THE BROWNS BOARD

Can we, as Fans, be more positive?

Canton Mike

Ok, I've had it with the negative posts. We can beat to death all the things we still need & our deficiencies, but the bottom line is...We have to play with what we currently have in place.

After next week's Miami game, I would like to see more posts accentuating the game's POSITIVES about the Brown's Players & Coaches, regardless whether we win or lose. I would prefer to read positives about the Team or Coaches rather than INDIVIDUAL Players. I maintain that EVERY game involving ANY Team(s) has positives & negatives, & I also believe that we Fans best serve the Brown's Team by being upbeat & positive.

We now have a Front Office & Coaching Staff that is trying to build a WINNER....Let's do OUR part!

Mike

ps: Please don't say "positive about WHAT?"..There are ALWAYS bright spots.

I'm on board, Canton Mike. The last three games have been SOOOO difficult to watch-- truly bad for the blood pressure-- but I think that our banged up players are good guys who are doing the very best they can. I want them to succeed not just because they are my team, but because we have a team of people you can genuinely care about. This team has heart and commitment. That's a testament to our coaches who put them in a position to succeed and to our front office which has picked the right kind of guys. Yes, we need more talent, but just give it time. We're definitely making progress.

I hate to be repetitive, but we wouldn't be on an Internet Browns board if we weren't maniacal fans... and we aren't likely to just come here to guzzle the Kool-Aid, beat our chests, and diss the Steelers. We're looking for informed conversation/debate on our favorite hobby/passion, the Cleveland Browns.

I think you can scroll through the topics here and find plenty of positives. But we're 4-7, not 10-1, and that doesn't happen because everything's awesome. Hey, teams make REALLY dramatic turnarounds in this league. The Rams did it with Warner and they're doing it to a less redonkulous degree right now, from dreadful to 5-6 and in the playoffs as of today. The Buccaneers are serious contenders. The Falcons recently rebuilt and became instant playoff participants.

Yes, I see progress. Yes, we're a better team than last year. Yes, I'm excited about McCoy, Hillis, Vickers, Thomas, Mack, Moore, Ward, Haden, Benard, and Rubin, young guys stepping up to become the nucleus of a team that really should be expected to win 10 games and go to the playoffs next year.

The five year plan is dead. Teams that push all the right buttons in a single offseason can go from patsies to winners. We can give the Holmgren Era two full offseasons to field a playoff team... but there's no reason to be happy with .500 after this season.

Do I believe we pushed all the right buttons? No. I think we got several right and a couple wrong, but I have the benefit of hindsight. I think we need speed on the edges of our defense, a couple linebackers, a #1 WR, and another right-side blocker. About five serious guys.

That's do-able.

Yeah shepwrite pretty much sayed it all.

I will be more positive, though..

I'm positive delhommo sucks and should be benched..

Did anyone here the announcers say he considers himself always a panther. That's great to say if ur retired, but I'm positive that pissed me off.

I know he got paid a ton from the panthers but is wearing a browns uniform.

I don't believe in telling people what to say , but find I read most positive articles more . I can recognize a rant when I see one , and feel if I can hold it in I don't plan on reading the frustrations of others .

I agree, actually. When it gets to the Armageddon hyperbole, I'll pass. But that's easy to do.

I think you would be better off asking for people to be level headed rather than positive. The maniacs positive and negative pretty much kill any chance of a decent discussion on this board. The hyperbole is only outweighed by the name calling, the juvenile nicknames, and the homophobes. It is a shame, this board could be productive.

I am totally tired about feeling semi-ok with a loss.

I am totally good with a win.

Just because it didn't meet some people's expectation isn't my concern.

Let the Carolina fans feel good about their loss.

As individuals, there's no reason why we can't all be a little more positive. It's not easy to do. I don't mind the negativity as long as it's reasoned negativity. For instance, if you want to debate a certain play or philosophy because you don't like what (insert coach's or player's name here) did then that's fine but bring me some facts.

Case in point: Jake Delhomme's performance yesterday. There are a lot of people crying about his performance and while I will grant you that he threw an awful pick-six and he makes me cringe every time he drops back...it wasn't all awful. There were several nicely thrown balls like the one to Moore on the goal line where he got hit helmet-to-helmet or that nice dart that he threw to convert a first down.

See, dear friends, we tend to heap hyperbolic praise or catastrophic negativity more than we tend to be even-handed in our criticisms.

I have no problem with someone telling me that Jake Delhomme sucks but tell me WHY he sucks and make it believable. Also, don't run away and cover your ears (or eyes) when I offer you evidence that goes against your premise.

We all like a good debate but the best debates are fact driven....not emotion driven. I won't say we need to be more positive. We need to be more open-minded.

