THE BROWNS BOARD

Morning Glory Review

Morning Glory

Paramount

PG 13 103 min

Well I’m pleased when a movie trailer or poster doesn’t give the entire story away.

Heck I won’t read a review until after I see a movie.

One would think, well, guess actually, that MORNING GLORY would be a comedic sparring match between two morning show anchors Mike Pomeroy and Colleen Peck. (Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton).

Actually the main focus of this entertaining little chick flick is Rachel McAdams as Becky Fuller a young ambitious career girl struggling to make it in the highly competitive world of television. As a producer it’s up to her to make the show interesting while keeping the peace among the staff and hosts. Don’t worry, though there’s a romantic angle to deal with and you can rest easy it isn’t with the 68 year old Ford. It’s with a typically bland chick flick hunk.

The second lead is veteran newsman Pomeroy who, nearing the end of an illustrious career as a hard news reporter, fids himself contractually bound to do a pithy morning news show. To add insult to more insult this is the lowest rated show of it’s kind.

To their credit Ford and Keaton don’t play their roles as clowns but as two opposing professionals with just a few comic overtones. Pomeroy really is an embittered dinosaur and takes it out on everyone around but he’s no Ted Baxter.

As the newest producer on this sinking ship Becky has to patch up the differences between the stars, appease a station manager (Jeff Goldblum) who makes Lou Grant seem like a saint all while saving the show and her relationship.

Sure it’s all a bit predictable but thanks to the pro cast and an especially endearing performance by McAdams it all works.

B-

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived