Earl34

Handling the Colt  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Publicly and football-wise, the coaches deserve a grade of:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • F

I've been browsing on the web today and have found my usual share of Browns' news. On the other hand, I am starting to notice a small but vocal minority of bloggers and random commenters on articles that are painting a very negative picture of the handling of the Colt Situation by Eric Mangini and his staff. I also found one moron who wrote a blog article about how Colt's success will ultimately lead to Mangini's ouster since Mangini hasn't "treated Colt well" and that Holmgren isn't going to let Mangini train his pet project.

Is there any evidence that Colt McCoy and Eric Mangini do not get along? I've looked long and hard and while Mangini is reserved in his praise for Colt, I think he's said nice things. I think that he's admitted that he's trying to keep the pressure off of the kid. There was one guy who insists that Mangini embarassed Colt with a phony play in training camp practice and then quizzing him on the play and putting him down. I can't find a report of that anywhere. That could, if true also be taken out of context. I mean, if you have a rookie QB, wouldn't the coaching staff want to see what he does under pressure (like with an unsolvable problem...Kobayashi Maru?!)??

As positive as Browns fans should feel right now it seems like there's a never-ending undertow of negative muckrakers. Thoughts?

I haven't noticed anything negative in his tone about Colt at all. To me, he seems proud of him and his progress. From Colt's side, he is very sincere in his praise of the coaching staff. I tried to find out something myself Earl, but to no avail. Mangini might have a FO bug in his ear. I think by now they know Colt can handle the pressure. B) The teams on the rest of the schedule know he's the starter, even if the FO says it's a day to day decision.

"A" all the way.

We went in with the intent to not play him....and we did. Circumstance dictated otherwise, so now the staff has downplayed the fact, trying to cushion any bad play....and they still are....which is good.

I agree with how it has been done and is being done.....you still protect the rook and not come right out and name him the starter.

This way, if and when he hits a bad patch, you pull him, which isn't the same as benching him, slap him on the helmet and can tell him he did a great job filling in.....and he can rest on that.

I'd give them higher than an A if possible.

These people get so worked up over Mangini's week to week nonsense, when there's no reason to. He's not trying to veil his intentions. He's providing a safety screen for a young QB. He's taking the bullet for Colt, and taking stress off him each week. The moment Mangini completely endorses Colt as the future of the Browns, there will be a ridiculous amount of pressure heaped on Colt's shoulders. Colt's had it hard enough as it is. By doing things on a week by week basis, Mangini is letting Colt grow.

I think it's brilliant. It's going to do wonders for the guy's confidence.

i said B because they would only get an A if they went out and said Colt starts the rest of the season. They are still doing that week-to-week bullshit.

yeah but you gotta understand that he learned that from belichek. don't provide any info unless you have to. nothing wrong with that. keep the others guessing.

I kind of got the impression that Mangini is a bit reserved in heaping too much praise on him because he doesn't want too much unnecessary pressure on the kid. I'd prefer that he focuses on the next opponent and improving his game rather than worry about trying to be the next Kosar.

I give him a B simply because mangini wont publicly name colt the starter, However the fact is rather mangini names colt or not all the fans and all the browns players along with all the upcoming opponents and the rest of the NFL nation know barring injury or unforeseen circumstances Colt will be starting...

Who is the one making himself look obscure, uncertain and even indecisive about what everyone else sees and knows?

While colt is selliing tickets and getting browns fans and even our opponents fans and a nation excited, mangini is doing the exact reverse and putting a downturn on a good thing and in the process creating doubt about his own abilities to make no brainer decisions that are good for this franchise...

I give him a B simply because mangini wont publicly name colt the starter, However the fact is rather mangini names colt or not all the fans and all the browns players along with all the upcoming opponents and the rest of the NFL nation know barring injury or unforeseen circumstances Colt will be starting...

Who is the one making himself look obscure, uncertain and even indecisive about what everyone else sees and knows?

While colt is selliing tickets and getting browns fans and even our opponents fans and a nation excited, mangini is doing the exact reverse and putting a downturn on a good thing and in the process creating doubt about his own abilities to make no brainer decisions that are good for this franchise...

You really think Mangini is THAT stupid and indecisive? Please!

I'd give them higher than an A if possible.

These people get so worked up over Mangini's week to week nonsense, when there's no reason to. He's not trying to veil his intentions. He's providing a safety screen for a young QB. He's taking the bullet for Colt, and taking stress off him each week. The moment Mangini completely endorses Colt as the future of the Browns, there will be a ridiculous amount of pressure heaped on Colt's shoulders. Colt's had it hard enough as it is. By doing things on a week by week basis, Mangini is letting Colt grow.

I think it's brilliant. It's going to do wonders for the guy's confidence.

I think you and 'Peen are right on. Everybody and their Uncle KNOWS Colt's the starter- unless he really screws up- no need for extra pressure on the kid.

One thing about Mangini- he learns from his mistakes. And he learned a lot from the Quinn DA debacle last year. I see there's still a few Quinn-bots here. 20\20 hindsight says Quinn was destined to be a never was regardless of how he was handled- not accurate enough. It will be interesting to see if the guy he's behind on the Bronco's depth chart (Tebow) will be a bigger bust than Brady.

PS- I'll give Mangini only a "B" because he should have put McCoy in against Atlanta, instead of a crippled Delhomme.

Archived