THE BROWNS BOARD

Anatomy of A Play

Earl34

This week, I'm reviewing a play that, for me at least, was the offensive play of the game. It wasn't as fancy in the X's and O's aspect of it as it was in how much of a story it told me about the Cleveland Browns' offense.

Situation: McCoy has just coverted 3rd down on a pass to Ben Watson during the two minute drill. Browns are down 20-13.

Time: 4th Qtr; 1:04 left

Down: 1st & 10 on +21

1. Presnap

One.jpg

Browns come out in 12 personnel (1 back, 2 TE) and the TE is flexed to the right. The formation is 2x2 with Watson and Evan Moore to the top. Robiskie is the end to the left and Stuckey is in the slot to the left. McCoy is in the shotgun and the strong side is left as the back is set to his left. The Jets are considerate enough to bring all 11 men into the screen (thanks Rex). They're in dime personnel with 6 DB.

1. Seven men are on the line showing blitz. They outnumber the line and Hillis, so Watson either has to release hot over the middle or stay in to block. The free rusher as they've lined up is Leonhard at the bottom as the other blockers can account for the rest. These guys could be disguising a smaller rush and would drop out at the snap but they're showing seven man rush with Eric Smith covering Watson. If he comes, that makes 8 on 7. They could be bluffing but I doubt it since the Ryan family motto as Jon Gruden kept harping on the first MNF telecast is "bring one more than they can block". Since we all know that Rex Ryan thinks with his johnson, my guess is he's bringing the house.

2. If we need more clues as to the intentions of the defense, notice Cromartie lined up in man-to-man with Robiskie, ready to jam him like he's Jerry Rice.

3. Revis is also lined up in what looks like man-to-man (could still be dropping into zone) but he's giving Evan Moore a huge cushion for some reason. The fact that the DBs are all up reinforces the thought that he's bringing the house.

At this point, McCoy has two things to worry about. #1 is the pass protection. He can reassign the mike (Mack assigned it to David Harris #52), he can slide the protection (but they're spread all across it) or he can throw the hot read which requires a WR to make the same read. My guess is that the pass protection is pre-determined here and they're sticking with it. The second imperative is to figure out where he's going with the ball. If they bring the house and Eric Smith rushes because Watson stays in, then you have 1-on-1 everywhere with Cromartie on Robiskie, Stuckey on Coleman and Moore on Revis. He sees the cushion on Moore. That's key.

2. Snap

Two.jpg

1. Surprise, surprise, Rex is bringing the house at the rookie and the Cleveland offensive line does an OUTSTANDING job forming the pocket along with Hillis picking up the blindside and Watson helping Womack. Mack helps the blindside leaving Shawn Lauvao to take Shaun Ellis and push him left (WOW!) creating a throwing lane. Pork Chop eats David Harris and Watson blocks Calvin Pace. Eric Smith, seeing Watson stay in, decides to rush. Colt's eyes are downfield and two of the three receivers have gotten free releases. Moore had the biggest cushion so #12 is going to challenge an All-Pro CB.

2. Notice that Revis is in a backpedal and Moore is showing him the fade (starts to the outside). Shhhh!!! Revis is being set up! Remember the highlight fade routes that Moore had (Pittsburgh, New England) on the boundary?

3. The Jockstrap on the Turf

Four.jpg

Evan Moore cuts inside of Revis (and at 6'6" he can totally box out Revis) running an "8". For those that have never played football, the routes are numbered 0-9 in a route tree. You can see an example here but basically realize that odd numbers break away from the middle of the field and even numbers break toward the middle. Sometimes the shorter routes vary a little but 8 is almost universally the "post", "7" the corner and "9" is the fly or vertical route. Not only is Revis beat but there's no help in the middle.

Five.jpg

Here we see

1. Colt with great form stepping into a throw

2. Smith and Pace try to knock Colt's throw down but our QB who was too short for the NFL still beats them

3. Brodney Pool gets knocked on his ass by Joe Thomas

six.jpg

This is just a nice shot of a couple of things:

- A throw through the proper passing lane with no real chance of it being batted. Hell, DA would have FOUND a way to get that ball batted.

