THE BROWNS BOARD

Harry Potter ands the Deathly Hallows Review

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Warner Brothers

PG 13 146 min

As you know I’m not really a Potter aficionado, I don’t get the cult status but I have no animosity against the series. It’s been a somewhat above average slightly derivative saga aimed at the younger audience. It still is.

As the years pass characters in books can stay young forever but not so with actors nor even audiences and so to become living films, like Elven princesses, they must become mortal and age like the rest of us.

Dan Radcliffe (Potter) Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and Emma Watson (Hermione) have all aged better than the Narnia cast but they’re no longer magical children and now the film epic is about to come to a close.

I’d personally doubt the franchise could live very well with a new set of actors but it’s always possible.

Look at James Bond and Doctor Who.

Still author Rowlings seems happy to put the saga to rest.

Perhaps it’s the older cast and more mature view, but I actually liked this one better than the rest. Oh it’s still derivative but, hey, what fantasy epic doesn’t owe a huge debt to Tolkein and the Brothers Grimm?

In this chapter the bad wizards have taken over the school after the apparent death of patriarchal Dumbledore, and gang, you can see that resurrection coming a mile away.

Now Potter, the chosen one, and his closest friends must complete a quest, which, among other things, involves destroying an enchanted piece of jewelry that just happens to drain the will of anyone who wears it. Sound familiar?

Does Dobby look a lot like Gollum? Oh well.

I did like the post apocalyptic imagery along the way as well as the lack of continual explosive battles that seem to dominate a lot of films these days.

It’s a relief to see something not solely dedicated to selling a damn video game.

This is only the first part of the finale and I’ve not cheated to know what will happen next summer but here’s a prediction:

Potter saves the day aided by a “surprise” return of Dumbledore.

The bad magicians are put in their place and wizards and Muggles live in more harmony than previously.

And the evil Alan Rickman will have a flash of honor at the very end.

And everyone will live happily ever after.

B

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Steve, a couple of things:

1. Obviously you didn't read the books. So some of your predictions about the plot are not quite on the mark.

2. Dobby's character is nothing like Gollum. If he looks like Gollum, blame that on GCI technology.

3. I disagree that this series has been aimed at primarily young children. Not since about the 3rd film anyway. Teenage level kids, yea, but not real younguns.

4. Predicting that the good wins out over the evil is not quite news in the entertainment world.

5. As for Ghoolie's statements.....we ALL know that no woman can resist the charms of an adorable redhead, so the fact that Hermione ends up with Ron should be no surprise. He also apparently overlooked the fact that it was Harry who had the only major 'snogging' scene in the movie with Ginny.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, a couple of things:

1. Obviously you didn't read the books. So some of your predictions about the plot are not quite on the mark.

Nope I did not, but I'm not talking about the books. . If I'm wrong so be it.

2. Dobby's character is nothing like Gollum. If he looks like Gollum, blame that on GCI technology.

You didn't see a similarity with his evil compadre? Smagol and Deagol?

Anyway, we're talking about the movie and the CGI technology is a valid comparison.

3. I disagree that this series has been aimed at primarily young children. Not since about the 3rd film anyway. Teenage level kids, yea, but not real younguns.

I saud younger audiences not toddlers.

4. Predicting that the good wins out over the evil is not quite news in the entertainment world.

True enough. But that's one of three.

5. As for Ghoolie's statements.....we ALL know that no woman can resist the charms of an adorable redhead

Also true.

, so the fact that Hermione ends up with Ron should be no surprise. He also apparently overlooked the fact that it was Harry who had the only major 'snogging' scene in the movie with Ginny.

Hell he could end up with Weasley.

:huh:

WSS

Archived