- Drafted TJ Ward

- Drafted Colt McCoy

- Drafted Shaun Lauvao

- Traded for Peyton Hillis and acquired a draft pick in the same deal

- Signed Scott Fujita

- Traded for Chris Gocong

- Signed Sheldon Brown

- Signed Ben Watson

The only one that has gone belly up so far has been Hardesty, but he'll be back next year.

2) Eric Mangini has the respect of the entire locker room. EM's new acquisitions now are expected to fit in to the TEAM mentality and the holdovers from last year as well as some of the new locker room guys this year like Fujita, Hillis, and Brown have firmly established that belief.

3) Eric Mangini is a hell of a football coach, but a better human being. This guy walks the walk when it comes to the values he preaches. Trust, hard work, a selfless approach, etc.

4) Brian Robiskie is not in the long-term plans here. As much as it pains me to say this, because this kid works hard and has the right attitude, he won't be with the team next year.

5) Colt McCoy is the quarterback of the future for the Cleveland Browns. I can't believe I just typed that, but damn it felt good.

6) Colt McCoy's accuracy demands that the Cleveland Browns's biggest need heading into 2010 is a bona fide #1 wide receiver who can stretch the field.

7) Mohamed Massaquoi will flourish as a #2 receiver with McCoy under center.

8) Chansi Stuckey will flourish as the slot receiver with McCoy under center.

9) Alex Mack is a Pro Bowler now and into the future.

10) Mike Holmgren will not be the coach of the Cleveland Browns. Ever.

11) Rob Ryan and Brian Daboll are BOTH getting the job done with what they have to work with.

12) The Browns will look for a replacement for Abe Elam, but Elam won't go quietly.

13) Heckert will draft a 3-4 DE with one of the first two picks next season.

14) The Cleveland Browns will contend for a playoff spot and the division championship in 2011.

1) Tom Heckert is off to a fantastic start as GM. Consider these moves:

- Drafted Joe Haden

- Drafted TJ Ward

- Drafted Colt McCoy

- Drafted Shaun Lauvao

- Signed Scott Fujita

- Signed Sheldon Brown

- Signed Ben Watson

The only one that has gone belly up so far has been Hardesty, but he'll be back next year.

2) Eric Mangini has the respect of the entire locker room. EM's new acquisitions now are expected to fit in to the TEAM mentality and the holdovers from last year as well as some of the new locker room guys this year like Fujita, Hillis, and Brown have firmly established that belief.

3) Eric Mangini is a hell of a football coach, but a better human being. This guy walks the walk when it comes to the values he preaches. Trust, hard work, a selfless approach, etc.

4) Brian Robiskie is not in the long-term plans here. As much as it pains me to say this, because this kid works hard and has the right attitude, he won't be with the team next year.

5) Colt McCoy is the quarterback of the future for the Cleveland Browns. I can't believe I just typed that, but damn it felt good.

6) Colt McCoy's accuracy demands that the Cleveland Browns's biggest need heading into 2010 is a bona fide #1 wide receiver who can stretch the field.

11) Rob Ryan and Brian Daboll are BOTH getting the job done with what they have to work with.

12) The Browns will look for a replacement for Abe Elam, but Elam won't go quietly.

14) The Cleveland Browns will contend for a playoff spot and the division championship in 2011.

Nice post. i agree with everything except i'm not sold on Rob Ryan. i think we could do better at DC.

Nice post. i agree with everything except i'm not sold on Rob Ryan. i think we could do better at DC.

Ryan is doing a great job with what he has, wright is a potential burn every time he is sent out to press deep on his own (or everytime he gets on the field for that matter) and he doesnt tackle to well, elam does not belong on the field and our rookies are still learning and making some mistakes adams is only a mediocre sub in at best...

I love aggressive defenses but we are missing some key elements that are preventing us from having consistent success, however laying back in zone coverage every play and waiting to react to the offense is not an option...

This team has came a long way since last year but there is still much to be do and the organization has the right staff to get it done this time...

Heckert and mangini with holmgrens input and guidance will have this team blowing peoples minds by this time next year, regardless of the schedules toughness...

Abe's personal story is amazing and I have been pulling for him ever since hearing it. Go Abe!

That said, what do you think about WVU's Sands? Love his size, speed and ball skills, plus he can hit too.

1) #1 WR

2) Pass rusher/ disruptive DE

3) CB/S

It's amazing that in 1.5 years that these are the "only" areas of true need. If you got a legit WR, pass rusher and improve the starting 4 DBs with one guy...then the rest of your draft is about depth and competition. If the off-season goes well, the roster next year could be serious!