- The QB squared up because he drove the ball using his lower body

- Moore with great position on Revis to shield him

I don't know if anyone else was as impressed with this play but to me it was simply great. It showed me that my rookie QB was not afraid to trust his protection, step up and deliver a strike to beat an All-Pro defensive back. It showed me that the offensive line (with yet another rookie) did a fantastic job against 8 rushers (I think Mack and Steinbach blocked three guys). It also got me to thinking that I don't care if Evan Moore is listed as a TE. He's better than any WR we have. Call him a WR and let him play over Robiskie who plays the X spot quite poorly. The guy has size and hands like glue. He clearly understands how to use his body like Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez. Perhaps this play wasn't all about fancy strategy as it was simply whipping the ass of the guy in front of you showing who had more heart.

Wow...thanks for the education. I love these threads as I never played organized football and quite frankly got my education playing 2K football and watching it on TV :) It's really nice to see a little deeper in these guys heads to understand how it all works. Keep em going!!!!

Thanks. I'm still trying to learn it myself but sometimes trying to explain it is just as educational.

Glad to see such a post. I had just been thinking that I'd like to learn the mechanics of the modern NFL game, so to better appreciate what IS happening and then later what HAD happened, in replaying the game.

I had also been thinking for a long time now, that the public is exposed to all kinds of X's and O'x talk during the game and afterwards (ESPN), but where does a novice to the game learn the complete vocabulary of the game and a fine understanding of how both sides of the ball are playing -- to a man -- on any given play?

Does a Madden-type game on XBox deliver that level of demonstration, including FB 'speak' and vocabulary?

Without this knowledge, even listening to post-game pressers is--for me--like listening to an explanation of how the experiment went at the Large Hadron Collider.

Glad to see such a post. I had just been thinking that I'd like to learn the mechanics of the modern NFL game, so to better appreciate what IS happening and then later what HAD happened, in replaying the game.

I had also been thinking for a long time now, that the public is exposed to all kinds of X's and O'x talk during the game and afterwards (ESPN), but where does a novice to the game learn the complete vocabulary of the game and a fine understanding of how both sides of the ball are playing -- to a man -- on any given play?

Does a Madden-type game on XBox deliver that level of demonstration, including FB 'speak' and vocabulary?

Without this knowledge, even listening to post-game pressers is--for me--like listening to an explanation of how the experiment went at the Large Hadron Collider.

Thanks everyone. I have been interested in this sort of thing for a while;

I would offer a couple of resources for those interested in learning more:

1) For those of you with Sirius satellite radio, the "Moving The Chains" show from 3-7pm EST with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan really is great. Tim is a former player and Pat is a former coach, scout and GM. The show isn't always about X's and O's but they usually infuse a lot of information into their shows that I can't say you get anywhere else. Not every show on NFL network is THIS informative but I love the show and listen to as much as I can. Since the two of them have covered most of the positions available in a football organization, their insight is really great. They also don't allow some of the bull that goes on other shows from the callers. They keep it pretty high level. This show is the only reason I keep Sirius. It alone is worth it to me.

2) Pat Kirwan (above) has written a book called "Take Your Eye Off The Ball" which is really great. It's a "how to watch football" kind of book for someone who wants a deeper understanding. If you played a ton of football or have a lot of knowledge in the area...it's possibly not detailed enough (another book is apparently on the way) but it's really quite good. It breaks down what everybody does and it also has a great chapter about what a week is like for coaches and players. He also goes through different position groups and describes what they do and how teams look for them. You could probably read the whole thing in a weekend. I am considering giving this away as a Christmas present this year.

3) There is a website that I love (but doesn't get updated too often) called "Smart Football" at http://www.http://smartfootball.com/. Sometimes it's a bit over my head but I have a good time trying to figure it out

While these resources won't necessarily make you an expert, I think they'll get the interested fan a little deeper in knowledge and would be a good start.

