THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns increasingly sure they've found their star QB in Colt McCoy

Joker Boy

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...creasingly.html

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns aren't about to utter it out loud just yet, but there's a growing sense in the organization that it has the quarterback of the future in rookie Colt McCoy.

It was McCoy's sensational game-tying drive at the end of regulation against the Jets that has some in the organization convinced. The feeling is that he did almost everything he could to pull it out in overtime, and that if not for Chansi Stuckey's fumble at the Jets 32 and a few other missed opportunities, he would've earned his third straight upset over an elite NFL team.

134Share

67 Comments

Instead, the Browns lost, 26-20, but are encouraged that they might be set for the foreseeable future at the most important position on the team.

"That drive Colt put together was another part of him building trust," said coach Eric Mangini. "That's not an easy defense to move the ball on in a two-minute situation and go score a touchdown on. There's poise there, and some outstanding plays from everybody."

McCoy is now 2-2 in his four starts, but has faced teams with a combined record of 26-10, none with fewer than six victories.

"For him to come in as a rookie and play these great teams -- these four great teams in a row -- I mean, you have to give it to him," said Peyton Hillis.

He's faced three of the top 10 defenses in the Steelers (ninth), Saints (third) and Jets (fifth). He's completed 64 of his 99 attempts (64.6 percent) for 734 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions for a 85.2 rating.

"I'm really impressed with Colt, his resilience, and the things that he's done," said Mangini. "He's shown great poise under pressure against a lot of outstanding defensive schemes and a lot of outstanding defensive personnel. For a young guy, he's been really impressive."

McCoy earned the high praise of Jets linebacker Trevor Pryce, who watched the Browns struggle at quarterback during his four seasons with the Ravens. He was also there for the first meeting this year before being released.

"Quote me on this: 'They have a quarterback now,'" the 13-year veteran said. "I'm glad I'm not in the AFC North anymore so I don't have to see him get better. They've had quarterback problems for a long time. They now have a legit quarterback. He plays with a lot of confidence and he plays with a lot of poise."

"Quote me on this: 'They have a quarterback now,'" 13-year veteran Jets linebacker Trevor Pryce said on Sunday. "I'm glad I'm not in the AFC North anymore so I don't have to see him get better."

The plays that have Browns all abuzz are the final three in regulation that forced the overtime: the 17-yarder down the deep right to Ben Watson into double coverage, the 18-yarder to Evan Moore with premier cornerback Darrelle Revis draped all over him and the 3-yard TD to Mohamed Massaquoi that tied it.

McCoy went 5-of-9 for 58 yards on the 10-play drive, and snuck for another yard. He told the team before the drive that they'd sent it into overtime -- and win.

"He did a great job," said Moore, who wedged his body between Revis and the ball to make the catch. "Everything from finding Ben, that was just as much a good play by Ben as it was with Colt. He put that thing on the mark and Ben made a great play. Colt has poise and the ability to take it in stride.

"He was the winningest quarterback in college, so for him to come in put together a drive to win is just him playing football. That's what he does. I'm not surprised."

Mangini declined to say that McCoy can be the team's franchise QB, but can't hide his admiration. The Browns are expected to let him play out the final seven games because of how well he's been playing, but aren't saying so yet.

"After four games, I can say I like a ton of the stuff about him," Mangini said, "but I don't want to put that pressure on him, either. We've got to let him continue to grow and develop. Not that he hasn't been under a lot of pressure, but I'm not going to add to it."

But longtime veterans such as linebacker Eric Barton and cornerback Sheldon Brown, who've been around Brett Favre and Donovan McNabb, are convinced that McCoy can be the guy here.

"I think we've always believed in him," said Barton. "I think every week he goes out there, personally he impresses me more and more. He's just got it. It's one of those things where he's not tall, he can't throw real hard, he can't do this, but he's a winner. You want guys like that. He's a natural leader and it's infectious. I just love watching him, I love being around him, I think he's a great quarterback."

