THE BROWNS BOARD

Our first 3 picks minus Hardesty

cddbrowns

Wow, this speaks VOLUMES about Heckert's draft skill (with a little help from Holmgren too)

Draft Re-Do

Imagine if Hardesty had played and contributed. Then again... we might not have known about Hillis. Now they can be a tandem next year, or at least Hardesty can take some heat off him.

It's interesting about McCoy, because the numbers are good but not insane... so it's about the eyeball test. Didn't look like the game was too big for him, very few offsides or delay of game penalties, turnovers were kept to a minimum, he was consistently accurate, and he basically looked like he knew what he was doing. While he wasn't exactly slinging the ball downfield, he did look like he had enough arm to be a successful NFL starter.

He just looked like he belonged, and that's tougher to find than people think. And I think he still has some room to grow as far as arm strength, and we'll see some of that next season.

If Lauvao starts next year, as most expect him to? What a draft.

Imagine if Hardesty had played and contributed. Then again... we might not have known about Hillis. Now they can be a tandem next year, or at least Hardesty can take some heat off him.

It's interesting about McCoy, because the numbers are good but not insane... so it's about the eyeball test. Didn't look like the game was too big for him, very few offsides or delay of game penalties, turnovers were kept to a minimum, he was consistently accurate, and he basically looked like he knew what he was doing. While he wasn't exactly slinging the ball downfield, he did look like he had enough arm to be a successful NFL starter.

He just looked like he belonged, and that's tougher to find than people think. And I think he still has some room to grow as far as arm strength, and we'll see some of that next season.

If Lauvao starts next year, as most expect him to? What a draft.

IMO, the first time Colt throws a 35+ yard bomb outside the hash marks and over the top of the receiver, he'll have sealed the deal. Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to wait a while before we see a #1 WR that can burn the defender like that. His downfield accuracy has been great except when he's been asked to throw over the top. I remember a throw to Benjamin Watson against the Pats that was way overthrown. On the underneath passes, even at greater distances, are on the money just about every time.

I think he's got the tools to keep defenses guessing for a long time in the league, but that throw to the deep out route from the pocket with the lineman in front of you is the one part of his arsenal he needs to develop.

You can tell all these people were doing when comparing McCourty to Haden was stats. Haden only has 4 starts, maybe 3? I'm too lazy to look it up. McCourty has started every game and they have very comparable numbers. Also, Haden has only been a CB for 3 going on to 4 years and has much more room to grow as a CB then McCourty IMHO.

I agree with shepwrite on the idea of Colt McCoy as well. I really wanna see what Luavau can do as a starter with a real RT and not John St. Claire.

I am interested in seeing Carlton Mitchell. He has the size and speed to be a solid WR, but was a project coming out. I think we will see some more of him next year, albeit at a 4 or 5 WR (I am assuming we grab a WR1 in this draft).

IMO, the first time Colt throws a 35+ yard bomb outside the hash marks and over the top of the receiver, he'll have sealed the deal. Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to wait a while before we see a #1 WR that can burn the defender like that. His downfield accuracy has been great except when he's been asked to throw over the top. I remember a throw to Benjamin Watson against the Pats that was way overthrown. On the underneath passes, even at greater distances, are on the money just about every time.

I think he's got the tools to keep defenses guessing for a long time in the league, but that throw to the deep out route from the pocket with the lineman in front of you is the one part of his arsenal he needs to develop.

Usually over the top is something almost any quarterback can do... it's zinging stuff on the outs or between the levels 20-30 yards downfield, in a tight space, that's trouble. That throw he completed to Moore against Revis was a thing of beauty, for instance. Could only be in one place.

Although I get your point: Quinn led everything out of bounds downfield over-the-shoulder. I'll watch for it.

Same thing was said about Ward but so far he has been injury free.

Yep, I love the "(INSERT NAME) WILL BE A BUST AND NEVER PLAY A DOWN OF FOOTBALL" fans. I hope Hardesty comes back and DESTROYS the AFC North next year, just so these guys eat their words.

Usually over the top is something almost any quarterback can do... it's zinging stuff on the outs or between the levels 20-30 yards downfield, in a tight space, that's trouble. That throw he completed to Moore against Revis was a thing of beauty, for instance. Could only be in one place.

Although I get your point: Quinn led everything out of bounds downfield over-the-shoulder. I'll watch for it.

Yeah, it's not just over the top that's tough, it's over the top and outside the hash marks.

It is truly a good sign to see in hindsight that some we got 3 potential true first rounders with our picks. I know it's just some analyst, but this year's draft was very good and if Heckert can keep this up, we'll have a winning team very soon. I'm banking on a winning record next season.

If IFs and buts were candies and nuts.

Hardesty was drafted and they gave up good picks to move

up to get him. While everyone, even casual fans, knew he

would be hurt all the time. That won't change next year either.

If know nothing, big-mouthed Steeler fans were money, everyone on this board could retire early....

Yeah, it's not just over the top that's tough, it's over the top and outside the hash marks.

Gotcha. He's dropped in a couple pretty ones, including the beauty to Hillis. I really do like his accuracy. If he has even a decent arm, that's the most important thing. And I think his arm is WAY better now than even at his workout nine months ago.

I know about arm speed and all that, but I think the kid just needed to get bigger and stronger. He had a lot of room to grow, in the simplest sense of the word. His release also looks quicker to me. Frankly, he just looks better throwing a football. I don't know who gets the credit, but I know Holmgren said they were doing a lot of "teaching" with him.

I think my favorite thing about him is that he can throw accurately without being set, either on the run or still dropping back. That's an NFL reality, that not every pass play offers optimum circumstances. Steve Young talks about it all the time and Theismann discussed it last night.

Gotcha. He's dropped in a couple pretty ones, including the beauty to Hillis. I really do like his accuracy. If he has even a decent arm, that's the most important thing. And I think his arm is WAY better now than even at his workout nine months ago.

I know about arm speed and all that, but I think the kid just needed to get bigger and stronger. He had a lot of room to grow, in the simplest sense of the word. His release also looks quicker to me. Frankly, he just looks better throwing a football. I don't know who gets the credit, but I know Holmgren said they were doing a lot of "teaching" with him.

I think my favorite thing about him is that he can throw accurately without being set, either on the run or still dropping back. That's an NFL reality, that not every pass play offers optimum circumstances. Steve Young talks about it all the time and Theismann discussed it last night.

He's the same size he was at Texas. He is throwing it further, though. His release looks the same to me. Yeah, I agree about the accuracy while not being set.

One thing I disagree with is I don't see the kid getting bigger. He's about maxed his frame. This isn't a Tom Brady situation; the guy could bench a legit 300 at Texas. He exploded from 180 lbs after his freshman year to 210 starting his junior year.

But I don't think he needs more bulk; probably just needs to work out the right muscles and continue to tweak his mechanics for max "torque."

Arm strength will not be the difference maker for him.

My roommate is a distributor of a really good weight lifting supplement called Advocare (I can't afford it and he is a distributor so he can afford it) and it is one of the top brands of supplements out on the market. Since my roommate is a distributor he gets newsletters telling him of professional athletes who have recently become sponsors and users of Advocare and the one he got a few months ago said that Colt McCoy in a new sponsor/user. This is stuff that most college kids, even the ones who are athletes, can not afford and he just started using them a few months after getting signed by the Browns. What I am getting form this is next year we could be seeing this kid throwing 45 yard accurate passes instead of just 35 yard accurate passes.

Archived