THE BROWNS BOARD

How the Browns choose its team name ?

Shelia

How the Browns choose its team name ?

There's some myth and mystery surrounding the naming of the Browns. Originally another name was chosen but it turned out to have been the name of a losing team so it was dropped. Paul Brown was the coach so many people assume that the team was named for him but other accounts have the coach stating that naming the team for himself would be "unseemly." I've read that there was a contest and the winning name was "Brown Bombers" after Joe Louis, a popular boxer back in that day. The name was shortened to "Browns," allowing the coach some measure of satisfaction. There has always been debate and disagreement about the truth behind the naming of the Cleveland team. Ultimately it doesn't really matter. For all we know the team could have been named after the color of both the jerseys and brown bomber jackets. Right Stan?

There's some myth and mystery surrounding the naming of the Browns. Originally another name was chosen but it turned out to have been the name of a losing team so it was dropped. Paul Brown was the coach so many people assume that the team was named for him but other accounts have the coach stating that naming the team for himself would be "unseemly." I've read that there was a contest and the winning name was "Brown Bombers" after Joe Louis, a popular boxer back in that day. The name was shortened to "Browns," allowing the coach some measure of satisfaction. There has always been debate and disagreement about the truth behind the naming of the Cleveland team. Ultimately it doesn't really matter. For all we know the team could have been named after the color of both the jerseys and brown bomber jackets. Right Stan?

There was a naming contest and the "Browns" won, named after Paul Brown. He didn't like it, but agreed after the next choice "Panthers" was already taken by another area sports team (per Wikipedia).

This thread should still be deleted to prevent people from following the link to the bogus "nfl" website.

Well, I neatly took care of that with a little edit. :)

There was a naming contest and the "Browns" won, named after Paul Brown. He didn't like it, but agreed after the next choice "Panthers" was already taken by another area sports team (per Wikipedia).

Despite the august position by King Ghoolie and the options presented by Kathy. I got to agree with Roach on this one. The team was named after Paul Brown. I did my doctoral thesis on the the naming of the Cleveland Browns. After forty years of research and 43 years of college. My thesis concludes Roach is correct in toto. Unfortunately, I wasted forty years doing what Roach did in one internet search.

Archived