THE BROWNS BOARD

i really hope that this isn't true

MudratDetector

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...l_dawson_o.html

this is heartbreaking news if this is the case. the last of the 99ers. we will miss you phil.

i used to hate the guy because he couldn't reach the 20 in his kickoffs. Over the years his leg has gotten stronger. He's always been accurate and he now hits the long FG's. It seems like a foolish and risky move to not retain this guy.

With this team lacking playmakers and struggling to score points, it would be a shame to see Phil Dawson leave. He is the only consistantly reliable scorer we've have in Cleveland not named Lebron James in any sport in a long time.

Phil, if you do indeed go, we fans will miss you. Good luck wherever you end up...unless you sign with the Steelers or Ravens. Good luck anywhere else!

Yeah....he missed a couple key field goals, something none of the other kickers in this league ever do....

Get the bum outta here....0.831 career percentage? That's it? All time leading scorer for the browns kicking on the lake? In the snow? Time for a rookie or maybe Nick folk or john kasay.....

On one hand, this really stinks. I hate it when teams let productive veteran players go. On the other hand, Phil is getting older. If we really are in a rebuilding mode, this does make since to go, younger and stronger. I will miss you Phil. The Browns will miss you. Keep the wind at your back and the pigskin between the pipes.

When you have a good kicker, you keep him, plain & simple. I don't care how old he is. I don't know if he'll be like Jan Stenerud or Morten Anderson, kicking into his 40s, but sign the guy for a 3 year contract, see how it goes.

He's hit some memorable FGs....vs Pittsburgh at 3 Rivers in 1999, the unreal 48 yd one vs Buffalo in the snow in 2007 for instance. I hope it's not the end of Dawson.

There is a real good chance this is phil's last game as a brown and its unfortunate if we let him walk because 3 points is better than none and dawson is dependable unlike most kickers...

Does the "process" know you can go for more than 3?

If Phil isn't resigned then I THANK him for 11 dependable years and wish him luck and hope he signs with a winner for at least a few more years he deserves it.

i have to disagree with this. the guy deserves a chance to win a championship, even with a rival team. i wish phil NOTHING but the the absolute best.

You are absolutely right!

Phil, good luck wherever you might end up. I just hope it's not with the Steelers or Ravens. But I wish you success wherever.

Think we would all like to see Dawson stay and finish his career with us, but am sure he would be expecting a good final payday to sign with us again, and maybe that money might be better pushed into a FA WR, and try to get more touchdowns rather than being forced into relying on a good placekicker to get us our points, am sure they wont go into the FA for a kicker either, as what is the point in that you will just spend the same type of money as will to bring back Dawson.

So if he doesnt come back, would expect a not so well known kicker or even a rookie for next season.

I will literally cry if he leaves. He is in my top 10 of best Browns of all time. Holmgren will make a HUGE mistake if he doesnt resign him, not just for his ability, but for what he means to Cleveland. For me, this would have the same magnitude as LeBron leaving. Except I will miss Phil forever.

I'd hate to see phil go. But he is getting older and you have to think of the positives. We are going to pick up a kicker who's young and terrible which will be excellent for us so that we are forced to go for it when it's fourth and goal on the 1 yard line. I swear, it's like we always play for field goals and not touchdowns.

When you have a good kicker, you keep him, plain & simple. I don't care how old he is. I don't know if he'll be like Jan Stenerud or Morten Anderson, kicking into his 40s, but sign the guy for a 3 year contract, see how it goes.

He's hit some memorable FGs....vs Pittsburgh at 3 Rivers in 1999, the unreal 48 yd one vs Buffalo in the snow in 2007 for instance. I hope it's not the end of Dawson.

His unbelievable kick in the 07 Buffalo game is as good as it gets. Will go down in the annals as one of the greatest. Hate to see him go.

I like him to but it seem to me he always misses on field goals of 45 yards and longer. Having a new young kicker can't be a horrible thing

To me its not about his kicking ability. He is all we have left that still figuratively says xxxx YOU to Art Modell. He is our only remaining 99er. He should always be on the team. Always.

And if he does leave, I will take bets on how long it takes before his name is on our stadium along with the other Browns greats.

To me its not about his kicking ability. He is all we have left that still figuratively says xxxx YOU to Art Modell. He is our only remaining 99er. He should always be on the team. Always.

And if he does leave, I will take bets on how long it takes before his name is on our stadium along with the other Browns greats.

If he does leave, it won't be long before he gets picked up by another team. Way up there in FG accuracy. So he'll get at least a couple more million dollar paydays either with the Browns or some other team. The lousy thing is he needs something like 20 points to pass Don Cockroft for second place in all-time team scoring. If he had played for a decent team his entire career, he'd easily be in the top 25 all time in scoring.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...eric_mangi.html

Dawson's swan song:

Kicker Phil Dawson knows he may have kicked his last field goal as a Brown, a 19-yarder in the second quarter. His house is sold and he'll be a free agent.

"Today was a unique day," said Dawson. "I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support by fans ... people that I've become friends with in the community. This has been a pretty emotional week for me and I'm just overwhelmed with how just how great people have been to me."

After the game, Dawson had his picture taken on the field with snapper Ryan Pontbriand.

"I've been with Ryan longer than any teammate in my career and we've developed a pretty special relationship," said Dawson. "So we just wanted to make sure that we got a pretty good picture."

Dawson said he'll go back home to Texas, "get in the sunshine a little bit, do a little fishing and wait to let the dust settle."

As for wanting to play for a winner, he said, "As a competitor you want to win. But in this league there's no guarantees. You can pick a place and then have a terrible season there. For me, it's really going to be what's best for my family. I've earned the right to have that choice."

He said he hasn't ruled anything out, including a return to the Browns.

Archived