THE BROWNS BOARD

You need Cowher

BendMeOver

I really think your team needs a new head coach. The absolute last coach on the planet I want to see go to the Browns is Bill Cowher. (Unfortunately, you won't bring back Butch Davis, whom I thought was the greatest coach you ever had...as the Steelers could pretty much mark the 2 Browns games off as certain victories during his reign). Your owner has had the hots for Cowher since you returned to the league, so my guess is he's willing to pay for him, maybe moreso than any other owner out there. Landing Cowher will boil the blood of many Steelers fans, especially if Cowher beat us. Cowher would bring a tough physical presence to your team, molding them in the shape of the Steelers/Ravens. The worst part of all, is, with Cowher you would be in the play-off hunt year after year. (He's not a good coach for getting to the big game, but you'll likely be in the play-offs 70% or more of the time).

The three major hurdles to acquiring Cowher are: (1) Cowher is unlikely to want to coach a division opponent of the Steelers, more out of his respect for Rooney than anything else, and (2) Carolina is bound to be open and he probably wants to stay closer to his new home (3) Holmgren is your GM.

It's my opinion that Holmgren joined your organization because he hates the Steelers (2005 Super Bowl Loss) and is trying to extract revenge. His hatred of the Steelers (possibly manifesting itself a hatred of Cowher for beating him) and his desire to coach again will probably keep your team from pursuing Cowher before another suitor can lock him up. Holmgren would provide you with a coaching upgrade over Mangini, but not as much as Cowher would.

Alternatively, Jeff Fisher may be out on the market this year as well and if you failed at acquiring Cowher, he would be a great second choice.

I think your defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan, is very good as well. I don't understand why you guys always credit Mangini for your great defense then blame Daball for the poor offense. You can't have it both ways. Either the head coach is in control of everything or he is the product of his subordinates. In my opinion, Ryan is the only real coaching talent on your team. Then again, I'm your enemy, so don't listen to me.

Oh, if you did land Cowher, that would present the media with a compelling storyline, most likely landing our games in prime time.

Mangini is gone, You cannot lose to the buffalo bills! If Gruden was the Head Coach he may have put in Seneca Wallace and we actually could have won the Game. Man-Gina doesn't make half-time adjustments! Gruden grew up a browns fan, and my inside information is that he will be the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns!

Mangini is gone, You cannot lose to the buffalo bills! If Gruden was the Head Coach he may have put in Seneca Wallace and we actually could have won the Game. Man-Gina doesn't make half-time adjustments! Gruden grew up a browns fan, and my inside information is that he will be the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns!

true, plus the Browns need a face of the franchise.. What better then chuckie!

sorry jack, chuckies back!

Bill Cowher will never coach the Browns. He'll be a highly desired Coach, he's not going to Coach a Steeler rival.

Correct- IF Cowher decides to coach again, it's going to be Carolina or nothing.

It's too bad some of the can the coach fanatics can't see past the crying need for stability here. Oh I'm sure Gruden is likely a closet Browns fan- grew up in Sandusky and went to the University of Dayton. But if you look at his overall coaching record, it's far from stellar. Two great seasons- one with the Raiders, and one with Tampa. The rest is pretty mediocre.

To our inside info guy- You know someone who knows someone who lives on Gruden's dad's street, and he said.........

Correct- IF Cowher decides to coach again, it's going to be Carolina or nothing.

It's too bad some of the can the coach fanatics can't see past the crying need for stability here. Oh I'm sure Gruden is likely a closet Browns fan- grew up in Sandusky and went to the University of Dayton. But if you look at his overall coaching record, it's far from stellar. Two great seasons- one with the Raiders, and one with Tampa. The rest is pretty mediocre.

To our inside info guy- You know someone who knows someone who lives on Gruden's dad's street, and he said.........

If Gruden is anything he's a great motivator. He's had his fair share of success and I think he'd be good for the Browns. Mangini is lifeless on the sideline. I'm not saying he's a putz but he's also not a Coach I'd be excited about. I doubt Holmgren will come out of the sky box and hit the sideline again and honestly I think that's better for the Browns. Let him do his thing behind the scenes and bring in a guy that can light a fire. Gruden is that guy. The Browns just need to hit on their first and second round picks and get good project guys. You hit on a couple guys this past draft. Every one of the Steelers rookies are seeing time outside of Butler and he's at least dressing. It's the difference right now, despite top tier talent levels at certain key positions. The AFC North is already a slug fest, it's only going to get more nasty.

Gruden would be an improvement, but I'm not sure he's a fit for the AFC North. The biggest problem with Gruden is his inability to work with sub-standard QBs. He gets a good QB in there, you'll fly high for a season or two. Cowher has a proven track record of making winning seasons with substandard QB material. He gets up on teams by 11 or more points and it's lights out. You've already got a key piece to make Cowher successful, i.e. Hillis.

Cowher will be expensive, no doubt. You'll have to offer him some insane contract offer to get him there (over 10 million/yr), but it can be done. If he wants to coach, whether or not he respects the Rooneys, you offer him enough, he'll be there.

Cowher will bring you a winner. He is the best coach on the market.

Note: Gruden's never been very good at beating the Steelers, so if that's who you want, I'm all for it.

Gruden would be an improvement, but I'm not sure he's a fit for the AFC North. The biggest problem with Gruden is his inability to work with sub-standard QBs. He gets a good QB in there, you'll fly high for a season or two. Cowher has a proven track record of making winning seasons with substandard QB material. He gets up on teams by 11 or more points and it's lights out. You've already got a key piece to make Cowher successful, i.e. Hillis.

Cowher will be expensive, no doubt. You'll have to offer him some insane contract offer to get him there (over 10 million/yr), but it can be done. If he wants to coach, whether or not he respects the Rooneys, you offer him enough, he'll be there.

Cowher will bring you a winner. He is the best coach on the market.

Note: Gruden's never been very good at beating the Steelers, so if that's who you want, I'm all for it.

Cowher will not coach the Browns or any other team in the AFC North. Period. You could offer the man the sun and the moon and he's not going to Coach a Steeler rival. He'd stay with his analyst gig if that's the case. Carolina is his most likely landing spot.

Archived