THE BROWNS BOARD

MUSIC CITY BOWL

miktoxic

would like to know from you guys that are down around dixie what you thought of the tennessee vs. nc game tonite, just caught it on my tivo.

pretty good game i thought. aren't they both ACC?

anyways didn't know shit about either team but was rooting for BUTCH just because. got lucky on a couple of calls and won it in the BS college overtime system.

anyways you guys on the coast right now......ballpeen.....kosar (still thinkin about the beer bet).....what'd think?

I watched it. Loved it. My kids are are both UNC fans and we see a couple of games in chapel hill every year. Football, baseball, lax or soccer.

Tennessee is a SEC team, they started to implode a bit on defense. The Big 10 officials did a good job. There actually should have been another personal foul against the vols. The blocked pat got the crazyness started.

That was wild. Unfortunately, it is impossible for an NFL game to end in that fashion because of the run-off rule.

Okay, I'll put aside my UT student/fan homerism for a minute and say that there's no way that we should have let them march down the field with 30 seconds left to be in a position to tie the game. Plus the team went way too conservative down the stretch and Bray threw an inexcusable interception in OT to pretty much seal it.

However...

I'm almost certain that the NCAA will institute some kind of runoff rule for next year specifically because of games like this. It's an absolute joke that UNC was able to run a play with somewhere between 15-18 players on the field (12 lined up for the play, including a QB with a PK and holder lined up for a kick behind him), with several of them running off the field (in motion) at the snap and not be penalized. That matters because illegal participation (12 or more involved in the play, not just running off the field) is a 15-yarder, not a 5-yarder.

And they apparently accepted that the multiple players on the field, multiple players in motion, etc. wasn't pre-snap (like a false start) which, if I understand the rules correctly, would have meant that they started the clock on the ref's "ready to play" signal rather than on the snap of the ball, in which case the clock would have run out.

And, as Derek Dooley pointed out, by rule if a team makes substitutions, the umpire is supposed to stand over the ball and not allow it to be snapped until the defense has a chance to make subsitutions. Which obviously didn't happen, as UNC was essentially allowed to run the spike with two units on the field at the same time...

Thanks, now my blood pressure is up again.

Dennis

What's that Jimmy Johnson said about putting yourself in a position to let the refs affect the game?

Okay, I'll put aside my UT student/fan homerism for a minute and say that there's no way that we should have let them march down the field with 30 seconds left to be in a position to tie the game. Plus the team went way too conservative down the stretch and Bray threw an inexcusable interception in OT to pretty much seal it.

However...

I'm almost certain that the NCAA will institute some kind of runoff rule for next year specifically because of games like this. It's an absolute joke that UNC was able to run a play with somewhere between 15-18 players on the field (12 lined up for the play, including a QB with a PK and holder lined up for a kick behind him), with several of them running off the field (in motion) at the snap and not be penalized. That matters because illegal participation (12 or more involved in the play, not just running off the field) is a 15-yarder, not a 5-yarder.

And they apparently accepted that the multiple players on the field, multiple players in motion, etc. wasn't pre-snap (like a false start) which, if I understand the rules correctly, would have meant that they started the clock on the ref's "ready to play" signal rather than on the snap of the ball, in which case the clock would have run out.

And, as Derek Dooley pointed out, by rule if a team makes substitutions, the umpire is supposed to stand over the ball and not allow it to be snapped until the defense has a chance to make subsitutions. Which obviously didn't happen, as UNC was essentially allowed to run the spike with two units on the field at the same time...

Thanks, now my blood pressure is up again.

Dennis

What's that Jimmy Johnson said about putting yourself in a position to let the refs affect the game?

Hey man, I'm right there with ya. You may dislike me for this, but I'm a Gator. I pull for SEC teams through and through. It was BS and should not have been allowed to happen. Along with the run-off rule, there is another rule instituted in the NFL rulebook that states if a penalty occurs within the final 10 seconds of the game, the game is over. It doesn't happen much, but that's the rule.

I've got no particular hatred for any team's fans. I'm a UT fan, but I'm not a lifelong diehard fan or anything (I moved to Knoxville from Ohio for grad school); I spend a good portion of my time at any game shaking my head in wonder/disgust at the way that people in the student section treat fans of other teams. I'm also pulling for the rest of the SEC this bowl season, but things are certainly off to a bad start--I think anyone who follows the conference knows that it's been a pretty down year for the SEC, but it sucks going 0-for the first-3 (Georgia-UCF was especially embarassing). Hopefully the heavy hitters will come through (proof that it's a down year? Mississippi State counts as a heavy hitter this year).

BTW, what's up with the Weis to Florida rumors? Terrible news for everyone else in the SEC, but a great hire if you get him. But I'm still not sure why he would go back to college, which seems like it has to be a pay cut--maybe setting himself up for a second go-round as HC somewhere in college since it's almost certain he's not going to get one in the NFL?

Dennis

BTW, what's up with the Weis to Florida rumors? Terrible news for everyone else in the SEC, but a great hire if you get him. But I'm still not sure why he would go back to college, which seems like it has to be a pay cut--maybe setting himself up for a second go-round as HC somewhere in college since it's almost certain he's not going to get one in the NFL?

It's basically a done deal, just haven't agreed on the numbers yet. The Gators have announced they will be running a pro-style offense next year, NOT the spread. Thank you.

Dennis

It's a done deal....why Florida?? I think most coaches are starting to figure out a top college job is better than a pro job.

The money he will make at Fl will be plenty....and it set's him up in a year or two to land a SEC head coaching job.

Also....maybe Charlie knows his limits and knows OC is where he needs to be....so if so, you can't name mANY places better than Gainesville, Fla.

Not a lot of downside finishing your career a Gator.

Not a lot of downside finishing your career a Gator.

Ballpeen, not sure if you have heard this yet, but Will Muschamp announced that the Gators will not be running the spread next year and throughout his coaching career in Gainesville. Thank You! Our gameplan against PSU was so poor, we were honestly very lucky to win. Brandon Hicks' interception, in my eyes, was the game-changer.

Ballpeen, not sure if you have heard this yet, but Will Muschamp announced that the Gators will not be running the spread next year and throughout his coaching career in Gainesville. Thank You! Our gameplan against PSU was so poor, we were honestly very lucky to win. Brandon Hicks' interception, in my eyes, was the game-changer.

Dude....I know as much about the Gators as anyone around here....I am slick with anything we do.

Archived