1) For those of you with Sirius satellite radio, the "Moving The Chains" show from 3-7pm EST with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan really is great. Tim is a former player and Pat is a former coach, scout and GM. The show isn't always about X's and O's but they usually infuse a lot of information into their shows that I can't say you get anywhere else. Not every show on NFL network is THIS informative but I love the show and listen to as much as I can. Since the two of them have covered most of the positions available in a football organization, their insight is really great. They also don't allow some of the bull that goes on other shows from the callers. They keep it pretty high level. This show is the only reason I keep Sirius. It alone is worth it to me.

2) Pat Kirwan (above) has written a book called "Take Your Eye Off The Ball" which is really great. It's a "how to watch football" kind of book for someone who wants a deeper understanding. If you played a ton of football or have a lot of knowledge in the area...it's possibly not detailed enough (another book is apparently on the way) but it's really quite good. It breaks down what everybody does and it also has a great chapter about what a week is like for coaches and players. He also goes through different position groups and describes what they do and how teams look for them. You could probably read the whole thing in a weekend. I am considering giving this away as a Christmas present this year.

3) There is a website that I love (but doesn't get updated too often) called "Smart Football" at http://www.http://smartfootball.com/. Sometimes it's a bit over my head but I have a good time trying to figure it out

While these resources won't necessarily make you an expert, I think they'll get the interested fan a little deeper in knowledge and would be a good start.

Thanks! If anyone else knows good resources, these pre-holiday days are a great time to offer them so they can be put on our lists for Santa.

Do you know where I might find a source that defines football terms commonly used by commentators (something like a dictionary of football terms)? The descriptions have changed a lot since I played football. My son can help me out if we are watching a game together (less frequent since he is now married with children). This terminology thing is difficult because the commentators seem to assume that all listeners/watchers are fluent in football-speak. That is one of the major reasons I like your analytical posts. You make it understandable.

But ain't it great that our too short qb with a weak arm can complete a pass to our receiver who is covered by one of the top cover players in the NFL?!!!!!! Just think what he could do if he fit the "description of a REAL quarterback." (Right! That's like "Just think what Bill Gates could have done if he had finished college.") It was no accident that McCoy completed that pass. That entire series to tie the game with time running down was an act of a REAL quartergack. I think he is in THE place where he needs to be playing for fans who (I hope) appreciate him.

Do you know where I might find a source that defines football terms commonly used by commentators (something like a dictionary of football terms)? The descriptions have changed a lot since I played football. My son can help me out if we are watching a game together (less frequent since he is now married with children). This terminology thing is difficult because the commentators seem to assume that all listeners/watchers are fluent in football-speak. That is one of the major reasons I like your analytical posts. You make it understandable.

But ain't it great that our too short qb with a weak arm can complete a pass to our receiver who is covered by one of the top cover players in the NFL?!!!!!! Just think what he could do if he fit the "description of a REAL quarterback." (Right! That's like "Just think what Bill Gates could have done if he had finished college.") It was no accident that McCoy completed that pass. That entire series to tie the game with time running down was an act of a REAL quartergack. I think he is in THE place where he needs to be playing for fans who (I hope) appreciate him.

HD, I agree that some football commentators use too much jargon that isn't really in a lot of people's vocabulary. That's why some of the better ones are good. Tim Ryan whom I mentioned above is also an analyst on Fox on Sundays teamed up with Sam Rosen. He usually does west coast games but if you ever listen to him, the style is much like what he does on his radio show. He likes to educate the listener and take you deeper into the game. On the radio, some of the long time listeners really get the jargon down and they're good enough to say things like "Whoa, whoa...let's review for the listeners..."11 personnel", first number is the number of backs, second number is # of TEs in the game."

Do you want a glossary that defines basic things like "fumble" or do you want something that defines more esoteric stuff? Could you give me an example? Perhaps we could set up our own glossary. Between all of the posters on here we possibly could answer each other's questions.

HD, I agree that some football commentators use too much jargon that isn't really in a lot of people's vocabulary. That's why some of the better ones are good. Tim Ryan whom I mentioned above is also an analyst on Fox on Sundays teamed up with Sam Rosen. He usually does west coast games but if you ever listen to him, the style is much like what he does on his radio show. He likes to educate the listener and take you deeper into the game. On the radio, some of the long time listeners really get the jargon down and they're good enough to say things like "Whoa, whoa...let's review for the listeners..."11 personnel", first number is the number of backs, second number is # of TEs in the game."

