THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoffs

DAWGPOUND16

Yeah Browns aren't officially out yet, I'm just making this thread because this is what will need to happen to reach the wild card, I'm not raising my hopes but still it is what it is.

win out obviously, @ Bills, @ Bengals, vs RAVENS, vs Steelers

and Ravens need to lose these next 4 games, @ Texans MNF, vs Saints, @ BROWNS, vs Bengals (Bengals beat them last time)

So if Ravens lose their next 2, that week 16 game at CBS will be very interesting.

Btw, you know what else really blows, if we could of just beat the Jets and Jags, we would be 7-5 right now, while Ravens are 8-4, really stings, but either way I had us winning 7 games so I'll be satisfied with that.

You're working out playoff possibilities one day after saying we won't win another game with Jake starting.

Do you hurt yourself jumping on and off the bandwagon that much?

Yea we know Mark. But it's nice to think that we have a 1 in a 100,000 chance vs. a chance in hell. I'm more excited about the direction the team is going and how competitive we are going to be next year.

The Browns need the following things to happen to get into the playoffs:

#1) Win out

#2) Have the following teams lose once more: Miami, San Diego, Houston and Indianapolis.

#3) Oakland loses twice (@ Jax, vs. Den, vs. Indy, @ KC)

#4) Baltimore loses three games (@ Hou, vs. NO, @ Cle, vs. Cincy)

Obviously the Browns control #1, but no game is a gimme in this league especially the last two where we'll be 'dogs at home.

I think #2 will happen: Miami plays NE & NY on the road yet. Houston plays Jax and is on the road at Ten & Den. Indy hosts Jax and goes to Oakland and Ten. SD has the easiest road to win out with KC and SF at home and Cincy and Den on the road but there's a loss somewhere in there.

#3 is likely to happen, too, as the Raiders have three toughies in 4.

#4 is the one that I think definitely will not happen. I don't see Baltimore losing two of the three we need (@Hou, vs. NO, vs. Cincy) to give us any shot. But who knows?

Imagine this, though:

Cleveland beats Buffalo/Cincy in the next two weeks (Probable)

Miami loses to the Jets this week (Likely)

San Diego loses to KC this week (Probable)

Oakland loses to Jacksonville this week (Likely)

Baltimore loses to Houston and New Orleans in the next two weeks (Not very likely, but that's why they play the games)

This would be the scenario then, heading into the Browns' Week 16 showdown with the Ravens:

The Browns would need a victory over Baltimore and an Oakland loss at home to Indy to control their own destiny headed into Week 17 against Pittsburgh. At the very least, a Browns win under this scenario would keep them alive heading into the last week of the season when the Raiders have to go into Arrowhead.

Besides what the Browns do, it all comes down to how Baltimore fares these next two weeks. If the Browns defeat Buffalo and Houston wins on Monday night next week, things could get very interesting the last three weeks.

I know the 'if' and 'maybe' meter on this post is overheating, but so what.

The Browns need the following things to happen to get into the playoffs:

#1) Win out

#2) Have the following teams lose once more: Miami, San Diego, Houston and Indianapolis.

#3) Oakland loses twice (@ Jax, vs. Den, vs. Indy, @ KC)

#4) Baltimore loses three games (@ Hou, vs. NO, @ Cle, vs. Cincy)

Obviously the Browns control #1, but no game is a gimme in this league especially the last two where we'll be 'dogs at home.

I think #2 will happen: Miami plays NE & NY on the road yet. Houston plays Jax and is on the road at Ten & Den. Indy hosts Jax and goes to Oakland and Ten. SD has the easiest road to win out with KC and SF at home and Cincy and Den on the road but there's a loss somewhere in there.

#3 is likely to happen, too, as the Raiders have three toughies in 4.

#4 is the one that I think definitely will not happen. I don't see Baltimore losing two of the three we need (@Hou, vs. NO, vs. Cincy) to give us any shot. But who knows?