With the average to below average talent we have on defense Rob Ryan along with Mangini have done an amazing job.

It's unbelievable how Mangin has transformed......and in just a few months....from an arrogant, talentless, wannabe head coach, who is clueless....to a damn good head coach. Last season I would bet 80% of the fan base wanted him fired.....maybe more. Thank God Holmgren isn't easily influenced.

I expect a few new faces on each side of the ball, but that's not all that hard. Just think of what we've done each of the past several offseasons.

I expect Shaun Rogers to stay here because he has very little value and we won't give him away, given the bonus we've paid him. I also expect Robaire to return and Rubin to blossom into a star. I'm not convinced we don't have exactly the kind of line we want for this defense... and Schaefering's playing well, too.

I think we could get faster and younger at linebacker. I'd love to see D'Qwell back, and I think he can be restricted again next year, right? The star spots in a 3-4 are at linebacker and we lack anybody scary, kind of like at WR. Love to see us find an athlete in the 2nd round.

1) Tom Heckert is off to a fantastic start as GM. Consider these moves:

- Drafted Joe Haden

- Drafted TJ Ward

- Drafted Colt McCoy

- Drafted Shaun Lauvao

- Signed Scott Fujita

- Signed Sheldon Brown

- Signed Ben Watson

I agree with your #7 and #8 but Cribbs has to fit in there somewhere.. The difference between this year and last year is that we can win games without depending solely on Cribbs. That being said, Cribbs is still a huge x factor and could be the difference maker in whether or not we contend for a playoff spot next year.. (and hopefully he heals that foot up quickly!).

It's unbelievable how Mangin has transformed......and in just a few months....from an arrogant, talentless, wannabe head coach, who is clueless....to a damn good head coach. Last season I would bet 80% of the fan base wanted him fired.....maybe more. Thank God Holmgren isn't easily influenced.

I don't agree with any of the labels he had last year which were all media driven. What I saw last year was a coach with nothing to work with and a fan base that hadnt even given him a chance, its like we as a collective forgot what football looked like from the years of crap we had.

I don't agree with any of the labels he had last year which were all media driven. What I saw last year was a coach with nothing to work with and a fan base that hadnt even given him a chance, its like we as a collective forgot what football looked like from the years of crap we had.

I could not agree more. People don't usually change their personality so what you see now is likely real. Remember that the "Belichick style" didn't endear him to the NY media who are the loudest in the nation. A lot of unfair criticism that doesn't get heaped on other coaches who do the same things. Tom Cable isn't committing to a starting QB for the rest of the season. We don't hear about him getting raked over the coals, do we?

Is this a joke? It is not funny. :blink:

Not a joke, but i do get cranky after a piss poor performance. No punts in the first half. A 10 minute drive to open the 2nd half. Giving up 450 yards- most in regulation. Putrid game. For entertainment value Coach Ryan gets an A. For defensive coaching his performance is unacceptable. i do like the guy because he is entertaining. i just wish we could get him off our sidelines. If you want to impress me, get him to coach up Eric Wright.

Not a joke, but i do get cranky after a piss poor performance. No punts in the first half. A 10 minute drive to open the 2nd half. Giving up 450 yards- most in regulation. Putrid game. For entertainment value Coach Ryan gets an A. For defensive coaching his performance is unacceptable. i do like the guy because he is entertaining. i just wish we could get him off our sidelines. If you want to impress me, get him to coach up Eric Wright.

It honestly sounds like your laying the whole blame on Ryan. For one he lost his two defensive leaders in Fujita and Brown which would be hard for any team to get over. I also didn't like how he started out the game with his standard 3-4, which Rex knows like the back of his hand, but then started throwing in some of the "what the hell" that he used against the saints and patriots which is really all he could do. After that it is just the players having to get the job done and they couldn't do it. If the defence wasn't set up right though the jets would have just marched down the field, but they had to creep alone at a slow pace.

Plus Eric Wright is the DB coaches problem, not Ryan's.

1) #1 WR

2) Pass rusher/ disruptive DE

3) CB/S

It's amazing that in 1.5 years that these are the "only" areas of true need. If you got a legit WR, pass rusher and improve the starting 4 DBs with one guy...then the rest of your draft is about depth and competition. If the off-season goes well, the roster next year could be serious!

The Browns also need to get younger at LB.

As far as the Coach, Mangini IS the same guy. When he first got here, he inherited a totally undisciplined team with little talent. In addition, MOST of the better physical talent he had were "team cancers"....After building Team character (in part by getting rid of the cancers), adding high character talent, & concentrating solely on COACHING, Mangini is showing why he is a fine young Head Coach. We don't hear players grumbling this year, do we?

