THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agents 2011

shepwrite

I hate to say this but we need to pull a Rex Ryan and bring in all the top name talent we can afford.

The Jets aren't much better than they were last year, even with all the FA.. Plus it never worked too well for the skins.. Build thru the draft and add a final piece of the puzzle or two thru FA..

I would love to sign a free-agent RB like Ronnie Brown to complement Peyton Hillis. As we all know, we mix in some trick plays with Cribbs taking the direct snaps, and Brown will contribute to that as he has in Miami.

Two FA receivers that I wouldn't mind signing are Miles Austin and Davone Bess. Bess is not a big name receiver, but he is the league leader in 3rd down receptions resulting in 1st downs, a key stat. We have all seen Miles Austin. Austin displays speed and great hands.

The need for receivers and more offensive threats is clear, but IMO, we need a couple of dynamic defensive players. One defensive tackle that I'd like to sign is Pat Williams. He is an experienced DT and an excellent run-stopper. It would also be nice to sign a good DB like Quintin Mikell or Jonathan Joseph to complement Joe Haden and our young set of DBs.

brownandorange, nice list. If we could somehow manage to get half of that we would be well set up for the draft. Even getting one of those receivers would help a lot but williams would also be a starter from day one. This front office normally goes after the 2nd tier players who are more affordable but the weaknesses at those two positions is very obvious.

brownandorange, nice list. If we could somehow manage to get half of that we would be well set up for the draft. Even getting one of those receivers would help a lot but williams would also be a starter from day one. This front office normally goes after the 2nd tier players who are more affordable but the weaknesses at those two positions is very obvious.

Yeah, I definitely understand what you're saying about the 2nd tier players, but in this league, you've got to spend some money if you want to be successful. We have possibly the most mediocre receiving core in the entire league, and one good signing in free agency and one good draft pick could turn that around, but it won't be cheap. I'm not saying we go out and sign Randy Moss (He is a free agent), but sign a guy like Davone Bess, or as Kosar suggested, Mike Sims-Walker.

Breaston is a GREAT slot guy, but not consistent enough for that #2 role, he is also a very good deep threat. I'd take Chad over any other free agent at this point due to the fact that at this point in his career, he is the perfect #2 guy, because he draws #1 coverage.

Plus, this is a VERY deep WR draft, with names like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin, Titus Young, Justin Blackmon, Ryan Broyles, Matt Szczur, Deandre Brown

If we can pick up 2 of these guys we'd be sitting pretty.... just gotta get rid of Momass

I would love to sign a free-agent RB like Ronnie Brown to complement Peyton Hillis. As we all know, we mix in some trick plays with Cribbs taking the direct snaps, and Brown will contribute to that as he has in Miami.

Two FA receivers that I wouldn't mind signing are Miles Austin and Davone Bess. Bess is not a big name receiver, but he is the league leader in 3rd down receptions resulting in 1st downs, a key stat. We have all seen Miles Austin. Austin displays speed and great hands.

The need for receivers and more offensive threats is clear, but IMO, we need a couple of dynamic defensive players. One defensive tackle that I'd like to sign is Pat Williams. He is an experienced DT and an excellent run-stopper. It would also be nice to sign a good DB like Quintin Mikell or Jonathan Joseph to complement Joe Haden and our young set of DBs.

I like austin a lot myself. But,, i suspect he will remain in Dallas for a long time.

The Jets aren't much better than they were last year, even with all the FA.. Plus it never worked too well for the skins.. Build thru the draft and add a final piece of the puzzle or two thru FA..

While I agree with building through the draft, the best way to do that is by having a solid team in all positions so that you can draft the best available and have them develop in the first year or two. So with regards to our recievers, I belive we need FA here in addition to the draft. A solid FA (or two) with a high drafdt choice and Mass + Rob gives us a decent group to work with.

I am almost postive Bess signed an extension during the season. I agree though that he would be a score on our team. He is a very good young WR.

Archived