Do you want a glossary that defines basic things like "fumble" or do you want something that defines more esoteric stuff? Could you give me an example? Perhaps we could set up our own glossary. Between all of the posters on here we possibly could answer each other's questions.

I am really looking for something that describes such things as various defensive line and back activities (various rush strategies and coverages) and descriptions of the "activities" of offensive linemen (blocking strategies), pass routes, etc.

Thanks for help!

Great breakdown. I've been doing some on my own for the past couple games, but I'm too lazy to screencap them and draw what I see on them. Besides, you've got it on lockdown pretty well.

I just wanted to add my two cents just to get some good chalk talk going:

- I don't think the formation was necessarily a two tight as much as it was just Evan Moore playing as a backup receiver since Cribbs was injured. He's done that a couple times this season, coming in as a slot receiver or even playing as the #2 if needed. It doesn't matter either way, though.

-With that said, I think the circumstances played out perfectly for that play. Evan Moore is a physical receiver, and a big guy. Those body isolation routes are his forte, being that he's a TE. The only reason I think Revis bit on the fade like he did was the situation. Two minute drill, rookie QB, driving down the field for the tying score, no big time receivers, inexperienced offensive coordinator... it all adds up to us playing the sideline throws. Granted, I know all that didn't go through Revis's head. But I'm sure he felt there was no way we'd play the inside post in that situation.

-That was a spectacular play by Colt, the timing was perfect and it was spot on perfect. Colt throws that a tad late, or with a little flutter on it (Ring any bells, Brady Quinn?), Revis undercuts the route and it's a big play the other way. But Colt plants his foot and drives the ball home, and that's something we haven't had in a while. And what's amazing is... Colt throws on the run even better.

- I think this shows the need we have for a legitimate #1 receiver. We've got the QB who can deliver the throws, but our backup TE is the most physical receiver on the field. Don't get me wrong, that's awesome. But Evan Moore isn't going to be stretching the field or beating out a DB on those stop fades or jump balls in the endzone. I was completely against getting a receiver in the previous drafts. But I do believe now is the time.

Great breakdown. I've been doing some on my own for the past couple games, but I'm too lazy to screencap them and draw what I see on them. Besides, you've got it on lockdown pretty well.

I just wanted to add my two cents just to get some good chalk talk going:

- I don't think the formation was necessarily a two tight as much as it was just Evan Moore playing as a backup receiver since Cribbs was injured. He's done that a couple times this season, coming in as a slot receiver or even playing as the #2 if needed. It doesn't matter either way, though.

-With that said, I think the circumstances played out perfectly for that play. Evan Moore is a physical receiver, and a big guy. Those body isolation routes are his forte, being that he's a TE. The only reason I think Revis bit on the fade like he did was the situation. Two minute drill, rookie QB, driving down the field for the tying score, no big time receivers, inexperienced offensive coordinator... it all adds up to us playing the sideline throws. Granted, I know all that didn't go through Revis's head. But I'm sure he felt there was no way we'd play the inside post in that situation.

-That was a spectacular play by Colt, the timing was perfect and it was spot on perfect. Colt throws that a tad late, or with a little flutter on it (Ring any bells, Brady Quinn?), Revis undercuts the route and it's a big play the other way. But Colt plants his foot and drives the ball home, and that's something we haven't had in a while. And what's amazing is... Colt throws on the run even better.

- I think this shows the need we have for a legitimate #1 receiver. We've got the QB who can deliver the throws, but our backup TE is the most physical receiver on the field. Don't get me wrong, that's awesome. But Evan Moore isn't going to be stretching the field or beating out a DB on those stop fades or jump balls in the endzone. I was completely against getting a receiver in the previous drafts. But I do believe now is the time.

