THE BROWNS BOARD

Whats is the "foundation" everyone on here is speaking of?

bodybuilder32

What is the "foundation" that everybody seems to speak of? I don't understand.

The only stability we see on Sundays is Peyton Hillis running his ass off (and fumbling).

I love Hillis. But he probably only has 5 years left in this league to be effective. And...that's if if he doesn't get hurt, which is extremely likely given his running style.

Is the new "foundation" Colt McCoy? Why are we worshiping Colt McCoy?????? He looks solid, poised, and has promise...but give be me a frickin break already. He has started 4 games. Remember hoiw good Tony Romo looked when he first started playing with the Dallas Cowboys? All the hype....how many playoff games has Romo won?

I am satisfied with the draft pick but how many years does Colt get a free pass from the fans just because he is better than the worst qb in the league (jake Delhomme) and one of the worst (Derek Anderson). Does anybody here trust that he will develop under the brilliant tutiliage of Mangini???? You guys would choose Mangini to coach up Colt over the notorious qb developer we would have in mike Holgren?

Ward and Hayden are proming. That's a positive. What about the rest of the defense? I've been happy with their play this year and all the credit in the world should go to Ryan. We have 0 pro-bowl defensive players. How many do the steelers and ravens have?

Everyone is worried about firing Mangini because it would re-start the process of building the team from the ground up. That's a fair concern...But...how much further along in the process are we?

Our offense has been HORRENDOUS the past two years. The only thing that has been good is Peyton Hillis. And, we got extremely lucky to get him in a trade and for him to perform this well. Imagine if he got injured. We would not score more than a field goal per game.

Our offense is at the expansion level. It wouldn't hurt at all for a new coach to come in with a new scheme because the one we are using obviously sucks and will NOT get better next year just becasue we get a high receiver draft pick.

We need coaches that can develop offensive schemes to give us a chance to win. Good schemes make bad players look like good players. (ex: marc bulger) good players in bad schemes do nothing (ex: Randy Moss)

Rob Ryan is a great example of my point. Because he is a good coach he has made a mediocre defense play very well on Sundays.

Posters here need to realize that when you keep making excuses for lack of talent every single year something has to give. Browns have had horrible head coaches and horrible high level management. It all starts at the top. That is what's led to the stagnant below-mediocrity level of play we have seen for the last decade.

The only stability we see on Sundays is Peyton Hillis running his ass off (and fumbling).

I love Hillis. But he probably only has 5 years left in this league to be effective. And...that's if if he doesn't get hurt, which is extremely likely given his running style.

Is the new "foundation" Colt McCoy? Why are we worshiping Colt McCoy?????? He looks solid, poised, and has promise...but give be me a frickin break already. He has started 4 games. Remember hoiw good Tony Romo looked when he first started playing with the Dallas Cowboys? All the hype....how many playoff games has Romo won?

I am satisfied with the draft pick but how many years does Colt get a free pass from the fans just because he is better than the worst qb in the league (jake Delhomme) and one of the worst (Derek Anderson). Does anybody here trust that he will develop under the brilliant tutiliage of Mangini???? You guys would choose Mangini to coach up Colt over the notorious qb developer we would have in mike Holgren?

Ward and Hayden are proming. That's a positive. What about the rest of the defense? I've been happy with their play this year and all the credit in the world should go to Ryan. We have 0 pro-bowl defensive players. How many do the steelers and ravens have?

Everyone is worried about firing Mangini because it would re-start the process of building the team from the ground up. That's a fair concern...But...how much further along in the process are we?

Our offense has been HORRENDOUS the past two years. The only thing that has been good is Peyton Hillis. And, we got extremely lucky to get him in a trade and for him to perform this well. Imagine if he got injured. We would not score more than a field goal per game.

Our offense is at the expansion level. It wouldn't hurt at all for a new coach to come in with a new scheme because the one we are using obviously sucks and will NOT get better next year just becasue we get a high receiver draft pick.