Said Brown: "No. 12 is a special player. The poise is unreal for a rookie, to be able to do that. I've never seen anything like it for a rookie to come in and play the way he plays. The way the offense is playing hard for him, watching him. Watching him every day in practice, he's just continuing to get better. It's amazing to watch."

One of the reasons I've gotten so giddy so fast over McCoy is this: I figure he'll be way better next year on a couple of levels. Physically, his arc has been impressive over the past 12 months and I see more room for improvement. In other words, I expect him to have an even stronger arm next season... about the age Brees started to throw the ball with way more authority.

Mentally, he's coming from the non-pro Texas offense and had very few starter reps in camp. Now he'll get ALL of them this season and all of next season... in an offense even more specifically tailored to his talents.

Watching Colt play, I can't help but see Bernie Kosar and Brian Sipe in his play. Dang impressive. I believe he has inspired the whole team, as well as the fans.

To be a great qb, you have to be "wired" to play the position, not just have the phsical attributes. Colt just automattically gets it.

Bill Parcells' Rules for Drafting a QB

1. He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.

2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.

3. He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.

4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

Half of the Super Bowl winning QBs last decade fulfilled this.

Also of note are Parcells' 11 Commandments for QBs that he once told Tony Romo (also relevant here):

Quarterback commandments:

1. Ignore other opinions – Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on – ignore them on matters of football, they don’t know what’s happening here.

2. Clowns can’t run a huddle – don’t forget to have fun but don’t be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don’t mix. Clowns can’t run a huddle.

3. Fat QBs can’t avoid the rush – A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arm. Squat and run.

4. Know your job cold – this is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.

5. Know your own players – Who’s fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.

6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.

7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.

8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.

9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.

10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.

11. Don’t be a celebrity QB – we don’t need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out, every day, every week and every season and lead their team to win after win after win.

The ultimate exception: Aaron Rodgers. Not many starts or wins, graduated at only 20 and skinny... and is a known flake who recently dressed in Civil War garb for a team flight.

But that dude can just flat out throw and he got a 38 on the Wonderlic. Fastest release in the history of pro football, legit 4.6 wheels.

Great post Earl34. The fact the veterans respect him says a lot. How can you not be impressed by that last post game interview? Is just me or did he mature like 5 years? Remember the "Golly Geewhiz" interviews? I saw a man put squarely on his shoulders, the loss of the game. In his opening statement you could see the disappointment on his face and in his voice. "We play to win". That's the guy I want running our locker room, coach.

Ok, folks, it's question time.

We all know that much ado was made about the size -- particularly the height -- of the quarterbacks in the last draft.

Here's the question: How big is Michael Vick?

Second question: How big is Colt McCoy?

Answers:

Vick is 6'0" 207 pounds (I have to admit, I thought he was much larger than this)

Colt is 6'1" 216 pounds (I can't believe McCoy is actually larger than Vick)

Nobody mentioned Vick when they were looking for quality qb's who were "exceptions to the height rule."

NOTE: I am not comparing quarterbacking styles, abilities, or any other aspects of playing the position of quarterback.

When I think of an NFL model for Colt McCoy, I go back ... way back ... to Bob Griese.

Griese was mobile, accurate, poised, patient and clutch. Didn't have a big arm but knew how to play off the running game, find the open receiver, utilize tight ends, play-action fake etc.

Griese was 6'1, 190 lbs. and resides in the Hall of Fame with his two rings and three SB appearances.

Zombo

When I think of an NFL model for Colt McCoy, I go back ... way back ... to Bob Griese.

Griese was mobile, accurate, poised, patient and clutch. Didn't have a big arm but knew how to play off the running game, find the open receiver, utilize tight ends, play-action fake etc.

Griese was 6'1, 190 lbs. and resides in the Hall of Fame with his two rings and three SB appearances.

Zombo

Let's add a few more to the "shorty" resume....

