THE BROWNS BOARD

End of the Year Browns Draft Rating

Harry Buffalo

Well now that the season is completely over and we are looking at who we would like to see the Cleveland Browns draft in the 2011 draft I think it would be a good idea to go over the 2010 draft and look at how everyone did this season. Just give a letter grade for each player and a letter grade for the overall draft.

Pick 1, Joe Haden CB: Only started half of the season, but during that half he did fantastic. He is currently second in the league when it comes to interceptions and who knows how many he would have ended up with if he had played the whole season. There is talk about how he isn't Revis good and how he might never be and for where he was picked he should be considered a bust, but he is as of now a fantastic corner who is and will be top five in the league.

Grade: A

Pick 2: T.J. Ward Safety: When we came out of last season we didn't have much to speak of at Safety and it was by far our worst area of need. A lot of us were perplexed when the Browns didn't draft safety in the first round and we were even more confused when Ward popped up as our pick. After the first few games it was easy to see that Heckert knew what he was doing by drafting Ward early than most people had him predicted to go (projected as a 3rd/4th round pick) and he showed us not only that his injury history is history, but that he is not afraid to step up into the play and lay a hit on someone. He still needs some more work on his coverage, but he has progressed in his coverage work since he has been with the Browns and the only real knock on him are his Robert Royal like hands. Like Haden I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy playing in a pro bowl in a few years.

Grade: B+

Pick 3, Monterio Hardesty RB: Like Ward, when the Browns traded away picks to move up and take Hardesty, we were all thinking WTF. Like Ward he had a bad injury history, and it came back to bite us. Through out training camp, Hardesty did so good that he was declared to be the #1 guy, but he eventually hurt his knee and then tore his ACL in his only pre game appearance. I personally still have hope for his return and a long career without injury due to his knee being fixed by a NFL caliber surgion, but for a guy we expected to come and take over our running game, I was left sorely disappointed.

Grade: D

Pick 4, Colt McCoy QB: Colt was a guy that alot of people wanted us to take in the second. We got lucky for him to fall to the third. Over the course of the season he was expected to sit, but due to injury he was forced into action and up until the last two games he did remarkably well. I personally think that McCoy has done enough to show us that he should be the starter and that we shouldn't draft QB until at most the later rounds, but he still has a long way to go before anyone declares him the the savior of cleveland.

Grade: B

Pick 5, Shawn Lauvou G: When you get into this point of the draft, you start hereing names called that you really just don't know unless you follow the team said person is from. This is the case with Lauvou. I had never heard of him before in my life, but from what the media said he was a strong guy and could get the job done. Many people thought that he would take the starting job away from Wommack (who is a good lineman) but ended up suffering from a high ankle sprain and missed somewhere around the first 6ish weeks of the season. When he was eventually put in, he didn't due to well, but you can't expect every rookie to get the job done right away, exspeccially after being sidelined by an injury for their first 6 weeks. I hope he turns out to be a good guard, but only time will tell.

Grade: C-

Pick 6, Larry Asanta Safety: After he was drafted, I think alot of us expected Larry to challenge Ward for a spot, or at least take the job from Elam (Boy Elam sure did improve this year didn't he! Not sarcasm either!) At the start of training camp all I heard about Asante were good thins and then all of a sudden I stopped hearing anything about him. Then after the preseason he is cut and signed to the practice squad. Then let go. I guess when you get around the 5th round of the draft your either picking for a solid back up, or a gamble player who will either shine or get thrown to the curb. Asante was the later

Grade: A for effort, F for result.

Pick 6: Carlton Mitchel WR: I know that alot of people were really excited about picking this guy up. He has all the tools to be a good WR some day in the NFL, but we all know that it is going to take some time to develop those skills. Alot of people wanted to see him rushed in their with Colt, but it's just not the way it worked out. You can count this guys stats on your hands, but I'm not ready to give up on this kid yet. Who knows how much he can grow with another training camp and full season under his belt.

Grade: C-

Pick 7, Geathers DE: This guys measurements are ridiculous. More than likely why we decided to draft him. Ended up not making a splash and not making the team. The last I saw of him he was either on the Cowboys practice squad or on their active roster, but I checked about 4 weeks ago so that could have changed at this point.

Grade: F

Final Word: Overall I think that this draft went really well for us. From the grades I gave everyone, you would think that I would give the overall grade a low number, but quite the oppisate. We picked up two good starters with the first two picks, a possible feature back once he is healthy, and our future starting QB depending on how next year goes. Hell if they can develope we might how a qualty gaurd and WR too but all in all if you get 3 good players out of a draft you can consider it a success and the Browns accomplished that.

Final Grade: A

Clifton Geathers was a big dumb bastard. I know, I blocked him, for all 60 minutes.

He's only gotten where he's at because of his size. He didn't, and still doesn't, have any type of extraordinary skill, determination or knowledge.

And he keeps punching people in the face at bars, I'm glad he's gone.

Love this assessment. I would put N/A where Hardesty is because that grade could change once he gets playing time. We just don't know yet.

I was thinking about doing that, but at the same time we wanted to use the pick for a feature back this year and thats not what we got out of the deal. I hope he can turn into that so we have a good 1,2 punch with him and Hillis, but as of right now I would have to give that pick a D. Hopefully next year I can change it to a B or an A.

Yeah thanks for the post we did really well in this years draft and i only hope we can continue next year the same way, i wasnt so thrilled about the Hardesty pick and now feel even more skeptical if he'll ever get his legs back to were they once were. Its a hard thing to come back from i would have to say overall we have had the best draft this year other than the Patriots or Maybe the Lions who Suh and Best who look good and the Pats with Mccourty Spikes and both there rookie TEs i think they probaly deserve that Title but we are defentily top 5 another draft class like this one and can you say PLAYOFFS!!!

Archived