We need coaches that can develop offensive schemes to give us a chance to win. Good schemes make bad players look like good players. (ex: marc bulger) good players in bad schemes do nothing (ex: Randy Moss)

Rob Ryan is a great example of my point. Because he is a good coach he has made a mediocre defense play very well on Sundays.

Posters here need to realize that when you keep making excuses for lack of talent every single year something has to give. Browns ahve had horrible coaches and horrible management. That has what's led to the stagnant below-mediocrity level of play we have seen for the last decade.

Let alone the 2 draft picks that also helped the D. Let alone the FA's that were brought in that also helped the D.

And the O is MUCH better with Colt in......whats that say? That the starting QB give you the best chance to win and you just hope to pull out a win if the backup is in?

I love this quote from my favorite soon to be browns coach..

"It's unbelievable. I don't get it. I just don't. I know they've made multiple trades, traded down to accumulate some picks. I just don't see anybody really exploding on the scene yet."

I am not trying to be mean or be a jerk here, but why do you act like such an asshole? We all know that you have a definite "thing" for Gruden, but we are doing just fine right now with Mangini.

I'm pretty bullish on the Browns future, and I'll tell you why: A lot of football people will tell you that the cornerstones of a long-term winning program are quarterback, left tackle, #1 WR, running back, cover corner, and pass rusher.

For the first time in a while, I see those pieces coming together: McCoy, Thomas, our first round draft pick, Hillis, Haden, and Benard. Yeah, I listed Benard because he's likely to finish this year with 10-ish sacks and that's really quick development. I think he can go to the next level in 2011.

I see a nice foundation on both sides of the ball. On offense, there's McCoy, Thomas, Mack, Hillis and hopefully Hardesty, Vickers, and Watson/Moore. We have an obvious hole at WR and that's going to be addressed. We have a developing RG talent in Lauvao.

On defense, there's Rubin, Gocong, Benard, Haden, and Ward... all 27 or younger. We have veterans filling in around them like Brown, Elam, and Fujita who are solid, capable NFL starters, and we'll add a couple pieces, probably at DE and linebacker.

The point is that McCoy flipped the script by not looking even remotely overwhelmed against the best defenses in the NFL. If you have a quarterback, a left tackle, a center, and a FB/RB set... you have a great start. You're just filling in. It's all within reasonable reach, personnel wise. We're not filling a million holes. Hell, even at linebacker, obviously Gocong, Fujita, and Benard are going to play. On the DL, we have veterans like Rogers, Smith, and Coleman, so we don't have to overhaul... just add a piece.

I can honestly say I feel like we're one draft and a couple shrewd free agent signings from being a very complete team.

Really?

Do you see us competing in every game this year ? Do you see a below average defense achieving slightly above average results ? We didnt even have that last year.

The new foundation could be McCoy. But we wont know unless he plays more than 4 games. And we are not worshiping McCoy but we are rather surprised that he turned out to be this good. The hype surrounding Romo may be a lot but that still does not invalidate the fact that he is a decent gunslinger.

How many years does Colt get a pass ? First off, how many years has he been playing ? hoe many years has he gotten a pass ? He has played games and has got no pass. It is not like we have a QB better than Colt in the team and are benching that guy for Colt. So what is the issue here ?

How many coaching changes did the Steelers and Ravens have ?

We need a new OC. I think the whole NFL sees that except someone.

Posters here need to realize that when you keep making excuses for lack of talent every single year something has to give. Browns have had horrible head coaches and horrible high level management. It all starts at the top. That is what's led to the stagnant below-mediocrity level of play we have seen for the last decade.

As long as we replace the coaches and management with better coaches and better management, it is fine. But it is not easy to find them.

I am not trying to be mean or be a jerk here, but why do you act like such an asshole? We all know that you have a definite "thing" for Gruden, but we are doing just fine right now with Mangini.

Why am I being a ahole just cause I think mangini is a at best average coach?

Listen, just because you have you strong feelings towards mangini and I have mine doesner't make either aholes

A part of me wants the mangini mions to get another year just so they could see what will happen, thankfully for me that won't happen...

