THE BROWNS BOARD

nfl lock out question?

WRREBEL

The ownners negotiated a huge guarantee in the 2011 TV contracts even if zero games are broadcast. Thye would have to play it later but it was done for the express situation if there is a lockout. All signs still point to a lockout. I don't believe anyone is thinking of using replacement players. That was a pretty big and costly failure the last time.

I think this is all a bunch of BS.

Billionaire owners vs millionaire players in contract negotiations. Both sides have to realize the economy & average joe aren't prospering. This is all about posturing right now, for both sides.

I seriously doubt there will be a lockout.

The ownners negotiated a huge guarantee in the 2011 TV contracts even if zero games are broadcast. Thye would have to play it later but it was done for the express situation if there is a lockout. All signs still point to a lockout. I don't believe anyone is thinking of using replacement players. That was a pretty big and costly failure the last time.

But think of all the awesome shenanigans the replacement players can get in!

I think this is all a bunch of BS.

Billionaire owners vs millionaire players in contract negotiations. Both sides have to realize the economy & average joe aren't prospering. This is all about posturing right now, for both sides.

I seriously doubt there will be a lockout.

I hope you're right, but 2011 is different. Here's an excerpt from my previous post on a lockout.

In 2008, NFL owners voted that at the end of the 2010 season they would no longer accept the present collective bargaining agreement. This pretty much forces a move.

I believe the chances are good that there will be a lockout orchestrated by the NFL owners in 2011. A lot of media attention has been directed at the two extra games the owners want, but the largest issue, by far, is the $1 billion the owners are wanting back from the players to cover declining profits of many teams due to the poor economy. The players have asked the owners to open their books, but the owners have refused. I believe it will be hard for either side to back down on that point.

The Green Bay Packers are the only publicly held franchise and their books show a definite downward trend in revenue. Their net profit has declined from approximately $34 million four years ago to under $10 million last year. That $10 million in profit dropped FIFTY PERCENT from the previous year.

The U.S. economic front in 2011 may be more severe than this year so, without changes, the plunge in revenue is likely to continue.

I predict the players will have to give some of the approximate 60% off the top they currently receive from NFL revenue and the owners may prevail.

The NFL hired Bob Batterman, the lawyer who was instrumental in the NHL lockout. The NFL appears to be following his gameplan for renegotiating the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement. Just like the NHL, the NFL has created a website to track this owner/labor mess (do an internet search for NFL Labor) if you want to see that site.

Also I read that the most recent negotiations between the NFL owners and the TV networks included provisions that guaranteed $4 billion in revenue to the NFL in 2011 even if no games are played. This money would have to be paid back when games resume, but it gives the owners a serious chunk of change to help wait out the players who may not save their money for hard times as they should.

The NFL players' union has a meager $200 million saved to assist players should a lockout occur.

If there is a lock out it would be the dumbest thing both sides could do...

It would just be our luck, lock out in 2011 and rumor has it end of days 2012..

Too funny!

According to those pesky Mayans we would have till 12/21/2012 so we'd get to see a lot of games before be turn to space debris.

The NFL players' union has a meager $200 million saved to assist players should a lockout occur.

With 1696 rostered players in the NFL, that works out to almost 118,000 per player.

I doubt the players will have to survive on beans and fatback.

Just a update:

NFL players union asks government to help avert lockout

By Kevin Goheen • Enquirer contributor • November 28, 2010

CINCINNATI -- The NFL Players Association sent letters to Ohio Governor Ted Strickland, Governor-elect John Kasich and Cincinnati mayor Mark Mallory this week seeking help from the politicians in its efforts to avert a lockout by NFL management next March.

It was a move the NFLPA repeated for all 32 teams.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA is set to run out on March 4. If a new CBA is not reached by that time the owners could lock out the players and put in jeopardy the 2011 season.

Owners voted in 2008 to opt out of the current CBA when it expired and work towards a new agreement that would be more favorable to them. The NFLPA wants to continue working with the current deal’s framework and have the owners open up their financial books to prove assertions that the current deal needs to be reworked.

The NFLPA claims that the Cincinnati market could see as much as $160 million in lost jobs and revenue if a work stoppage were to occur.

“During one of the worst economies since the Great Depression, NFL owners are preparing to cancel the 2011 season and, in the process, devastate Cincinnati businesses and stadium workers who count on football Sundays to make ends meet,” NFLPA president Kevin Mawae stated in the letter. “It is our hope that the owners will shelve this plan and negotiate in good faith to ensure that we are playing for the fans in 2011.”

Bengals management declined to comment on the NFLPA’s letters, instead deferring to the league office to handle any reply.

The NFL’s response to the union’s letter-writing campaign was a terse rebuke; the NFL has no desire to have government intervention in their negotiating process.

“Now that the union leaders have concluded their decertification ‘going-out-of-business sale,’ arranged for form letters to be sent to NFL owners by other unions, and issued press releases about their letter-writing campaign to mayors and governors, we are hopeful that they might find more time to talk to us,” read the NFL’s response.

“The union’s request for state and local political leaders to intercede in the negotiations ignores and denigrates the serious and far more substantial problems that those leaders, and that state and local workers across the country face. We can resolve our own issues as we have done many times in the past but the NFLPA has to want to participate in resolving them.”

There have been some signs though that both sides are getting more serious about reaching a deal. The two sides met last Monday and there are indications that there might be further meetings next month.

It’s also possible that the NFLPA might use decertification of the union as a way to prevent a lockout if no progress toward a deal is made. The Bengals players voted unanimously to decertify if the union leadership deemed it necessary.

If the NFLPA were to decertify and cease to be a union, since it would not have the authority to collectively bargain for its members, it would operate more or less as a trade organization and could sue the league under antitrust laws.

“We all need to take the time to get together as much as possible and get this thing done,” said left tackle Andrew Whitworth, the Bengals’ player representative. “I think that’s why people want there to be pressure to negotiate because when assumptions are made in negotiations that things are going to be a way that’s when things get delayed. We want to get to the table and let’s get it all out there and let’s get something done.”

BACK TO WORK: After having a weekend off, the Bengals return to Paul Brown Stadium today to prepare for the Saints game Sunday.

IN THE COMMUNITY: Leon Hall, Cedric Benson, Morgan Trent and Brandon Ghee will host a shopping spree for children from the Children’s Home of Northern Kentucky tonight as part of the Toys for Tots program.

The Bengals’ collection for Toys for Tots will be before the Saints game.

Joe Reedy contributed.

web page

Archived