Imagine this, though:

Cleveland beats Buffalo/Cincy in the next two weeks (Probable)

Miami loses to the Jets this week (Likely)

San Diego loses to KC this week (Probable)

Oakland loses to Jacksonville this week (Likely)

Baltimore loses to Houston and New Orleans in the next two weeks (Not very likely, but that's why they play the games)

This would be the scenario then, heading into the Browns' Week 16 showdown with the Ravens:

The Browns would need a victory over Baltimore and an Oakland loss at home to Indy to control their own destiny headed into Week 17 against Pittsburgh. At the very least, a Browns win under this scenario would keep them alive heading into the last week of the season when the Raiders have to go into Arrowhead.

Besides what the Browns do, it all comes down to how Baltimore fares these next two weeks. If the Browns defeat Buffalo and Houston wins on Monday night next week, things could get very interesting the last three weeks.

I know the 'if' and 'maybe' meter on this post is overheating, but so what.

ok so its great being able to say we aren't officially eliminated from the playoffs yet.. especially comparing our record right now to last year (5-7 vs. 1-11). However, I would be happy with 7-9 which is the record I predicted at the beginning of the season.. I am just excited about the progress we have made and I am praying that there will be football next year so the browns can have a shot at the playoffs...

At Houston is not a walk in the park. The Saints are still one of the best teams in the league. And Cincy beat them the first time they played.

Sure it'a a long. long shot ... but hope is a wonderful thing.

Zombo

You're working out playoff possibilities one day after saying we won't win another game with Jake starting.

Do you hurt yourself jumping on and off the bandwagon that much?

I'm not on the bandwagon, I'm a die hard Browns fan, but I didn't believe in Jake Delhomme and still don't, needless to say, we won't even need a QB to beat the Bills and Bungles, I'm guessing Colt will be back for the last 2 division games.

At Houston is not a walk in the park. The Saints are still one of the best teams in the league. And Cincy beat them the first time they played.

Sure it'a a long. long shot ... but hope is a wonderful thing.

Zombo

Agreed Zombo, but sadly it's also the hope that kills you! There is nothing I'd like more than arriving In Cleveland for the Stoolers game, needing a win to squeek into the playoffs on the last day, but sadly I still think it highly, highly unlikely (but still not totally impossible.) ;)

I'm not on the bandwagon, I'm a die hard Browns fan, but I didn't believe in Jake Delhomme and still don't, needless to say, we won't even need a QB to beat the Bills and Bungles, I'm guessing Colt will be back for the last 2 division games.

Please don't do that...Any given Sunday

Ask the Steelers and Ravens if they needed a QB to beat the Bills (both won in OT and Buffalo game them all they could handle) and ask the Saints if they needed Brees on Sunday to squeak out a win over Cincinatti.

I think we should win both games..but I'm certainly not overconfident.

Yeah Browns aren't officially out yet, I'm just making this thread because this is what will need to happen to reach the wild card, I'm not raising my hopes but still it is what it is.

win out obviously, @ Bills, @ Bengals, vs RAVENS, vs Steelers

and Ravens need to lose these next 4 games, @ Texans MNF, vs Saints, @ BROWNS, vs Bengals (Bengals beat them last time)

So if Ravens lose their next 2, that week 16 game at CBS will be very interesting.

Btw, you know what else really blows, if we could of just beat the Jets and Jags, we would be 7-5 right now, while Ravens are 8-4, really stings, but either way I had us winning 7 games so I'll be satisfied with that.

So basically the Ravens have to decide that they have played enough football this year and aren't interested in finishing the season.

After the game last night (man, can't believe we lost to the jets) they showed a grapic for the AFC playoff picture and it was cool to see our orange helmet listed "in the mix". 9-7 and a playoff spot may be a pipe dream, but 5-7 sure as hell beats 1-11 which were last year at this point.

Zombo

--OBTW .. we HAMMERED those Patriots everyone is loving on right now.

The biggest contender for the 6th spot Wildcard is Baltimore. Jets have it locked up as a 5th seed.

Baltimore is 8-4, Cleveland is 5-7. Browns are 3 games back with 4 left to play. One would think that the Browns have absolutely no chance at overcoming a 3 game deficit. But they do.

Baltimore's remaining schedule is very difficult. Browns is incredibly easy.

Baltimore must play their next game at houston for Monday night football where is a must win game for Houston. Houston is solid team and better than their record indicates and will play their asses off. This could be a L for Ravens.