You want to win? Put gruden in!

Why are you putting the offensive problems on a head coach who's experience is in defense. When Mangini was running the GM side of things he brought in a guy that he knew to run the offense. It is obvious that Daboll doesn't know what he's doing and it is very likely that he will be replaced by a WCO kind of guy. I just don't understand how you place all the success of the defense on Ryan but you place all the blame of the offense on Mangini.

Also learn how to spell the names of coaches and players. It's Holmgren and Haden, not Holgren and Hayden.

He is a dip shit. Just do what I did and ignore him so you don't have to see his pointless troll posts.

I don't think so much of Gruden . He just is not my type of coach . Nor is Dabol my kind of OC. I hope we keep Mangini , and send Dabol down the road . Let Holmgren decide the OC and let Mangini worry about the D withRyan , and run the rest .I can't take much more of this brand of offense .

Why are you putting the offensive problems on a head coach who's experience is in defense. When Mangini was running the GM side of things he brought in a guy that he knew to run the offense. It is obvious that Daboll doesn't know what he's doing and it is very likely that he will be replaced by a WCO kind of guy. I just don't understand how you place all the success of the defense on Ryan but you place all the blame of the offense on Mangini.

Also learn how to spell the names of coaches and players. It's Holmgren and Haden, not Holgren and Hayden.

He is a dip shit. Just do what I did and ignore him so you don't have to see his pointless troll posts.

If he's here who's running hell? Its so weird that people get mad about other people not thinking mangini is the rght guy for the job! Its like you actually know him personally!

If he's here who's running hell? Its so weird that people get mad about other people not thinking mangini is the rght guy for the job! Its like you actually know him personally!

i like mangini, but it's not necessarily the dissent that bothers me, it's the culture of dissent and total lack of patience that has gone viral in the browns fanbase in the last 10 years: the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team, the coach needs to be changed constantly, etc.

for years, these were all legitimate concerns: our coaches have sucked for the most part and our QBs and "playmakers" have been the same or worse as the coaches. now that things are actually on the upswing, people can't recognize it because of years of futility and the culture that said futiltity bred. W-L record aside, comparing stat sheets between 2009 and 2010 will display and night & day contrast. aside from some of daboll's playcalling, i have really enjoyed watching the browns compete this year. knowing that we are going to be competitive week in and week out has given cause for optimism.

the funny thing about the mangini hatred is that it is cyclical. if the browns blowout the pats, mangini is a hero. if the browns lose a close game, it signals a need for a coaching change. my concern is that mangini-haters aren't using the intelligence that they are endowed with to look at the information before them and realize that the team is on the upswing. but most people aren't intelligent and think that their knee-jerk reactions and anecdotal evidence demonstrates a need for a coaching change. more wrong, they could not be.

No its because every one of your posts have to do with quoting Gruden and kissing his ass.. It wouldn't be a problem if you actually stated your opinion with facts.

No one who favors Mangini kisses his ass the way you do with Gruden. It is sad if you can't see the difference. I don't love Mangini, but I am happy with the improvement I have seen and want to see what he can do with another draft. The players always have good things to say about Mangini and play hard for him every week. Get rid of Daboll and we should be fine..

But we can talk about this all we want, the bottom line is that Mike Holmgren is the only guy who knows what changes will be made for next year. I don't believe any ESPN analyst has any better idea of what will happen than I do. Holmgren isn't stupid. He will keep his thoughts to himself..

The NFL is builit to bring a team up, and then have them decline. (example in recent years Cards, Bears,)

Based on being competative this year, if all goes according to plan, we should be better next year.

However, a good organization maintains a general level of success, and on occation goes deep in the playoffs and/or Super Bowl. (Pats, Eagles, Chargers, Pitt, Indy) They do this by having a system of drafting, and a strong held belief in what works. They know what they want, and they get the players/coaches to do it. One leaves, and another comes in.

