going 5-3 the rest of the way out) and anything beyond that is gravy.

The Jets game is critical- it's about a must win before we can even start dreaming about the "P" word. OTOH, if you saw some of Cribb's comments after the game, the guys are starting to believe they CAN beat anybody.

IMO... they can beat ANYBODY!!!! As I've stated, the remaining teams on this year's schedule should be very afraid. Playoffs or not, someone in January whether it be Baltimore or Pittsburgh is going to have their playoff hopes spoiled. I would prefer the latter of course. Either way, the Browns are relevant and fun to watch again. I'll take that for now, and hope to see them build on it next year.

No I meant 2001, because they went from 5-27 in the first 2 years to 7-9 with very little talent, and were close to being in the playoff race until near the end of the season where they lost several games. At any rate, the 2001 Browns were better to watch than the 1999-2000 version. That was all I was saying.

I definitely agree, we need to forget the past and start looking toward the future with the team we have now. But again, I thought we turned the corner in 2007 season and look what happened the next year. It's just hard to try to be positive as a Browns fan, but I'm very very excited for the team now.

I definitely agree, we need to forget the past and start looking toward the future with the team we have now. But again, I thought we turned the corner in 2007 season and look what happened the next year. It's just hard to try to be positive as a Browns fan, but I'm very very excited for the team now.

This team is a lot tougher than the 2007 team. May have some missing pieces on offense, but this team is playing more as a team. That is how you win in the NFL. You needn't look any further than the Cowboys to see that. The Cowboys have shit load of talent, and it's all wasted, because of the big egos. And of course Jerry Jones is a complete ass. IMO he screwed up letting his boy Jimmy Johnson walk back in the day. Again, karma's a bitch!

You have 5 losses and 5 games remaining against Baltimore, Jets, Steelers, Bengals, and Dolphins who are all talented teams. Plus the Jags are no pushovers. No chance in hell the Browns finish the season 7-1. And even if they did finish 10-6, that probably misses the playoffs this year. There are 12 AFC teams currently with better records than the Browns. You can't expect to jump 7 of them to make the playoffs. Not happening.

You have 5 losses and 5 games remaining against Baltimore, Jets, Steelers, Bengals, and Dolphins who are all talented teams. Plus the Jags are no pushovers. No chance in hell the Browns finish the season 7-1. And even if they did finish 10-6, that probably misses the playoffs this year. There are 12 AFC teams currently with better records than the Browns. You can't expect to jump 7 of them to make the playoffs. Not happening.

Teams can finish the same way teams like Oakland, KC, Tampa started. I really, in my heart do not feel KC and Tampa are better teams than Cleveland.

Unfortunate it took fluke plays for the Browns to lose to KC, the Bucs, and Atlanta. Agreed that 7-1 is highly unlikely. As most Steeler fans, you flunked remedial math. The Browns would only have to jump six of the twelve teams to make the playoffs. And beating the Dolphins and Jags jumps two of the six right there. Realistically, getting into the top six would require a lot of luck, as most of those teams would really have to tank, losing at least three, if not four out of the last 8.

However, the Jets, Ravens, and Steelers are all in Cleveland. Like I said earlier, I'm not getting my hopes up until after the Jets game. Then we can talk.

Unfortunate it took fluke plays for the Browns to lose to KC, the Bucs, and Atlanta. Agreed that 7-1 is highly unlikely. As most Steeler fans, you flunked remedial math. The Browns would only have to jump six of the twelve teams to make the playoffs. And beating the Dolphins and Jags jumps two of the six right there. Realistically, getting into the top six would require a lot of luck, as most of those teams would really have to tank, losing at least three, if not four out of the last 8.

However, the Jets, Ravens, and Steelers are all in Cleveland. Like I said earlier, I'm not getting my hopes up until after the Jets game. Then we can talk.

Still have to live by ONLY thinking of the game comming up. Not what could be, can be, hope to be. Just play your game in the here and now and everything else will take care of it's self. Got to feel great for the possibilties that this team can do. We still have somethings to take care of to make us more complete (like at WR). It's a great feeling to know we're on our way to something special.

Archived