THE BROWNS BOARD

Not What The Record Indicates

BrownIndian

Well, I think it was Bill Parcells who said "you are what your record is". OK, so, maybe the Browns have been in every game pretty much until the end losing games by 2,3,4,6,7,10,and 18 points. The latter being the Steelers game that was close in the 4th quarter until some late TOs caused the difference. But, they are still a 4-7 team...even if all their losses have come against what some may consider 7 of the best 10 teams in the game.

It is better than getting beat by 18--30 points every game like early last year when they were 1-10 at the same point in the season, but they still need something to turn things around to have been a 7-4 team instead of a 4-7 team.

They need to give up fewer gifts to the opponents on things such as passes that are intercepted for TDs, and they need still an infusion of talent on the Defensive line, Wide receiver, and maybe a few other positions.

But they are still a 4-7 team....which, despite our current concern IS a big improvement from a year ago.

Overachievers: KC Chiefs, CHI Bears, ATL Falcons, TB Buccaneers

Underachievers: CIN Bengals, IND Colts, TEN Titans, DAL Cowboys, MIN Vikings, ARI Cardinals

My list looks odd, but there are quite a few teams that have had recent success that are underperforming this season.

Feel free to correct me if I have made any mistakes.

I'm going to say that there are many more underachievers than overachievers. I don't think that 11 games into the season you can say that some teams are overachieving. They've won consistently. I don't think KC is overachieving because they have some serious talent on that team (Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Eric Berry, etc).

Overachieving: Tampa and, to a lesser degree, Chicago.

Underachieving: Cincinnati, Miami, Dallas, Minnesota, Washington

I didn't put Indy on that list because they simply have too many injuries to say that they aren't achieving what they should.

Overachievers: KC Chiefs, CHI Bears, ATL Falcons, TB Buccaneers

Underachievers: CIN Bengals, IND Colts, TEN Titans, DAL Cowboys, MIN Vikings, ARI Cardinals

My list looks odd, but there are quite a few teams that have had recent success that are underperforming this season.

Feel free to correct me if I have made any mistakes.

The Cardinals were doomed when Warner retired. I thought DA could somehow excell with those WRs...nope.

The Bengals seem to be the biggest underachievers to me. Carson Palmer is looking real bad.

Dallas...I'm glad, as I hate Jerry Jones. Jones = Modell, as both fired legendary coaches

I'm one who believes that over the course of a 16-game season, you really are what your record says you are. Maybe it's because of injuries or a tough schedule, but things have a way of finding their own level over that length of time.

I don't think a really good team loses 10 games. I think they were exposed.

I'm one who believes that over the course of a 16-game season, you really are what your record says you are. Maybe it's because of injuries or a tough schedule, but things have a way of finding their own level over that length of time.

I don't think a really good team loses 10 games. I think they were exposed.

...and Scott Pioli once said he could take 53 guys off the street and go 4-12. Strangely enough, that was KC's record last year.

Underachievers:

#1 far and away is the Cincinnati Bengals. This is not even close in terms of comparing their level of talent with how they've competed this year. The Patriots ran them out of the building in Week One which started their mess of a season. They lost to Tampa, Buffalo, Miami, and Pittsburgh at home in lackluster performances. They've done more finger pointing than scoring and tackling. They are a mess.

#2 the Vikings. Another team that used the convenient excuse of blaming the coach for all their problems. Childress isn't a very good coach, obviously, but where's the pride, gentlemen?

#3 the Cowboys

#4 the Chargers, although they're poised to make another run

#5 the Colts

Overachievers:

#1 to me is Tampa. They play in a tough division and have a tough sked with the Ravens/Steelers in there, too. They've managed to hold their own most weeks with talent that is extremely young. Despite that, the Browns should have put them away in Week 1.

#2 the Bears. Very impressive win yesterday over the Eagles. They are taking full advantage of the struggles of Minny and GB.

#3 How about a player? Michael Vick. Are you kidding me with how he is playing? He was never even close to being this dominant as a passer before his time in the federal pen.

I think the Chiefs are doing what they should in a poor division and matching up with an extremely poor NFC West. They are winning the games they should so I don't think they've overachieved. Give the Browns two games against Denver, Oakland, San Diego, and one each against Seattle, Arizona, St. Louis, and SF and I guaran-damn-tee you the Browns are no worse than 6-4 in those games.

The Rams also are benefitting from a weak schedule. They've shown the same type of grit the Browns have displayed, but they haven't had to face New England, NY Jets, and New Orleans when doing so.

It's hard to really place the Browns because their record doesn't reflect overachievement yet when you watch the games you realize in at least eight of the eleven they don't have nearly the same level of talent as the other team. The three I refer to where the talent level is similar are TB, KC, and Carolina. Cincy, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, NYJ, Atlanta, and Jacksonville all have a great deal more talent than the Browns. And the Browns could have/should have/did legitimately beaten six or seven of those teams.

Archived