We may have a good year next year, but I'm not sold on being a quality organization until we put together a string of winning season, a championship or two and can define ourselves as a "type" of football.

No its because every one of your posts have to do with quoting Gruden and kissing his ass.. It wouldn't be a problem if you actually stated your opinion with facts.

No one who favors Mangini kisses his ass the way you do with Gruden. It is sad if you can't see the difference. I don't love Mangini, but I am happy with the improvement I have seen and want to see what he can do with another draft. The players always have good things to say about Mangini and play hard for him every week. Get rid of Daboll and we should be fine..

But we can talk about this all we want, the bottom line is that Mike Holmgren is the only guy who knows what changes will be made for next year. I don't believe any ESPN analyst has any better idea of what will happen than I do. Holmgren isn't stupid. He will keep his thoughts to himself..

Bringback, there is a difference between your post and a lot of mangini lovers

Yes I feel strongly that mangini, isn't the guy... yes I do loveeeee gruden, I have my reasons.

If you really read my posts they are mostly in fun.. I do state facts in between my cracks.

I just don't get the personal attacks, its funny pizzadelivery guy and hillisisboss block me, yet they still have to mention it in almost every post..

I get it, everone else on the message board also knows...

I don't hate Mangini and it wouldn't bother me to keep him if he kinda-sorta lets Holmgren/Haskell fix the offense with a new OC and the WCO Holmgren obviously believes in... but I do struggle to figure how anybody would be very passionate about him. He really hasn't done anything in his head coaching career and he's not the most likable guy.

I just don't get the personal attacks

in case it isn't obvious, its because you won't shutup about gruden and it gets annoying. we already all know you love him, and you've made your case that we should hire him. yet every time theres a thread, you have to restate your case and people are getting frustrated hearing that crap every single time you open your mouth.

basically a broken record player, which are always annoying no matter what noise they make.

Its crazy... there was a post a couple of weeks ago saying that people on here thought mangini should be coach of the year..

There is a reason he is on the hot seat... I would be willing to give him another year if this wasnt his 2nd coaching job. He got fired in new york for a reason and it wasn't the new york media.

I personally think his fate has probably been sealed. I don't think holmgren wants another year of frustration.

Gruden or bust!

"What has mangini ever done to convince anyone he could be a head coach in the first place? Why, because he was a defensive coordinator for the Patriots under Belichick for one season? We tried that with Romeo Crennel, who was ALSO defensive coordinator under Belichick. here’s a good hint: BILL BELICHICK IS HIS OWN DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR."

sp-gruden2.jpg

I don't hate Mangini and it wouldn't bother me to keep him if he kinda-sorta lets Holmgren/Haskell fix the offense with a new OC and the WCO Holmgren obviously believes in... but I do struggle to figure how anybody would be very passionate about him. He really hasn't done anything in his head coaching career and he's not the most likable guy.

Shep,

Let me try to answer this. First off, understand that I respect you as a poster on this board. If nothing else, you generate things that we can debate and that's the idea of a message board.

Let me speak for myself. I am not as passionate about Mangini as much as I am passionate about the Cleveland Browns. If Mr. Holmgren decides to go another direction with the head coach after this year, I will still be as passionate about the Orange and Brown.

But I am not going to stand idly by with my hat in my hand as media/internet rumblings begin to attempt to remove the first coach this 11-year old franchise has had who sticks to his guns, holds players accountable, gets his players to play disciplined, smart football, and doesn't kowtow to the local media. Firing Mangini after Year 2 of a serious rebuild, a rebuild in which he was willing to clean up the cultural mess he inherited in Year 1, would be a mistake. I don't understand how people can argue that clear progress hasn't been made especially with the little things such as penalties, player accountability, etc. A competitive 5-8 in Year 2 with ALL factors taken into consideration isn't satisfying by any stretch, but it's also not an abomination that justifies the removal of the head coach.