I agree with ballpeen when he says to let Carolina fans feel good about their loss. As far as I'm concerned there's never a good loss. Perhaps we allow ourselves one good loss a year to keep the carrot out in front but that's not going to make it sting or suck any less.

As individuals, there's no reason why we can't all be a little more positive. It's not easy to do. I don't mind the negativity as long as it's reasoned negativity. For instance, if you want to debate a certain play or philosophy because you don't like what (insert coach's or player's name here) did then that's fine but bring me some facts.

Case in point: Jake Delhomme's performance yesterday. There are a lot of people crying about his performance and while I will grant you that he threw an awful pick-six and he makes me cringe every time he drops back...it wasn't all awful. There were several nicely thrown balls like the one to Moore on the goal line where he got hit helmet-to-helmet or that nice dart that he threw to convert a first down.

See, dear friends, we tend to heap hyperbolic praise or catastrophic negativity more than we tend to be even-handed in our criticisms.

I have no problem with someone telling me that Jake Delhomme sucks but tell me WHY he sucks and make it believable. Also, don't run away and cover your ears (or eyes) when I offer you evidence that goes against your premise.

We all like a good debate but the best debates are fact driven....not emotion driven. I won't say we need to be more positive. We need to be more open-minded.

Earl,

Well said. I also was angry with the 2 picks, but remember that Jake did make a number of excellent throws & reads & has also been Colt's mentor & is a VERY large reason the young man has progressed so rapidly.

Mike

I'm very happy with the Browns improvement.

They kick ass, they play as a TEAM, no more prima donnas, they LOVe the game,

and they leave it all out on the field.

You let this team get the right 4 or 5 guys added.... and the close losses this year

will be big wins next year.

The criticism of the current relatively few weaknesses with these Browns...

be patient. This Browns team has warp drive. Some fine tuning, and we are challengers/winners of the division...

and more.

I'm very positive about that.

The five year plan is dead. Teams that push all the right buttons in a single offseason can go from patsies to winners. We can give the Holmgren Era two full offseasons to field a playoff team... but there's no reason to be happy with .500 after this season.

I have no problems with winning now but I really don't want to be one of those teams that makes a turn around then drops back into mediocrity the year after.

I just don't understand how we played so well against the Saints and Patriots, but then when it's time to play terrible teams like the Jaguars and Panthers we play absolutely terrible. I'm trying to be positive but I really think we will lose to the Bills, who shouldn't even be considered an NFL team. Still think we have a shot at 8-8 though. and of course the what-ifs. What if we won the close games we should have won, we could be in contention. But that's life as a Browns fan, too bad we don't get lucky every week like a certain other team. Too bad we don't have refs on our side either....oh well

I don't necessarily agree with this shep, the rams are playing in a weaksauce NFC West, and the Chiefs were just a few players, and coaches away last year from being a decent team. They arent necessarily shocking the world right now either.

None of the cellar dwelling teams from the past few years are lighting it up this year save for the falcons. The 3-5 year plan is still very much in play.

Next season the browns will play 10-6 ball the year after that barring any major set backs the sky is really the limit.

This hypocritical view is killing me.....there are no terrible teams in the NFL. We, as other consider us, are a terrible team. Yet we beat some really good teams. Don't fall into the trap of rating a team based on record alone....cause I know many of you know don't like it when other fans do it to us. By all rights, no way should we have beat the teams we beat....we were just the better team that day. Carolina was a much better team than us yesterday, with the pickle at the helm. Jacksonvilles a terrible team? Then so are we as they kicked the hell outta us.

There's more to football than the record. If there wasn't, why even go or watch when facing a better opponent?

I know this thread was directed at me and others that have not been "more positive". I already apologized, but I needed to get the WR issue off my chest this past week. However, I have (on numerous occaisions) discussed the fine play of the linebackers. Colt, all the drafted players, Hillis "the beast", and more.

Colt still amazes me. Whatever the experts thought he lacked, he more than makes up for in accuracy and smarts. I don't know much about pre-season, but once he started against Pitt., he had me at hello. And he improved week after week. He led an offence that was moving down the field like a frieght train. 3-and-out was but a faint memory of past-QB's. My heart pounded everytime our offence took the field. And the feeling I get everytime Hillis runs the ball is the whole reason I watch NFL football in the first place.

Oh by the way, if any of you football fans keep an eye on the CFL, feel free to send CONGRATS my way as my Montreal Alouettes won their second Grey Cup in as manys years. OK we know it's not a game played by the best football players in the world, but it's our game and we're proud of it. Montreal, city of champions (Expos excluded)!

Guys- I'll put in my .02- and part of it as a Mod. Negativity is all relative. You want to see negativity? Just go read some of the replies to Browns articles on Cleveland.com- there's a bunch of Negative Nellie board hogs there I swear wouldn't be happy even if the Browns won the Super Bowl by 20- they'd say they shoulda won by 30. Thank God none of them has called Hillis a bum yet- but that will come in due time. 1\2 the crap I see there is "fire Mangini, fire Daboll".

