THE BROWNS BOARD

Tangled Review

Tangled

Walt Disney

PG 100 min

Well for the last few weeks DreamWorks' MEGAMIND has ridden at the top of the box office and whenever an animated feature does that it will draw comparison to the kings of the genre, Disney.

I liked that film a great deal but I have to admit TANGLED is just one example why the gang at Mouse Central has held the crown since Steamboat Willie whistled his way across the screen.

It's not that TANGLED is a better movie; both are a lot of fun, but this one is classic Disney.

You remember the fairy tale Rapunzel right?

Yeah I don't either.

Oh there was a witch and a dame with really long hair and as I recall somebody climbed it. But seriously a few minutes into the flick nobody cared about the original story.

Here the girl is a princess with magical hair that has the power to heal and rejuvenate.

That's why she's been kidnapped by a vain old crone and stuck in a tower. Those wicked old broads in fairy tales are so preoccupied with looks and youth eh?

Anyway since the child disappeared the kindly king and queen have held a ceremony every year hoping in vain for their darling daughter’s return.

So one day a thief with a heart stumbles upon the princess' high-rise jail and, well, you can probably guess.

In the grand Disney tradition there is some spectacular animation some Broadway quality production numbers and enough fun and excitement for the entire family.

Where MEGAMIND hired the big names in Will Ferrell and Brad Pitt, TANGLED opts for lesser known but very talented voices with pop singer Mandy Moore, Chuck star Zachary Levi and Tony award winner Donna Murphy as Rapunzel, Outlaw Flynn and the wicked Mother Gothel.

There are plenty of other fun characters along the way that sing dance and swashbuckle all the way to living happily ever after

It's good enough to sit at the table with the likes of CINDERELLA and SNOW WHITE.

A-

wss

email Westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived