THE BROWNS BOARD

Final thoughts on 2010

longhorn

Now that the season is over here's some food for thought.

1) The two wins over the Saints and Patriots were great wins, but too many people put too much stock in these two victories as some kind of big turn in the Cleveland franchise. The last four losses say a lot more about the 2010 Browns than those two victories. The Browns may have played better this year, but they did not play better to significantly increase their standing in their division or the league.

2) Mangini is not the Browns coach of the future. Ryan is not some defensive guru and Daboll is also not what the Browns need as an OC. It's time to clean house among the Cleveland coaching staff.

3) Most of this team quit 4-5 weeks ago. Watch the games over again and look at the individual effort of the players. The last 4 games, there were a lot more people going through the motion of playing than there were people playing with all their heart and effort. McCoy and Hillis called people out weeks ago and it only made the half-effort players play at quarter-effort. Just replay the last few games and watch the receivers or the defensive backs and linebackers. Watch the line play during the Saints game and then flip over to either of the last two games. People all over the field were just giving enough effort the get the season over. This is another nail in the coffin of the coaches and says loads about some of the players who gave less than they could.

4) Those of you ready to quit on McCoy should watch those around him his first 3 games and then watch a lot of those same people the last 3 games. People quit caring and trying.

5) Hillis and McCoy had no chance once people saw how Jacksonville defensed Cleveland. With the exception of lowly Buffalo and Carolina, Hillis was shut down and the one dimensional Cleveland offense was made non-dimensional by uncreative offiensive gameplans and non-responsive, for the most part, receivers. Ben Watson is an exception as he appeared to keep playing hard.

This franchise needs some new life pumped into it. New coaching staff and some serious changes in personnel are in order. Time to quit making excuses. Tampa did well with 10 rookie starters.

I have confidence in Holmgren and hope he stays around a few more years. I also hope/believe he is gonna move hard this year to make some big changes.

Very disappointing season. I was pretty stoked after the victories over New Orleans and New England, but I think they were just over looking us when they played us. I saw some piss poor playing over the past several weeks. Cribbs has not been himself all season. Our right side Oline is terrible. Our Defense can't tackle worth a shit, and our secondary still needs work. I think HC, OC, and DC are all going to be shit canned. Hopefully Holmgren can bring in some real talent and get some trades and draft picks going. I don't have much faith though. These last 12 years have been rough. I'm actually glad the season is over.

We also learnd that a kick returner is not the most important player on any team. Cribbs got too much attention last year while crying about getting paid. He could have been let go and the results would have been no different.

Very disappointing season. I was pretty stoked after the victories over New Orleans and New England, but I think they were just over looking us when they played us. I saw some piss poor playing over the past several weeks. Cribbs has not been himself all season. Our right side Oline is terrible. Our Defense can't tackle worth a shit, and our secondary still needs work. I think HC, OC, and DC are all going to be shit canned. Hopefully Holmgren can bring in some real talent and get some trades and draft picks going. I don't have much faith though. These last 12 years have been rough. I'm actually glad the season is over.

Rob Ryan will be retained but he will more than likely get a head coaching job somewhere. You just said it your self that the defense can't tackle and that is what's keeping the drives alive for opposing offenses. But in categories such as Red Zone, turnovers, and point allowed we were ammoung the best in the country so I wouldn't say that our defense is horrible.

We also learnd that a kick returner is not the most important player on any team. Cribbs got too much attention last year while crying about getting paid. He could have been let go and the results would have been no different.

Why don't we just pay everyone minimum wage that plays in the NFL? Cribbs has done outstanding all except for this year. He deserved to get payed, and getting payed wasn't the reason for him not doing well. It had more to do with having a horrible foot injury for about half the season.

Ending the season like this blows. We were 5-7 and looking somewhat decent (except first 2 games of the season really sucked).

The loss of Fujita seemed to hurt the D, but the defense was pretty pathetic in pass coverage all season. We have no speed at LB, and it's killing us. Getting some younger, faster impact LBs has to be a priority, even more so than WR in my opinion.

Lastly, it's getting real old watching our division rivals come into our house and come away with wins.

Rob Ryan will be retained but he will more than likely get a head coaching job somewhere. You just said it your self that the defense can't tackle and that is what's keeping the drives alive for opposing offenses. But in categories such as Red Zone, turnovers, and point allowed we were ammoung the best in the country so I wouldn't say that our defense is horrible.

http://www.preplaysports.com/2010/12/11/di...one-efficiency/ (dated 12/11/10 so it misses a few of our last games).

We have the same record as last year, against a stronger schedule. We beat the piss out of two superior teams and lost to teams we shouldn't have. We have a really hungry young core of guys, if you think about it, the veteran players did worse then they did. Another solid draft this year and spending some money on some top tier defensive players, we will be more solid. It just sucks they are going to have to learn nee systems next year.

Why don't we just pay everyone minimum wage that plays in the NFL? Cribbs has done outstanding all except for this year. He deserved to get payed, and getting payed wasn't the reason for him not doing well. It had more to do with having a horrible foot injury for about half the season.

Ryan will be gone. His defense has sucked. Head coaching job? LMAO. Doubt it. Time to clean house. Our Defense is horrible.

nice post, I was going to write up a similar (ish) type deal but i'll just piggy back off your thought and add my opinions here

-I couldn't agree more about the players giving up, especially watching the game today. It's one thing to see guys out there who maybe aren't that great but are playing their hearts out (which is some of our team), but IMO that's not what was happening. When players have given up, that's solely on the coaches, pure and simple. I was completely on the Mangini bandwagon, but after watching this team lay over and quit the past four games, I think he will get the boot.

-Overall, I actually think this season was a vast improvement from last year even though we're seeing the same record. why? I think last year's squad over preformed by leaps and bounds based on the talent of the roster. That's why I think anyway we as fans kind of came in with too high of expectations of where we'd finish. If you realize that the talent on last year's roster was MAYBE worth 2-3 wins (which I believe it was) with an easier schedule you have to look at this season as on objective improvement

-I also agree about the offenseive schemes and hillis getting "figured out" if you will. It became so blindly obvious how one dimensional our offense became and how pathetic our receiving core really was this year by Jacksonville that teams knew exactly what to do on defense to beat us. I'm pretty excited to see how we address that situation, because we need PLAYMAKERS on the edges. Demps from Florida would be a great draft pick IMO

-the only other thing I'd add really is that it's very clear our defensive line is extremely weak as well and needs to be addressed just as much as the WR position. At this point, depending on how the draft works out I wouldn't be upset with WR or a DE pick. I haven't done any draft homework yet but I know we might be able to grab Bowers from Clemson based on where we'll be.

Going to this off season I feel like we're a lot closer to turning the corner than I've felt we were in a long time. If we draft or obtain offensive playmakers and get legit depth through the draft, next year should be a pretty good one.

This season was a train wreck from the first game when delhome had an interception returned for more than 60 yards. This turned browns points into tb points right before the half and cost us the game.

In the first half of game 1 I thought we looked good. The offense was clicking with Delhomme until he had an interception returned

In game 2 a seneca wallace pick six was a difference in the game. Coulda been 2-0 instead we are 0-2

In game 3 we were beaten by a better team in the ravens but at least we didn't give it to them. Now we are 0-3 and should have been 2-1

In game 4 we won the turnover battle and survived a great game by palmer and TO Now we are 1-3 and could be 3-1

In game 5 we hung in against the Falcons but had three interceptions, one of them a pick six Now we are 1-4 and could be 3-2

In game 6 we hand in against the steelers but wilt late to lose what was a winnable game. Turnovers again haunt us

In game 7 we dominate new orleans. Bowens has two pick sixes and we play well in all phases. Fujita plays great against NO. The defense is really coming together at this point

In game 8 we soundly best New england. Colt plays well and we win the turnover battle again

Somewhere in this general area (probably a couple of games later) Robaire and Fujita are injured and it takes an immediate toll on the run defense.

In game 9 we lose a heartbreaker to the jets. We play a good team toe to toe and deserved no worse than a tie

In game 10 we lose another hard fought game to Jacksonville when Jones/Drew breaks a 75 yard run late in the 4th quarter. I think we got five turnovers in this game and it should have been over after three quarters but their defensive line dominated us

In game 11 we survive five turnovers and a pick six and win the game by one point

In game 12 we beat Miami in a defense battle 13-10, we again win the turnover battle

In game 13 all of us expected to beat buffalo. But, buffalo is a lot like us. They are young (with some older players) and building for the future. They lost games to very good teams that they should have beaten. We should have been prepared for a possible loss. We lose 13-6

I think we were eliminated from the playoffs before game 14. The bengals had been playing better of late and beat us in a close game. The bengals defense had only given up six points the previous week to the ravens.

In games 15 and 16 we were eliminated from the playoffs. Hillis, our best offensive player was really banged up. We are missing Robaire Smith and Fujita. We don't have anything left to play for along with being out manned. We lose our last two games to superbowl possible teams that need to win.

Until the final two weeks we were competitive in every game and usually won if we won the turnover battle but turnovers were a huge factor in deciding our record. In the last two weeks our beaten up defensive line was shown to be one starter and two backups. Our offensive line was unable to open any holes for running the football since everyone was waiting for Hillis. Our pass blocking was exposed as being less than adequate although it was questionable most of the season.

We looked like a competitive team except for the past two weeks when there was nothing to play for and the team was beaten up physically. I would have no problem with mangini getting another year with the requirement that he finish no less than .500 or maybe even one game over .500

Ryan will be gone. His defense has sucked. Head coaching job? LMAO. Doubt it. Time to clean house. Our Defense is horrible.

The only problem with our defense is our run defense. Ranks top ten in previously name areas of total points, red zone, and turnovers before this week and we were also ranks 13th is pass defense. the only real blemish on our defense is our rush which is ranked 26th. You people just don't give a shit and fail to realize that we only have 4 people who are decent against the run and two are on ir (Fujita and Smith, the two healthy guys are Rubin and Roth). We don't have the talent but of course it's the coaches fault. Makes sense. The same people who are saying Ryan sucks are the same people who were signing his praises after the Saints game and the Patriots game. There the same people turning on Colt now and always the first to call for a coaching change. They are the people who drag down this franchise.

The only problem with our defense is our run defense. Ranks top ten in previously name areas of total points, red zone, and turnovers before this week and we were also ranks 13th is pass defense. the only real blemish on our defense is our rush which is ranked 26th. You people just don't give a shit and fail to realize that we only have 4 people who are decent against the run and two are on ir (Fujita and Smith, the two healthy guys are Rubin and Roth). We don't have the talent but of course it's the coaches fault. Makes sense. The same people who are saying Ryan sucks are the same people who were signing his praises after the Saints game and the Patriots game. There the same people turning on Colt now and always the first to call for a coaching change. They are the people who drag down this franchise.

Prior to the last two games which I think were give-up games, my biggest disappointents with the defense were the lack of tackling at the end of the Jets and Jacksonville games. Had we made those tackles we likely win those two and I think the games from then on might have gone differently. If people's posts on this board "drag down this franchise" , I'm just curious what you think those missed tackles did to the franchise? Do you really think Lerner and Holmgren are reading with us right now?

Archived