But just being all positive isn't realistic- really. That's the fun of a message board- it would be mighty boring if we all agreed about everything.

I have no problem calling a player (or coach) out when they have a bad game- I let Jake Go-homme have it after a less than stellar outing.

What I don't like is the too frequent juvenile cussing that goes on when someone doesn't agree with another's opinion- can the name-calling please. When you resort to name-calling- YOU LOST. If you're going to disagree- state your case- but have something to back it up.

And this goes for some of the real long time regulars- after 20 or so posts stating your position, no need to bring it up 20 more times in a different way- the other regulars know where you stand on the issue- or player- and you know who you (plural) are. :)

Yeah shepwrite pretty much sayed it all.

I will be more positive, though..

I'm positive delhommo sucks and should be benched..

Did anyone here the announcers say he considers himself always a panther. That's great to say if ur retired, but I'm positive that pissed me off.

I know he got paid a ton from the panthers but is wearing a browns uniform.

Speaking of announcers those two clowns on Fox Network were some of the worst guys in the booth that I have heard in a long time. Boring to the max, I turned off the TV sound and tuned in Jim & Doug. As far as Jake goes he's just passing through town. He will be a trivia question soon.

This hypocritical view is killing me.....there are no terrible teams in the NFL. We, as other consider us, are a terrible team. Yet we beat some really good teams. Don't fall into the trap of rating a team based on record alone....cause I know many of you know don't like it when other fans do it to us. By all rights, no way should we have beat the teams we beat....we were just the better team that day. Carolina was a much better team than us yesterday, with the pickle at the helm. Jacksonvilles a terrible team? Then so are we as they kicked the hell outta us.

There's more to football than the record. If there wasn't, why even go or watch when facing a better opponent?

I agree and for those of you who don't watch Jacksonville, they're pretty good. Carolina? Yes, they're 1-10 and may qualify but they've given some teams plenty of trouble. If you think you can beat ANY team in the NFL by just rolling the helmet out onto the field, you're mistaken.

Ok, I've had it with the negative posts. We can beat to death all the things we still need & our deficiencies, but the bottom line is...We have to play with what we currently have in place.

After next week's Miami game, I would like to see more posts accentuating the game's POSITIVES about the Brown's Players & Coaches, regardless whether we win or lose. I would prefer to read positives about the Team or Coaches rather than INDIVIDUAL Players. I maintain that EVERY game involving ANY Team(s) has positives & negatives, & I also believe that we Fans best serve the Brown's Team by being upbeat & positive.

We now have a Front Office & Coaching Staff that is trying to build a WINNER....Let's do OUR part!

Mike

ps: Please don't say "positive about WHAT?"..There are ALWAYS bright spots.

Canton Mike is right, let's support Delhomme like he did Derek Anderson last season. I mean, "We have to play with what we currently have in place, Canton Mike would like to see more posts accentuating the game's POSITIVES about the Brown's Players & Coaches, regardless whether we win or lose. I would prefer to read positives about the Team or Coaches rather than INDIVIDUAL Players. I maintain that EVERY game involving ANY Team(s) has positives & negatives, & I also believe that we Fans best serve the Brown's Team by being upbeat & positive."

So please, take after Canton Mike and praise Derek Anderson's Delhomme's play, as every team has positives and negatives, and Canton Mike believes that we Fans best serve the Brown's Team by being upbeat & positive..

Note to Canton Mike: Derek Anderson went 10-5 in 2007 and you bashed the shit out of him. But today sells the win or lose, stay positive bullshit?

(What a hyprocrite)

i wanna say something positive about jake delhomme. the guy should not be starting against the dolphins this week because he has nothing left to contribute on the field. however, everything that he has done for mccoy underscores why he needs to play out his contract with this team. next year is the final year of delhomme's contract and will in all probability be the year that mccoy starts in all 16 games. he needs to be kept on in mentor capacity only. DO NOT CUT HIM.

Positive is great if there are things to be positive about and there are many things to be positive about but there is also many issues with the browns org that are questionable if not downright negative, yes even in a rebuild year...

Personally i am trying to stay upbeat even though i absolutely hate dabolls guts and think only slightly higher of faggini and his lousy system, but i like many have made my complaints known through the proper fan to club channels and will leave the job of hiring/firing/corrections up to the front office, rationally discussing touchy issues is part of participating on a fan discussion forum as both positive and negative things happen with this club every day, week, month...

As for the guys with rose colored glasses spewing only the good vibe everything is great in berea crap like there is nothing wrong are no better and often setup negative feedback, this club has plenty of both good and bad vibes to be discussed calmly and intelligently by fans...

Archived