THE BROWNS BOARD

Megamind Review

Megamind

DeeamWorks

PG 96 min

Ahhhh it’s fall.

Yeah winter’s around the corner and daylight savings time sucks but it’s also time for the studios to start releasing the good stuff.

Not only the ones with big ambition but most of the top of the line (and budget) fare compete for the big season bucks.

This one’s from Dreamworks a dark horse contender to the Disney animation throne.

While I doubt they’ll ever seriously challenge for the title they’ve turned out more than a few damn good “cartoons.”

MEGAMIND is one of their best since SHRECK.

I won’t give much of the actual plot away but basically it’s a separated at birth kind of thing. In a scene ripped from DC’s Superman origin two space babies are set adrift in rocket ships and find their way to Earth.

One, Metroman (Brad Pitt) lands in an affluent suburb and one Megamind (Will Ferrell) in the penitentiary.

Metroman is handsome with super powers while Megamind is funny looking though endowed win a huge, er, brain.

As the two rivals grow Metroman becomes the respected super hero while perpetual underdog Megamind chooses to be a super villain.

Also in the mix of this rivalry is the heart of a Lois Lane-esque reporter Roxanne Ritchie (Tina Fey).

The wild card in this love triangle (soon to be a quadrangle) is Roxie’s adoring cameraman (Josh Hill) who is fated to play a big role in the lives of everyone in Metro City.

All the voices fit well, the animation is as good as any, there’s nothing vulgar but mostly it’s charismatic, funny and even a bit exciting.

I don’t know what more you could ask of an animated feature.

Oh and unless you’ve never seen the new technology don’t waste the extra three bucks on the 3D.

A-

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived