THE BROWNS BOARD

The Colt, Part 4

Earl34

Last week, I heard that Colt made 11 checks during the Pats game which is an awful lot for a rookie in his third start.

I thought that this week was a much more difficult game for Colt. The Jets bring the heat like no one else. I thought that there were times when he just didn't look as comfortable. For instance, there were two occasions where he wanted to step up into the pocket only to find that he couldn't. I thought he still showed a fair amount of poise for a rookie. I think he did avoid the rush a few times (I loved how he avoided Leonhard and Erik Smith, tossing them aside). He didn't have his most accurate day passing. It seems like he missed a few guys that could have been big plays but that's easy to say from your living room. Objectively though, he completed 58% of his passes against a defense that gives up less than 50% completion rate on the season.

The fourth quarter drive to tie the game was vintage Colt. Some great throws but most of all, tons of body language that was positive and showed me this kid can lead. He told the guys in the huddle "we're gonna get this" at the start of the drive. I love it. "He said, 'Look at me, we're going to win this game','' per Evan Moore.

He was also moving the team before Stuckey's fumble. I thought to myself, "If he drives this team to tie and then to win....the 'legend' will begin in Cleveland!!!". On the last possession, he missed Watson on first down and while the coaches got criticized for the run on second down, I understood that they were trying to give the rookie something a little more manageable than 3rd and 10 from the 2. Third down, he didn't really have a chance as it quickly became Colt trying to get out of the end zone and avoid the safety. It wasn't a bad game for him but he really did leave some throws out there.

I was interested to see what he'd say after the game and I was pretty much expecting and/or hoping to hear what he did say...."I'm the leader. I needed to make more plays.". We all know that it's not Colt's fault that they lost but the accountability and picking up his teammates is a positive sign of a leader.

A fact to chew on that may interest only me: If you go back to 1999, of the QB's that have been the leading passer on the Browns in terms of attempts each year, the top QB rating for a season was 82.5 by Derek Anderson in 2007. If you look at all comers it was Kelly Holcomb who threw 100 some-odd passes early last decade with a rating in the mid 90s. Colt's current rating of 85.2 is better than any of the guys who took the majority of snaps and he hasn't even hit a soft defense yet. That's promising.

The dude has no fear, his pocket presence will develope over time. He is not a big guy, but is a football player with heart and brains. I am just glad he will get a year under his belt and next year the reigns will be taken off. Hills, hardesty pounding the rock, and Colts hitting AJ Green down the sideline for a TD will be fun to watch. Go Browns.

One of Sunday's game analyst (simms?) pointed out that the Jets made an adjustment on defense to prevent his ability to roll out by giving him a bit more pocket spacing. Guess they feared his roll out throws

more that what they perceived he could manufacture from the pocket. As he continues to develop, i feel Colt can fine tune his drop back pocket throws to match the skills he possesss on his roll out tosses.

Colt's potential NFL greatness is one of the most exciting components of this team as they steadily climb back to the top of the heap. Gonna be a hell of a ride.....

The dude has no fear, his pocket presence will develope over time. He is not a big guy, but is a football player with heart and brains. I am just glad he will get a year under his belt and next year the reigns will be taken off. Hills, hardesty pounding the rock, and Colts hitting AJ Green down the sideline for a TD will be fun to watch. Go Browns.

or you know...Hardesty standing on the sideline in warm-ups haha

I like to think about how good our running game would be this year if he were healthy. But who really knows if he'd EVER be healthy.

Might need to draft a RB on the second day of the draft

Nice evaluation earl!

The fact that there is game footage of colt available to study now combined with the fact the browns are proving to be absolutely game threatening tough and competitive against even the elite teams means colt gets no easy surprise ride, i thought both dabs and colt done a great job of re-adjusting once the jets shut colts ability to effectively rollout down...

Colt appears to be able to do it all and can effectively take advantage of whatever weakness the defense is showing and he is only going to get better, this kid is a winner and so are we because holmgren stepped up and grabbed him at a time when both mangini and heckert would have passed on him...

My advise to mangini and heckert...let holmgren pick the QB drafts!

Archived