THE BROWNS BOARD

Tom Heckert > Phil Savage

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...m_hecker_4.html

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Browns have done a 180-degree turn in the way their top football authority scouts the college football season.

Phil Savage used to beat the bushes every week this time of year as Browns general manager. He'd spend more time scouting college players than in the office.

That was a big bone of contention with former Browns President John Collins. In fact, Collins used Savage's skimpy office hours as a major point in his argument to fire Savage after the 2005 season. He considered Savage a glorified scout, not a general manager. But Collins lost that power play and left to the NHL.

As a result, Savage felt empowered to keep doing it his way. He had a passion for scouting and felt he could manage his office via cell phone and email. Ultimately, Savage was fired by owner Randy Lerner the day before the 2008 season finale in a phone call.

The new regime uses the more conventional approach to college scouting. New Browns General Manager Tom Heckert seldom goes on the road.

"I don't go out very much at all," Heckert said. "I go to the bowl games. I went to a few area schools. I've done it both ways [as Eagles general manager previously].

"I just think I can get more done in the office. I have my scouts, my college director [John Spytek], my director of player personnel [Jon Sandusky] go out. That's why I'm paying those guys."

That doesn't mean Heckert doesn't know the college landscape. He spends much of his work week this time of year watching video of potential picks.

"Instead of going to one school and watching maybe two top guys and three college free agents, I can sit here and watch 10 top guys [on video]," Heckert said. "We have almost every game that's been played [on video]. I kind of divide my week up on guys that could be potential [NFL] free agents and college guys."

Most NFL GMs do it Heckert's way. Some travel a little more, but none hits the road like Savage did.

Gene Smith, Heckert's counterpart with the Jacksonville Jaguars, worked 15 years since the inception of the franchise as a scout, college scouting director and VP of player personnel. When he was promoted to Jaguars general manager in 2009, Smith had to adjust to strict office hours.

"What I have learned -- I tried to evaluate it my first year -- is you can't be out and about scouting," Smith said. "Without question, you have to know your team first. There's just too many things day to day you need to be a part of. And to be in the know with your own roster. At some point, you've got to trust the people that you work with. Certainly they narrow down who I need to do my film work on."

When he was GM of the Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers in the 1980s-90s, Bobby Beathard was known for his college sweatshirt collection, accumulated during his constant scouting trips. There's nobody like that in the NFL nowadays.

"There's just too much day to day you need to stay on top of," Smith said. "You need to be a support system to your coaching staff in season. There are roster moves to be made. The coach has to have access to you, the players have to have access to you, and the owner has to have access to you."

While Heckert and Smith believe a lot of scouting comes off film study, they both agree that certain positions need to be scouted live. Quarterback and cornerback are two.

Smith said that watching quarterbacks between plays can tell a lot about them.

"How do they deal with adversity? How do they deal with their teammates? How do they deal with their coaches on the sidelines? It's amazing what you can pick up between plays," Smith said.

Watching quarterbacks live is one reason the Browns had two prominent scouts attend the Stanford vs. Washington game on Oct. 30. That was the showdown between potential first-round QBs Andrew Luck and Jake Locker.

NOTES:

Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is getting some national pub as a head coach candidate. He could receive some interviews after the season, pending the Browns’ final record.

With seven weeks to go, it looks like there could be at least nine vacancies with NFL teams. And there’s always a surprise change, or two.

Depending on final records, the following teams could ponder coaching changes: Carolina, Cincinnati, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Oakland, San Diego and San Francisco.

Ryan thought he should have gotten the Raiders job after Al Davis fired Lane Kiffin in 2008. Davis turned to Tom Cable instead, and Cable has the Raiders in playoff contention at 5-4 this year.

Some people believe Ryan’s future as a head coach is tied to the success of his brother, Rex, coach of the Jets. Others I’ve talked to say that while they are twin brothers, Rob and Rex are held in different regard in NFL circles.

We’ll see how it shakes out. Rob needs seven strong games out of the Browns’ defense to have a chance.

North nuggets: Even with safety Ed Reed back in the lineup, the Ravens have given up an average of 297 passing yards the last three games against quarterbacks Matt Ryan of Atlanta, Chad Henne of Miami and Ryan Fitzpatrick of Buffalo. ... The Ravens might use Donte Stallworth as a punt returner. His career average in that role is 5.7 yards. The Ravens are averaging just 6.0 yards on punt returns this year. ... Only three receivers 36 years or older have produced 1,000-yard seasons: Jerry Rice (three times), Jimmy Smith and Joey Galloway. Bengals receiver Terrell Owens is on pace for 1,482, which would beat them all. ... A local TV blackout for Sunday’s Bengals-Bills game ended a franchise-high sellout streak of 57 games in Paul Brown Stadium. ... The Steelers dumped weird kicker Jeff Reed and replaced him with Shaun Suisham, who was awful at Browns minicamp in May. Reed reportedly declined offers from two teams after he cleared waivers. Word is he wanted to hold the Steelers to the $1.1 million still owed on his contract, and he’ll get it until he joins another team.

Key stat: Since the current playoff format was instituted in 1990, three teams with 3-6 records through nine games have advanced to the playoffs — New England in 1994, Detroit in ’95 and Jacksonville in ’96.

Key stat: Since the current playoff format was instituted in 1990, three teams with 3-6 records through nine games have advanced to the playoffs — New England in 1994, Detroit in ’95 and Jacksonville in ’96.

1994 New England won their last six games under Parcells before losing 10-7 to the Browns in Wildcard matchup.

1996 Jacksonville won their last 5 regular season games enroute to the Conference Championship Game losing to the Pats

2010 After starting 3-6, Browns?????

When Collins was dumped, I was on his side. The GM of the team can't spend endless hours away from the team, and that is what Phil couldn't figure out.

The GM is the General manager....meaning he has to be a part of everything. The single largest may be in addressing the playing talent on the team, but there is a whole lot more talent that doesn't play that has to have some direction if you want a team that performs.

Key stat: Since the current playoff format was instituted in 1990, three teams with 3-6 records through nine games have advanced to the playoffs — New England in 1994, Detroit in '95 and Jacksonville in '96.

1994 New England won their last six games under Parcells before losing 10-7 to the Browns in Wildcard matchup.

1996 Jacksonville won their last 5 regular season games enroute to the Conference Championship Game losing to the Pats

2010 After starting 3-6, Browns?????

in order for the Browns to have a similar chance, they would either need to play in a weak division or have their divisional opponents blow some winnable games. if they had won vs the Jets and Jags, which they definitely could have, they may have had a chance. i just don't see them finishing anywhere near the Rats or Piss to have any type of chance now.

they could, however, play spoiler. :) they are good enough on the field for that, just not good enough on paper this year.

so far so good on Heckert.

Anybody else find it odd that for the first few weeks at ClevelandBrowns.Com they always posted the weekly friday press conference of Mangini, Ryan and Daboll. Now the past few weeks its only been Mangini and Ryan. What do you think the reasons are that Daboll is no longer giving a presser?
do we know for sure Daboll hasn't given a presser? imo someone's playin games and pulling strings. Rob's conference has been choppy and glitchy numerous times, and almost every player interview gets cut before it's done. they are editing the shit out of what they allow us to see, that's for certain.

the audio is often screwed up and i think the site staff sucks too. at least you can make the player "full screen" this year tho, that was abysmal.

Archived