Mike

ps: Ryan is fine, but his D needs a couple key pieces. However, I DO believe he will be a Head Coach somewhere next year.

I'd love to see D'Qwell back, and I think he can be restricted again next year, right? The star spots in a 3-4 are at linebacker and we lack anybody scary, kind of like at WR. Love to see us find an athlete in the 2nd round.

I don't think we can restrict him in any way, and honestly don't think we are interested.

It is evident to me both Mangini and Heck favor big backers.

You are seeing the mold taking shape now. Get big and physical along the front 7 and have solid cover guys who can man up outside.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us select another corner with our 2nd pick. I am assuming we look at receiver with the first....assuming we don't have to reach to far to get one.

I am not big on drafting for need if you have to select a guy more than maybe 2-3- 4....4 is pushing it.. slots before his consensus ranking.

But...corner is a stretch I agree.....I really think we will go RT and receiver with our first 2 picks...the order will depend on who is there with the first pick and who is projected to be there with the 2nd pick.

I don't think we can restrict him in any way, and honestly don't think we are interested.

It is evident to me both Mangini and Heck favor big backers.

You are seeing the mold taking shape now. Get big and physical along the front 7 and have solid cover guys who can man up outside.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us select another corner with our 2nd pick. I am assuming we look at receiver with the first....assuming we don't have to reach to far to get one.

I am not big on drafting for need if you have to select a guy more than maybe 2-3- 4....4 is pushing it.. slots before his consensus ranking.

But...corner is a stretch I agree.....I really think we will go RT and receiver with our first 2 picks...the order will depend on who is there with the first pick and who is projected to be there with the 2nd pick.

I don't think we will turn to O-Line until mid to late picks. Our most obvoius needs are at WR, OLB/DE, DB. Our o line is solid right now and our back ups are good so I see us picking for those three area's and then making some back up picks in the area's in the late rounds.

I don't think we will turn to O-Line until mid to late picks. Our most obvoius needs are at WR, OLB/DE, DB. Our o line is solid right now and our back ups are good so I see us picking for those three area's and then making some back up picks in the area's in the late rounds.

As to o-line being solid, not really- Pork Chop and Steiny are both over 30- StClair needs to get replaced soon. I agree with your ratings though.

Maybe not. Only time will tell.

Bottom line for me is it is hard to do anything other than look at needs, but needs isn't how the team drafts.

Bottom line is when it is our turn to draft, we will take the player who has the highest rating. Needs will factor in if that player is at a position we don't really need much help or there are 3-4 players rated about the same, in which case we will will look at the needs list.

Unless you are a really good, contending team, drafting for needs is a recipe for failure.

Bottom line for me is it is hard to do anything other than look at needs, but needs isn't how the team drafts.

Bottom line is when it is our turn to draft, we will take the player who has the highest rating. Needs will factor in if that player is at a position we don't really need much help or there are 3-4 players rated about the same, in which case we will will look at the needs list.

Unless you are a really good, contending team, drafting for needs is a recipe for failure.

Yes, peen, but I think that this team is in a far better personnel position than it was two years ago and, as such, the deficiencies seem like something that can be solved. The depth is good, but we need some top end guys now.

This is the way that Parcells and Belichick did things. They would turn over the roster and free it of malcontents. Then they would work on guys 23-45 on the roster. They CONSTANTLY turn over guys 46-53. By working at the bottom first, you ensure:

1. good special teams play since this is where they come from
  2. solid backups for that long season where guys go down. It served us well even last year when guys were hurt late in the year.

Once this foundation is in place, you can then add the cream of the crop. The top talent needs the supporting cast. I know it's a bit different than say, a place like Carolina....but it speaks to the idea that drafting a franchise superstar with nothing else around them will be a waste. This is why I am glad they passed on Mark Sanchez last year. There were several reasons for that but we didn't have the supporting cast for a Sanchez to be successful last year to the degree that he was in NY.

There is a question in my mind as to whether the Browns will search to fill any of these holes in free agency. If there's a threat of a lock out, I think that most teams would shy away from free agent dollars being spent. If it is through the draft, I would expect the first two picks to be an "X receiver" (big, fast, able to pull a double team) and a guy for the defensive front seven. It could be an ILB with rush ability or it could be a disruptive DE. I think we could live with a DB backfield of Ward, Elam, Haden and Brown if our pass rush was more effective.

Just my .02

Agreed, but more than likely you will see us drafting for what positions we need. Hopefully we can pick up one or two of these late round WR's that are tearing up the NFL right now.

Archived