THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Rookie Quarterbacks - A little perspective

longhorn

Time will tell as to which franchise got the best QB in the 2010 draft. Sam Bradford has received a lot of press this year for his great rookie season with the Rams. Bradford had the best year, by far, in terms of salary, but I'd say Colt McCoy more than held his own on the field. It cost St Louis $78 million for Bradford and Cleveland $5 million for Colt. I thought it would be interesting to compare Bradford's stats to McCoy's for the year thus far and to also let you see how they both compare to some well-known Hall of Fame QB rookie season stats.

Bradford:

Games played: 15

Attempts: 554

Completions: 335

Completion%: 60.5

Pass attempts per game: 37

Total pass yards: 3,357

Avg yards per pass: 6.1

Avg yards per game: 223.8

TD passes: 18

Interceptions: 14

Times sacked: 31

QB Rating: 78

Contract length/amount: 6 years $78 million

McCoy:

Games played: 7

Attempts: 181

Completions: 115

Completion%: 63.5

Pass attempts per game: 26

Total pass yards: 1,367

Avg yards per pass: 7.6

Avg yards per game: 195.3

TD passes: 5

Interceptions: 6

Times sacked: 19

QB Rating: 81.9

Contract length/amount: 4 years $5 million

As a further matter of comparison, here are the rookie season #'s for some Hall of Fame QB's. Format is rookie season wins-losses, QB rating and touchdowns-interceptions.

Dan Marino

7-2

20-6

Johnny Unitas

3-4

9-10

John Elway

4-6

7-14

Sonny Jurgensen

2-3

5-8

Joe Namath

3-5-1

18-15

Terry Bradshaw

3-5

6-24

Jim Kelly

4-12

22-17

Bob Griese

3-7

15-18

Fran Tarkenton

2-8

18-17

Peyton Manning

3-13

26-28

Warren Moon

3-13

12-14

Steve Young

1-4

3-8

Joe Montana

0-1

0-1

Dan Fouts

0-5-1

6-13

Troy Aikman

0-11

9-18

So, enough said about Colt's performance this season. He has played as well as Bradford statistically, or even better. He is also on par with the rookie seasons of some of the NFL's best quarterbacks when looking at their rookie seasons.

Bradford had the better year, playing one of his best games in the biggest game Sunday... but McCoy is second. Bradford set the rookie record for completions, threw for what'll end up at close to 3,500 yards, had more TDs than INTs, and may very well put the Rams in the playoffs in his rookie season.

It's not just the best rookie season in 2010... it's one of the best ever.

You really can leave all those old-timers out of the discussion because the position has changed so drastically that stats simply don't cross over anymore. Plenty of HOFers had QBRs in the 80 area, and that doesn't get you an alternate slot for the Pro Bowl anymore. You have to look at Flacco, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Sanchez, Stafford, Rivers, Rodgers, and so on in their rookie years or first years as starters. And that in itself is an interesting discussion: Better to start right away or later?

McCoy showed a lot of good things. In the last game, he did what a lot of people have feared: He looked bad beyond 10 yards in cold weather.

McCoy showed a lot of good things. In the last game, he did what a lot of people have feared: He looked bad beyond 10 yards in cold weather.

I'm hoping that the weather is again bad and colt looks better this week. Otherwise I would be very undecided on whether to make QB a high priority in the draft. He made some very very nice short throws but can you place faith in him to win bad weather playoff games.

I'm hoping that the weather is again bad and colt looks better this week. Otherwise I would be very undecided on whether to make QB a high priority in the draft. He made some very very nice short throws but can you place faith in him to win bad weather playoff games.

It's actually supposed to warm up into the mid to upper 40's on Friday and Saturday, with RAIN! Sunday back into the thirties. So the field may be a bit sloppy.

Maybe he was still sick and just had an off day? After all he did miss some pratice last week due to an unknown illness so it's hard to say what the problem really is/was until next week.

Some of you need to relax though.

Let's say for example Colt started out like a few of the other greats and played like crap his rookie season only to go on and win 3 or 4 super bowls in the next 10 years.

The problem with that is he wouldn't be winning them for the Browns because of all the impatient fans who have the you better win now mentality screaming to have him benched within the first quarter of his first game as a rookie. So... they trade him away and for the next few years were stuck playing qb go round while Colt takes some other crap team to the playoff's.

As a further matter of comparison, here are the rookie season #'s for some Hall of Fame QB's. Format is rookie season wins-losses, QB rating and touchdowns-interceptions.

Dan Marino

7-2

20-6

Johnny Unitas

3-4

9-10

John Elway

4-6

7-14

Sonny Jurgensen

2-3

5-8

Joe Namath

3-5-1

18-15

Terry Bradshaw

3-5

6-24

Jim Kelly

4-12

22-17

Bob Griese

3-7

15-18

Fran Tarkenton

2-8

18-17

Peyton Manning

3-13

26-28

Warren Moon

3-13

12-14

Steve Young

1-4

3-8

Joe Montana

0-1

0-1

Dan Fouts

0-5-1

6-13

Troy Aikman

0-11

9-18

So, enough said about Colt's performance this season. He has played as well as Bradford statistically, or even better. He is also on par with the rookie seasons of some of the NFL's best quarterbacks when looking at their rookie seasons.

too bad you don't use the same logic for head coaches. oh but that's right.....you just hate mangini.