Your second point about how he hasn't done anything in his head coaching career is completely unfair. He never got the chance to finish the job in New York and if some have their way, the axe will prematurely fall again here in Cleveland. ALL NFL coaches who have had long-term success have had short-term struggles along the way for various reasons. Belichick, Walsh, Noll, and Parcells all had dismal records early on in their careers. But thankfully for them and their fans, those organizations weren't making decisions in today's INSTANT GRATIFICATION era. Because if Walsh went 2-14 in Year 1 and 6-10 in Year 2 (as he did in SF) today in Cleveland, he would probably be fired on The Browns Board threads. Coach Mangini deserves another year at the very least because significant, important, cultural, and tangible progress is clearly evident.

To touch on your final point about Mangini being 'not the most likable' guy, just let me say I have always been a substance over style guy. Give me a Mangini presser any day over a Rex Ryan/Jerry Glanville vaudeville act. The man is consistent in how he approaches things. When things go right or wrong, he's consistent in his approach. Coaches that wear their emotions on their sleeves don't often respond well to adversity. That's why I admire stoic guys who have been (Landry, Noll, Belichick, Walsh, Fisher) and will be (Harbaugh, Payton) successful long term in this league. You can have the loudmouth expressive hacks like Sparano, Rex, Sam Wyche, etc. Mangini expects his players to learn each day. He expects them to be accountable for their actions. He expects them to prepare and improve each and every day. But the best part is that he expects these things from himself as well and then goes out and walks the walk. Many call him unlikable, but he has the respect of the players in that locker room. It would have been very easy for him to go out there on Monday and kill Delhomme for his performance, but he didn't. Delhomme's a big boy, an 15?-year veteran who can take it, but instead Mangini deflected that criticism, unlike Rex who threw his beleaguered 22-year old 2nd-year QB under the bus this week. Privately, EM is demanding of his guys, but publicly he steps up to the plate and does what he should: he protects these guys from the criticism they face. That's why I respect the man so much, and if there's something I do get passionate about in regards to EM, it's that. Criticize the coach, but don't dare criticize the man. He's got character. Period. And for someone like Tony Grossi to use the PD as a sounding board for a personal attack against EM, sickens and angers me. It's amazing that EM has been able to dutifully answer that POS's baited questions this long without cracking.

Again, Shep, I respect your posts, but I am passionate enough about speaking out on the importance of keeping Eric Mangini because of where I see this franchise heading with him as the head coach.

I don't have a problem with him even liking Gruden. It's how he makes stupid senseless posts like nameless quotes by Gruden or some secret inside info that he's coming here, stupid shit like that. It's also one thing to do it in someones post but in the past week he has made two different topics based on this stupid bullshit.

Me saying gruden follows me on twitter or jon gruden jr texts me was out of fun.

I'm sorry if you can't look past the one liners...

Listen, at the end of the year will see what we will see. If mangini stays then end of story..

I have a strong feeling he won't, and a real strong feeling who our coach will be.

Bodogjoe,

Why don't you think he will come to cleveland?

His whole mentality over all the open coaching spots. He does not seem interested. I am not saying I wouldnt love to see him here. Being from Sandusky and growing up a Browns fan and knowing the tradition. But its just not gonna happen. If he did decide to come back to coaching at some point I dont see it being in Cleveland.

His whole mentality over all the open coaching spots. He does not seem interested. I am not saying I wouldnt love to see him here. Being from Sandusky and growing up a Browns fan and knowing the tradition. But its just not gonna happen. If he did decide to come back to coaching at some point I dont see it being in Cleveland.

I agree with you about his coaching mentality. He seems to like the attention by throwing his hat in the ring for a lot of coaching jobs..

That said, I do get the feelng he will coach again soon. You listen to jaws from mnf, and he was saying that gruden needs to be coaching and will do again..

He is from sandusky, his dad was a huge browns fan. I think even his mom kathy followed the browns. If you look at things that would bring him here, the ohio roots and holmgren.

People point to al davis getting rid of him as something negative. The truth of the matter daivis has admitted publicly that it was a mistake.

There are rumors al davis wants gruden back as head of football operations and would give him shares of the team

Archived