The Gipper

If the playoffs started today these are the teams that would make it in:

AFC:

East Patriots with the #1 seed

North: Steelers

South: Jaguars

West: Chiefs

Wildcards: Jets and Ravens

Even now with still 4 games to go these are the teams that will almost certainly make it, as all except Jacksonville have at least a two game lead over their nearest competitor.

NFC:

East: Eagles (by virtue of win over Giants)

North: Bears

South: Falcons with #1 seed

West: Rams (by virtue of win over Seahawks)

Wildcards: Saint and Giants (by virtue of better conference records over Green Bay)

In the hunt: Buccaneers

Big Games between contenders coming up:

Week 14: Rams vs. Saints

Week 15: Jags vs. Colts, Saints vs. Ravens, Eagles vs. Giants, Chiefs vs. Rams, Falcons vs. Seahawks, Jets vs. Steelers, Packers vs. Patriots

Week 16: Jets vs. Bears, Seahawks vs. Bucs, Colts vs. Raiders, Giants vs. Packers, Saints vs. Falcons

Week 17: Bucs vs. Saints, Raiders vs. Chiefs, Bears vs. Packers, Rams vs. Seahawks

How do the Patriots look so good against the top teams when they have the worst defense (statistically) in the NFL!

Actually I can't believe I am saying this Stone is right. Not the worst defense in terms of points, but second worst to the Redskins in terms of yards. Still the end of the season, we all know defense and running the ball win games in December. Everyone of their remaining games are in cold weather.

I hate to say it but I think the Patriots will take the AFC this year, they're scary good. They'll most likely beat the Falcons/Eagles.

How do you see things shaking up?

Right now, you are right. But things can change. That team's (pat's) lack of a quality defense (despite last night's performance) is still something that should be of concern to them. The Falcons do appear to me to be the class of the NFC.

Actually I can't believe I am saying this Stone is right. Not the worst defense in terms of points, but second worst to the Redskins in terms of yards. Still the end of the season, we all know defense and running the ball win games in December. Everyone of their remaining games are in cold weather.

Yea, but that cold weather will likely be played mostly in their home stadium, and I believe Brady just set the record for being the starting QB with the most consecutive home victories. People better hope they lose to Chicago on the road.

Somehow I think the Colts will pull through in the South. I believe the both AFC wildcards will win the first round of the playoffs. Of the potential playoff contenders, I believe Baltimore has the best chance of defeating New England.

I'll have to disagree with you on the Colts. They're beat up (and have several key players on IR) on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, dead last in rushing offense, and Manning has played like crap the last couple of games- because his usual bulletproof pass protection uncharacteristically has turned into a sieve because of injuries.

I'll have to disagree with you on the Colts. They're beat up (and have several key players on IR) on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, dead last in rushing offense, and Manning has played like crap the last couple of games- because his usual bulletproof pass protection uncharacteristically has turned into a sieve because of injuries.

Yes. However, if things stay the same til then and the Colts beat the Jags in that game in week 15, they would then be tied for the AFC South lead. They will have split the season series and it will then go to division record. Right now the Jags lead that with a 3-1 division record compared to a 1-2 division record for the Colts. But then the Colts would have 2 more weeks in hopes that they could overtake the Jags. So despite the current poor state of the Colts I don't think you can count them out by any means. No team QBed by Peyton Manning should be counted out until you have actually stuck a stake in their heart..

Archived