THE BROWNS BOARD

Abe's Emergence

shepwrite

How much dirt did Abe Elam have to kick off to be perhaps the Browns best defensive player over the last month? A key forced fumble, a multiple sack game, interceptions, several passes defended, a game with six solos... it's tough to figure who's been better. Mangini has said Elam only played one year of safety in college and never was a full-time starter before 2009... and Elam agrees with him that his best football is ahead of him. It's tough to imagine the Browns letting him get away, which means the secondary would be set for next year with Haden, Brown, Elam, and Ward... with Wright in the nickel.

Would not have dreamt that five or six weeks ago. Now I've read two media outlets calling Elam the Browns best playmaker on defense.

Good chance Wright won't be here next year. Not that the browns won't try to re sign him, but I don't think he is going to want to stay here knowing that he will just be a backup. I agree that Elam has started playing a lot better, but it is going to take more than a few games to change my mind about him. At the very least he is a good stop gate so we don't need to focus on Safety again in the draft this year, and he can be a good back up for many years.

I have trashed abe elam from when we aquired him. His first couple of plays I chalked up to luck. After watching him the last month he has def played real well. He still isn't the best tackler. I wouldn't call him the next stevon moore yet, but I have stopped making fun of him

How much dirt did Abe Elam have to kick off to be perhaps the Browns best defensive player over the last month? A key forced fumble, a multiple sack game, interceptions, several passes defended, a game with six solos... it's tough to figure who's been better. Mangini has said Elam only played one year of safety in college and never was a full-time starter before 2009... and Elam agrees with him that his best football is ahead of him. It's tough to imagine the Browns letting him get away, which means the secondary would be set for next year with Haden, Brown, Elam, and Ward... with Wright in the nickel.

Would not have dreamt that five or six weeks ago. Now I've read two media outlets calling Elam the Browns best playmaker on defense.

It's a sound observation. I wnated Elam out in the off season - last year he was late to the ball so many times I was sick of him. I have to say you are right, I have caught myself begrudgingly acknowledging his contribution whilst watching games this season, I never like to admit I might be wrong but might have to here. Let's see how he plays out.

Maybe abe is showing he can play the game?

He lacks much that you want to see in a safety but he has been able to make up for it by playing with cunning brute strength, vision and heart, 3 things i thought he lacked...

I really hope he is hitting a stride and growing, something else i didnt think he could do...

Or maybe its because of the injuries the defense has sustained and elam is just getting lucky and or stepping it up, whichever i am glad for him and enjoying watching the guy go for the ball when the opportunity arises, theres nothing that makes QBs and WRs more paranoid than throwing at a ballhawk and maybe elam is becoming a ballhawk...

LOL, yes you would you were telling everybody what a great season he was having 5 or 6 weeks ago. Anyway, good post, I think Elam has come around big time, he was on me shit list there for awhile.

If you recall, I said it was very important for him and Pashos to have good years. Well, Pashos ended up hurt but we survived that with Poke Chop, and the emergence of Yates was huge. What a shame he got hurt, but that was a serious find right there, that kid can play.

Wright is gone as gone can get unless he wants to take way less than he can get on the open market. Regardless of his play this year, he will get some nice offers in FA.

these past couple games have left many conveniently forgetting all the blown tackles and first downs opponents have gotten while Abe attempted to strip the ball, unsuccessfully.

let's see if Mr. Elam can keep his streak alive without having his family and friends in the crowd...call me cynical but that's what i attribute his recent success to, that and the law of averages. fwiw he played like crap when his peeps weren't in the stands, so i expect more of the same ol mediocre play to follow.

another option would be to take up a collection to get them all tix for the rest of the season tho. :)

you listening Randy? please, make it happen!

Archived