THE BROWNS BOARD

Wrap Your Brain Around This: 10/29

shepwrite

That's Delhomme's TD/INT ratio since his playoff loss at the end of 2008: 10 TDs and 29 INTs. We're talking Ryan Leaf bad. Unthinkably bad. Bottom of the barrel bad. In that time, about 19 games, he has a passer rating of about 55.

Yet we still had to hear Mangini insinuate four weeks ago that when Jake got healthy he'd start again. And even after yesterday, we have to hear that Jake sees things McCoy can't. We have to be reminded that the Browns signed him to start at a SEVEN MILL pricetag.

It all seems like a cruel joke, that a guy who has thrown almost 30 picks in his last 19 games would be treated like a top-shelf NFL starter.

Every once in a while, something happens in sports that makes so little sense it just blows your mind. This is one of those things.

That's Delhomme's TD/INT ratio since his playoff loss at the end of 2008: 10 TDs and 29 INTs. We're talking Ryan Leaf bad. Unthinkably bad. Bottom of the barrel bad. In that time, about 19 games, he has a passer rating of about 55.

Yet we still had to hear Mangini insinuate four weeks ago that when Jake got healthy he'd start again. And even after yesterday, we have to hear that Jake sees things McCoy can't. We have to be reminded that the Browns signed him to start at a SEVEN MILL pricetag.

It all seems like a cruel joke, that a guy who has thrown almost 30 picks in his last 19 games would be treated like a top-shelf NFL starter.

Every once in a while, something happens in sports that makes so little sense it just blows your mind. This is one of those things.

It's bad when you wish your 12-year vet would play more like your rookie.

Jake looked real strong in the first quarter and then reverted into the dangerous mistake-machine that he has been for three years.

Great guy, but he's our third-best QB. Mangini needs to digest that and move on with a McCoy/Wallace depth chart and Delhomme holding a clipboard the rest of the season unless both of those two guys can't walk.

Zombo

It's bad when you wish your 12-year vet would play more like your rookie.

Jake looked real strong in the first quarter and then reverted into the dangerous mistake-machine that he has been for three years.

Great guy, but he's our third-best QB. Mangini needs to digest that and move on with a McCoy/Wallace depth chart and Delhomme holding a clipboard the rest of the season unless both of those two guys can't walk.

Zombo

OK, but what is the status on McCoy and Wallace's injuries, if you ...or anyone knows?

Shep I re-watched the D*tv shortcuts before I called it a night- and Delhomme was incredibly lucky against the Panthers he didn't get even MORE passes picked off.

'Tis said if a WR has a step on a defender in the NFL he's "open" but Jake forced a ton of balls into double coverage and got away with it in the first half.

Let's add in he's as leadfoot as DA, and makes about as many bad decisions- that pick 6 should never, ever have been thrown- the guy was double covered, Munnerlin knew he had help deep, and had a free shot on the ball.

Jake lulls you into thinking he's actually good- the game winning FG drive he looked like Peyton Manning- but then he makes the absolute stupid pick. You can bet that Mangini may SAY he's got confidence in Jake- but you can bet Mr. Turnover Machine will be back holding the clipboard the second Colt is ready to play again- and let's hope that's soon. Delhomme is exactly what the Panther fans said he was.

PS as an aside on the second half playcalling- it wasn't that bad- but plays that were working in the first half weren't in the second- and don't blame Mangini for being conservative we went for it on fourth and one twice. :)

Those numbers are great, as sick to my stomach I feel everytime he goes back to pass, I can now smile knowing how bad he really is.

what does mangini see? Jakes body language really says it all. He is slow, un athletic and a turn over machine..

Is it my imagination or does the whole team have more energy when Colt's in?

Is it my imagination or does the whole team have more energy when Colt's in?

I've said it before, & I'll say it again....The GREAT ones make those around him better, & the players play better when Colt is out there. To me, that single intangible ensures that Colt McCoy is the REAL on field leader of the Cleveland Browns. I need see no more to know that. Kathy, you are right. The entire team plays with more confidence & FIRE when the kid's out there.

Mike

Archived