Joe Montana 6' 2" (and no one ever accused Super Joe of having a rocket launcher arm)

Bret Favre 6' 2"

Like an extra inch in height is going to make that much difference.

Well at least for the season he might be sitting again. I'm not reading to much into this, but the guy who does the AFC North huddle on ESPN is saying it is more likely that Mangini will go with Wallace at QB. Their saying he will go with someone who has experience over the rookie because Mangini is coaching to save his job.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id...fc-north-huddle

I personally think that if Mangini goes this route he will burn what bridges he has built this year with players and fans and his head will be on the chopping block. The only way for him to keep his job is to keep in Colt.

Well at least for the season he might be sitting again. I'm not reading to much into this, but the guy who does the AFC North huddle on ESPN is saying it is more likely that Mangini will go with Wallace at QB. Their saying he will go with someone who has experience over the rookie because Mangini is coaching to save his job.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id...fc-north-huddle

I personally think that if Mangini goes this route he will burn what bridges he has built this year with players and fans and his head will be on the chopping block. The only way for him to keep his job is to keep in Colt.

That would be beyond insane. McCoy's QBR is now over 85, amazing for a rookie who just faced murderer's row and lived to tell. What in Wallace's career as a backup suggests we have a better chance to win with him?

I don't buy it. If it smells fishy, it probably is. I really do think Mangini would be stamping his ticket straight out of town.

I have liked mccoy and expected him to go in the top 10-20 i was elated that holmgren made the no brainer call and yet stunned that mccoy fell to the 3rd rd merely because of height and questionable arm strength..

In my mind Colt "The Cowboy" McCoy is beyond the real deal and likely our franchise QB sometime in the future...

The kid brings it on against the best of the best and i cant wait for sunday!

I have liked mccoy and expected him to go in the top 10-20 i was elated that holmgren made the no brainer call and yet stunned that mccoy fell to the 3rd rd merely because of height and questionable arm strength..

In my mind Colt "The Cowboy" McCoy is beyond the real deal and likely our franchise QB sometime in the future...

The kid brings it on against the best of the best and i cant wait for sunday!

I actually preferred McCoy over ANY of the other QBs in the draft. Too often in college ball the QBs are blessed with WRs so good that they just play "catch" with them. One of my criteria has been a QB who can hit receivers in stride. Colt is just a total package & HANG the height. But NO....WAIT...Height IS important! What would DA do were he just 6'1"???

Obviously the kid is the real deal & the kind of person any young child would do well to emulate.

Mike

Let's add a few more to the "shorty" resume....

Joe Montana 6' 2" (and no one ever accused Super Joe of having a rocket launcher arm)

Bret Favre 6' 2"

Like an extra inch in height is going to make that much difference.

I've stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Brett Favre and he's not 6'2". I'd say 6'1" max.

That would be beyond insane. McCoy's QBR is now over 85, amazing for a rookie who just faced murderer's row and lived to tell. What in Wallace's career as a backup suggests we have a better chance to win with him?

I don't buy it. If it smells fishy, it probably is. I really do think Mangini would be stamping his ticket straight out of town.

Not just rookie Shep- first four games as a rookie. I can honestly say I don't believe what I'm seeing out of Colt so far. Better than Kosar's rookie year? Yup. If Stukey steps out of bounds instead of fumbling- and Dawson kicks the game winner- the kid would already be a legend in C-town after his first four games.

IMHO that's just some ESPN talking head stirring the pot.

You can bet the ranch whatever Mangini does with Colt, he's talked it over with Big Mike, and has his full blessing to proceed. At this point- barring a miraculous running the table, the Browns aren't making the playoffs- so you may as well see what you have in Colt- we already know what we have in Wallace. And unless McCoy AND Wallace are both hurt, that's the last we've seen of Jake.

And some interesting stats about the Jags defense. 27th overall, 27th in points allowed, and 29 in passing yards. NO reason not to play Colt on Sunday.

Archived