Colt proved once again that noodle-armed QB's are popular in Cleveland. The things are back to normal in the Land of Cleve, 4-5 wins a season and talk about how great new mobile QB looked in the latest loss to ...whoever. Charlie, Ken, Brady, Seneca,...Colt. Who cares! They all suck. Next year it will be Jimmy "the sausage" Clausen.

Send Cribbs, Hillis, anyone that's worth anything to Carolina and get Luck.

Colt proved once again that noodle-armed QB's are popular in Cleveland. The things are back to normal in the Land of Cleve, 4-5 wins a season and talk about how great new mobile QB looked in the latest loss to ...whoever. Charlie, Ken, Brady, Seneca,...Colt. Who cares! They all suck. Next year it will be Jimmy "the sausage" Clausen.

Send Cribbs, Hillis, anyone that's worth anything to Carolina and get Luck.

Joe Montana and Steve Young were noodle armed QB's...Hows DA doing by the way?

Joe Montana and Steve Young were noodle armed QB's...Hows DA doing by the way?

DA? He sucks. Apparently, he's blind or has Down syndrome or something. I heard AZ's new QB is a skeleton, so I'm not sure that's an upgrade over DA...

Luck on the other hand is a lot like Bradford, and Browns could try mimicking the Rams....Good RB Jackson --> Hillis. Get a head coach that runs similar scheme and may be go 8-8 next year? heck even 7-9 would be huge success.

too bad you don't use the same logic for head coaches. oh but that's right.....you just hate mangini.

Well maybe, since you love Mangini so much, you'll get lucky and he won't be fired and you can enjoy more losing seasons with him.....hell he might even let you saddle him up and the two of you can ride off in the sunset together.

saddle him up and the two of you can ride off in the sunset together.

hmmm. coming from someone from texas. seems like something you would know about.

btw don't love mangini. just believe in letting a plan take hold. did we put a man on the moon in two years. rome was built in a day. get it?

hmmm. coming from someone from texas. seems like something you would know about.

btw don't love mangini. just believe in letting a plan take hold. did we put a man on the moon in two years. rome was built in a day. get it?

I have no idea what Texas has to do with your comment, but most scholars believe it took approx. 630 years to build Rome and it took 6-10 years, depending on how you look at it, to get a man on the moon. If Mangini stays I hope it's closer to landing on the moon than Rome. Whose plan are we talking? Mangini's or Holmgren's or do you really think they are on the same page/plan?

If they are on the same plan, your wish will come true and he will be here next year. If/when he ever gets the Browns into the playoff's I would be the first to say I was wrong, but I honestly don't see that happening.

I have no idea what Texas has to do with your comment, but most scholars believe it took approx. 630 years to build Rome and it took 6-10 years, depending on how you look at it, to get a man on the moon. If Mangini stays I hope it's closer to landing on the moon than Rome. Whose plan are we talking? Mangini's or Holmgren's or do you really think they are on the same page/plan?

If they are on the same plan, your wish will come true and he will be here next year. If/when he ever gets the Browns into the playoff's I would be the first to say I was wrong, but I honestly don't see that happening.

i'm just happy that the browns are finally showing signs of improvement and IMO at least part of that has to do with mangini. if we don't show a marked improvement next year from this year and don't at least sniff the playoffs, then shit can him. but hey you guys may be right. holmgren might want HIS guys here and break everything down once again. if that happens i'll lose all respect for the guy. that's just my opinion.

If only my stalker pikeyM was the Browns President, only then would we be good. Who cares about Mike Holmgren and his years involved in actual football not web forum posting?

You thought DA was God, your judgment is not worth sh!t.

Hey dumbass, why r u following me around? Am I stalking you? Get a life Retard.

Shep, not so much bad passes but bad decisions- one into double coverage that had no chance. Yeah, he had a couple balls sail on him, and underthrew Massaquoi. But MoMass the creampuff could have done a lot better job in turning into a defender on that play, instead of just letting the guy catch the ball.

Shep, not so much bad passes but bad decisions- one into double coverage that had no chance. Yeah, he had a couple balls sail on him, and underthrew Massaquoi. But MoMass the creampuff could have done a lot better job in turning into a defender on that play, instead of just letting the guy catch the ball.

Kosar said the wind clearly affected McCoy and held up his passes. Interesting that Bernie didn't have a gun but managed to make it work... hope he has some tips for Colt, who he thinks very highly of.

Kosar said the wind clearly affected McCoy and held up his passes. Interesting that Bernie didn't have a gun but managed to make it work... hope he has some tips for Colt, who he thinks very highly of.

He thinks highly of him? I remember hearing an interview with him after the Steelers game and he didn't seem super high on the kid. Maybe he won Bernie over.

Archived