THE BROWNS BOARD

Things That Won't Be Talked About

Earl34

I don't care about style points. No one felt sorry for us when we lost in this fashion so don't apologize for winning that way.

There are some things that WON'T be discussed this week about the players on the field.

1. Eric Steinbach. The performance here is UNACCEPTABLE for the last two weeks. He's consistently being dominated unless he's pulling on power runs (and sometimes ineffective even then). On 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter he got destroyed. He got destroyed on the audible where Delhomme got sacked right on the snap. The proof is in the video. He's just not cutting it. With the right side being so suspect, you can't have Eric Steinbach stink.

2. Brian Schaefering is not Robaire Smith. He's not able to hold his position very well in the run game and it shows.

3. We miss Scott Fujita in a BIG way. He not only provides talent and leadership but he sets the edge on the run plays that no one else seems to be willing to do in his stead.

4. No one is going to talk much about the contributions of Abe Elam but he's made some key plays the last two weeks and I have a new appreciation for his contributions after I heard on NFL Playbook about how hard it is to play safety opposite a rookie. Between he and Kenyon Coleman, I don't want to hear about how we "gave away" Mark Sanchez.

5. Speaking of the secondary, can any of them not named Haden just tackle when needed?

yeah, exactly. I would rather win and look like sloppy douche bags than lose and look sexy as hell.

This is good in the sense that when you win ugly, it feels like a loss and it serves two useful purposes for the coaches:

1) It allows them to emphasize the mistakes

2) It allows them to instill confidence that they can pull out close games in the fourth quarter. If you lose too many of these, you run the risk of negative thinking.

Granted the Panthers lost it more than the Browns won it but the Panthers didn't deserve to win this game based on how they played as a team. We almost lost mostly based on one guy (Delhomme). That's just one way to look at it.

This is good in the sense that when you win ugly, it feels like a loss and it serves two useful purposes for the coaches:

1) It allows them to emphasize the mistakes

2) It allows them to instill confidence that they can pull out close games in the fourth quarter. If you lose too many of these, you run the risk of negative thinking.

Granted the Panthers lost it more than the Browns won it but the Panthers didn't deserve to win this game based on how they played as a team. We almost lost mostly based on one guy (Delhomme). That's just one way to look at it.

also, winning by 1 definitely gives u more motivation to work hard than winning by 40.

also, winning by 1 definitely gives u more motivation to work hard than winning by 40.

True, but I'd like to win big over a cupcake just once to let the blood pressure settle out....

If Goodson doesn't make that big gain and we close them out on four downs....the story line is much different. It's about how we played tough, overcame mistakes and sealed a win. I don't know why the defense cannot tackle under two minutes.

I don't care about style points. No one felt sorry for us when we lost in this fashion so don't apologize for winning that way.

There are some things that WON'T be discussed this week about the players on the field.

1. Eric Steinbach. The performance here is UNACCEPTABLE for the last two weeks. He's consistently being dominated unless he's pulling on power runs (and sometimes ineffective even then). On 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter he got destroyed. He got destroyed on the audible where Delhomme got sacked right on the snap. The proof is in the video. He's just not cutting it. With the right side being so suspect, you can't have Eric Steinbach stink.

2. Brian Schaefering is not Robaire Smith. He's not able to hold his position very well in the run game and it shows.

3. We miss Scott Fujita in a BIG way. He not only provides talent and leadership but he sets the edge on the run plays that no one else seems to be willing to do in his stead.

4. No one is going to talk much about the contributions of Abe Elam but he's made some key plays the last two weeks and I have a new appreciation for his contributions after I heard on NFL Playbook about how hard it is to play safety opposite a rookie. Between he and Kenyon Coleman, I don't want to hear about how we "gave away" Mark Sanchez.