Tim...just to clarify,...I wasn't implying that this was "2 tight" which would be two TE's lined up on next to the tackles.. When coaches talk about "12" personnel or "10" or whatever,...they're ONLY talking about WHO is on the field. It has nothing to do with where they line up. Per PK, the TE in the backfield still counts as a TE, not a back. This formation was more 2x2 than trips (because Watson isn't on the line). Either way the point is that the matchup is determined by who is on the field and also where they line up. Realize that if a DC sees Reggie Bush run onto the field, he's going to send players into the game based on who he is rather than where he lines up. Matchups! Good points. I agree. Nowhere did you see the loss of Cribbs more of a problem than in this game.

Tim...just to clarify,...I wasn't implying that this was "2 tight" which would be two TE's lined up on next to the tackles.. When coaches talk about "12" personnel or "10" or whatever,...they're ONLY talking about WHO is on the field. It has nothing to do with where they line up. Per PK, the TE in the backfield still counts as a TE, not a back. This formation was more 2x2 than trips (because Watson isn't on the line). Either way the point is that the matchup is determined by who is on the field and also where they line up. Realize that if a DC sees Reggie Bush run onto the field, he's going to send players into the game based on who he is rather than where he lines up. Matchups! Good points. I agree. Nowhere did you see the loss of Cribbs more of a problem than in this game.

I got what you were saying, I was just trying to shore things up for other people on here who might not know too much about the terminology. It can get confusing for people who don't know what the difference is in two tight as opposed to jumbo, or what a "12 on" is in comparison to an "11 off".

I like what we are doing, it's almost similar to what the Pats are running up there in Foxborough with Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez and Alge Crumpler. The TE is the most important position to a QB, and they are severely underrated. A TE is a matchup problem for DC's in the redzone because they can eat up the linebackers in the hook zones, isolate DB's in the flats or on 2's and 4's, or stay in as a blocker to eat the blitz. Our TE's have proven to be amazing not only in the redzone but in the open field too, and that's an amazing asset.

And Evan Moore is providing some DC's with serious matchup problems. The acquisition of Ben Watson has helped Moore out tremendously. It's giving Moore the option of flexing out in the slot or even stepping up to the line. In the Saints game (I think), Moore beat a press so easily he made the corner look like a JV backup. It's good to have that kind of flexibility with your receiving options, especially for a young QB. TE's are a QB's safety valve more often than not, but it could be that Moore is becoming a primary option.

I agree Tim. Can't replace a good TE for a young QB.

Another point in this personnel grouping is that with the game on the line, they went to their best grouping. Sure, we'd love to use 4 speedy WRs but we don't have that many good WRs. They felt best about two WRs and two TEs. I think they're trying to use whatever talent they have most effectively.

Can you imagine our options if Vickers could actually catch?

I agree Tim. Can't replace a good TE for a young QB.

Another point in this personnel grouping is that with the game on the line, they went to their best grouping. Sure, we'd love to use 4 speedy WRs but we don't have that many good WRs. They felt best about two WRs and two TEs. I think they're trying to use whatever talent they have most effectively.

Can you imagine our options if Vickers could actually catch?

I wonder if that's why they brought Hillis in in the first place. Hillis as a receiving fullback, and blocking for Hardesty? That's a pretty impressive backfield. And you can split either one out as a viable WR.

I actually did something similar to that on Madden (yeah, I know it's not realistic). I had Hillis as a deep back and John Kuhn blocking for him. It's no backfield to laugh at for sure.

I just don't want to see Hillis get screwed out of carries next season.

That is some badass work right there, Earl. Very nice. If you've done more of these on this board I would love to see them. Again, outstanding work my man.

Thanks Hoss...If you go to search, you will find the other three that I've done. I only started to do this after the New Orleans game. I wanted to do some offense and some defense but defense is harder because the TV view is pretty poor.

I wonder if that's why they brought Hillis in in the first place. Hillis as a receiving fullback, and blocking for Hardesty? That's a pretty impressive backfield. And you can split either one out as a viable WR.

I actually did something similar to that on Madden (yeah, I know it's not realistic). I had Hillis as a deep back and John Kuhn blocking for him. It's no backfield to laugh at for sure.

I just don't want to see Hillis get screwed out of carries next season.

I wouldn't worry about that. With the way Hillis has played, Hardesty would have to really turn it on to take any significant playing time from him.

Archived