THE BROWNS BOARD

Little-known players producing all-time statistical seasons

next2nothing

Little-known players producing all-time statistical seasons

Greg Trott / Associated Press

Hillis: Steal of the century

The aforementioned Brady Quinn trade gave the Broncos a backup quarterback. The Browns got a franchise running back.

While McDaniels can take some credit for Lloyd and Orton, he dumped Hillis in one of his less-than-stellar moves as head coach and de facto co-GM. Hillis looked like a good short yardage back with some explosiveness under the Mike Shanahan regime, but McDaniels consistently used Knowshon Moreno last season in those situations. Thus, when he dealt Hillis for Quinn, not too much was made of the loss of a little-used power back.

The guy has been an everything-back for Cleveland. He's shown nimbleness that no one other than possibly his folks knew was there, while still being a powerful inside presence. "Peyton's a load," Browns coach Eric Mangini said earlier this season. "I avoid him in the hallways. I don't want to dislocate my shoulder."

Hillis' inside-outside capabilities gave Mangini the confidence to go with him as a lead back, and 900 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns later, that confidence has been rewarded. He's the real deal. In fact, Hillis is the fourth Brown to score 10 touchdowns in the first 10 games of the season, joining Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell, and Leroy Kelly. Those guys are all in Canton.

Hillis has outrushed all of the Broncos' running backs combined this season (905-873), and is on pace for 19 total touchdowns (16 rushing). That's pretty good for a Brady Quinn-trade afterthought.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c8...le=HP_spotlight

I like that Hillis is getting the national attention he deserves. Guy is a beast and plays hard every down. Steal of the century is putting it lightly... to think we got this guy for Quinn, who hasn't done anything in Denver.

When it's all said and done this trade could be the best we've made since coming back in '99.

there's no doubt we fleeced Denver bad on this one. The only thing I could say in Denver's defense is that moreno is a pretty good back himself, and was going to be their feature back regardless. Either way, just one of many good moves this organization can and will make.

Archived