Baltimore's next game is home for the Saints, who are playing as good as anybody right now. Potential L for Ravens.

The following game is home for Cleveland who is a favorite to be 7-7 at this point. This will be the battle for the wildcard right here. We are much imporved from the earlier loss in the season where we only lost by a td. Give the ravens a a L here.

Baltimore is then home for Cinci where i will give them a W.

Browns OTOH have 3 cupcakes remaining. Bills, Bengals, and STEELERS.

Now there are no cupcakes in the NFL, and you can't take a single game for granted. But, other than carolina, who in the league would you rather face in back to back weeks than the Buffalo Bills and Cincinatti Bengals. We should win these two games.

This puts us at 7-7 against Baltimore. Very tough game. Can we pull out the win at home? Definitely.

The last week will be a win since steelers will be resting their players. Pitt will clinch up the number 2 spot in the AFC. They have nothing to play for. They can't get the one spot because Pats already beat them earlier in the year. They wont get the #3 because their record will be much better than the winner of the AFC South or the AFC West.

Pitt will be soft while Browns will be playing for thier whole season. Give Browns the W.

I believe the Browns have a good chance of finishing 9-7 and Baltimore also finsihing 9-7.

The question comes down to will we win the tiebreak? Yes becasue we will have the better divisional record!

Keys for this to happen:

1. we must win every week. We have a soft schedule so its not impossible and we pay good hard nosed football and manufacture wins.

2. Ravens must lose these next two weeks. If they drop a MNF game to the texans in texas (possible) and drop a home game to the saints (probable) then the Browns control our own destiny.

3. Steelers Must keep WINNING! WE need them to have clinched a #2 spot in the AFC so they rest their players in week 17 and have no incentive to play for.

The biggest contender for the 6th spot Wildcard is Baltimore. Jets have it locked up as a 5th seed.

Baltimore is 8-4, Cleveland is 5-7. Browns are 3 games back with 4 left to play. One would think that the Browns have absolutely no chance at overcoming a 3 game deficit. But they do.

Baltimore's remaining schedule is very difficult. Browns is incredibly easy.

Baltimore must play their next game at houston for Monday night football where is a must win game for Houston. Houston is solid team and better than their record indicates and will play their asses off. This could be a L for Ravens.

Baltimore's next game is home for the Saints, who are playing as good as anybody right now. Potential L for Ravens.

The following game is home for Cleveland who is a favorite to be 7-7 at this point. This will be the battle for the wildcard right here. We are much imporved from the earlier loss in the season where we only lost by a td. Give the ravens a a L here.

Baltimore is then home for Cinci where i will give them a W.

Browns OTOH have 3 cupcakes remaining. Bills, Bengals, and STEELERS.

Now there are no cupcakes in the NFL, and you can't take a single game for granted. But, other than carolina, who in the league would you rather face in back to back weeks than the Buffalo Bills and Cincinatti Bengals. We should win these two games.

This puts us at 7-7 against Baltimore. Very tough game. Can we pull out the win at home? Definitely.

The last week will be a win since steelers will be resting their players. Pitt will clinch up the number 2 spot in the AFC. They have nothing to play for. They can't get the one spot because Pats already beat them earlier in the year. They wont get the #3 because their record will be much better than the winner of the AFC South or the AFC West.

Pitt will be soft while Browns will be playing for thier whole season. Give Browns the W.

I believe the Browns have a good chance of finishing 9-7 and Baltimore also finsihing 9-7.

The question comes down to will we win the tiebreak? Yes becasue we will have the better divisional record!

Keys for this to happen:

1. we must win every week. We have a soft schedule so its not impossible and we pay good hard nosed football and manufacture wins.

2. Ravens must lose these next two weeks. If they drop a MNF game to the texans in texas (possible) and drop a home game to the saints (probable) then the Browns control our own destiny.

3. Steelers Must keep WINNING! WE need them to have clinched a #2 spot in the AFC so they rest their players in week 17 and have no incentive to play for.

it's something to root for.

The Raiders, Dolphins, Colts and Chargers all have a better record than the Browns also, so we need to add losses to each of those teams in this crazy scenerio.

But I'm game...

Go Browns!!

Go Texans!

Archived