5. Speaking of the secondary, can any of them not named Haden just tackle when needed?

A note about 'giving away' Sanchez. Sanchez will either be Elite or not. The bottom line is that this organization hasn't invested that kind of energy or commitment (nor could it) into that position. They got serviceable players and coached them up. In the meantime, while no one was looking, they went and got themselves a qb. RE secondary... wow. just wow. They need to do better.

I was very disappointed in the play of Jake Delhomme today, probably because he looked so good early.

He was verrry slow getting back from center in the second half.

He audibled into two disastrous plays in two tries.

His decision to try to get a quick snap and get the first down on 3rd and 1 before the Dawson winning field goal was stupid on two levels. First, give the GD ball to Hillis, Jake, like we were going to. Second, it's not real smart when you consider that we were easily in field goal range and one more first down there would have moved the clock to the two minute warning with a fresh set of downs and allowed us to run the clock all the way down.

His interceptions were just rotten decisions and the execution was even worse. On the first one, he stared down Robiskie allowing Beason to move over and grab it. On the second, the ball came out waaaaay too late.

That being said, it's about freakin' time a break goes our way, isn't it? I was already accepting another Browns' defeat when LaFell caught that ball and the referees failed to see that he had been touched inbounds. Thank you, John Kasay. You didn't need to make that as much as we all needed you to miss it.

Oh, and one more thing. Hey, Daboll, run the f'in toss sweep on 4th and 1 instead of a one-back dive behind Steiny who was getting mauled all day. You remember the play, right, Brian? It's the one Hillis averaged about 1,000 yards per carry with Joe and Lawrence leading the way, you dope.

I was very disappointed in the play of Jake Delhomme today, probably because he looked so good early.

He was verrry slow getting back from center in the second half.

He audibled into two disastrous plays in two tries.

His decision to try to get a quick snap and get the first down on 3rd and 1 before the Dawson winning field goal was stupid on two levels. First, give the GD ball to Hillis, Jake, like we were going to. Second, it's not real smart when you consider that we were easily in field goal range and one more first down there would have moved the clock to the two minute warning with a fresh set of downs and allowed us to run the clock all the way down.

His interceptions were just rotten decisions and the execution was even worse. On the first one, he stared down Robiskie allowing Beason to move over and grab it. On the second, the ball came out waaaaay too late.

That being said, it's about freakin' time a break goes our way, isn't it? I was already accepting another Browns' defeat when LaFell caught that ball and the referees failed to see that he had been touched inbounds. Thank you, John Kasay. You didn't need to make that as much as we all needed you to miss it.

Oh, and one more thing. Hey, Daboll, run the f'in toss sweep on 4th and 1 instead of a one-back dive behind Steiny who was getting mauled all day. You remember the play, right, Brian? It's the one Hillis averaged about 1,000 yards per carry with Joe and Lawrence leading the way, you dope.

The toss was not there in the second half because they adjusted to it. The holes were up the middle if our line could block it.

I'll add one....Hodges great play on the hold for Dawson.... the play of the game IMO.

He took a rare bad snap from Pointribrand and put the ball where Dawson could actually kick it squarely.

That could have easily been a masses "Dawson Sucks" moment.

I'll add one....Hodges great play on the hold for Dawson.... the play of the game IMO.

He took a rare bad snap from Pointribrand and put the ball where Dawson could actually kick it squarely.

That could have easily been a masses "Dawson Sucks" moment.

Sorry. I did write that down too. Hodges is so good, it's almost an afterthought (unfortunately). How about pinning the Panthers at the end?

Guest Metcalf_FTW

If you watch that first Carolina TD, TJ Ward took a horrible angle and is mostly to blame for that big run. Nothing Elam could have done, if I remember correctly.

Yep TJ came up on the play and wiffed and no one was left behind

If I recall, TJ whiffed on the Santonio Holmes play for the Jets that won them the game. He is doing great things as a rookie but he has to stop whiffing. This isn't baseball. You whiff here and it is a TD for the other team, not just Strike One.

Archived