THE BROWNS BOARD

College Coaching candiate -vs- experienced NFL Coach

ATENEARS

Do you think that John Gruden has gotten too much mugshot time on ESPN to want to roll up his shirt sleeves and stick his nose to the grindstone here in Cleveland? I'm having a hard time believing so, and with that, I'm not sure I believe he won't continue to try to be a media whore and it will detract from him putting in the time needed within this organization.

This ain't the hour in Browns town for a guy looking to steal the show, it's time for a hard nose young character who is hungry to make a name for himself and become a staple in this league. A guy like Harbaugh, who is trying to break-in and establish an NFL coaching legacy, not maintain one in the public eye.

I used to hate the thought of a college coach coming in, but with Holmgren here and Holmgren swaying respected coordinators into the mix, I think a young innovated coach is the right recipe.

Yeah i would love to get Harabaugh but Holmgrem is gonna have to be a pretty good pitch sales man to land him, the donkey running things in Denver was at the Orange Bowl and wants him real bad...Also SF is gonna throw out crazy dollars to try to land him as well

All in all Holmgrem thinks hes above a bidding war and will just grab someone off his coaching tree who he thinks is capable of running this team and i dont believe they will be the right hire, no marty morninwig or no of those guys...

Gruden maybe i wouldnt be as upset he has potential but seriously we need to find the right coach otherwise it may be Holmgrem who is asked to leave next time

I would love to see gruden come to town but i like atenears just cant make myself believe he would give up his soft cushy job to grind out a living in cleveland and espns plushness has a tendency to turn hardcore coaches into cowhers...

And i dont have a problem with bringing a young fiery guy and or college coach in under holmgrens tutelage, if we cant get gruden i dont really like the idea of bringing in guys like marty or fox we will need a fresh young start with a fresh minded young coach...

We need holmgren to come through here in a big way and i genuinely dont believe he will just up and hire anyone for the job he seems to consistently note the importance of getting it right the first time..

Fewell and Mularkey have been confirmed. Mularkey is a WCO guy from "the tree."

Also Pat Shurmur, OC of the Rams and a hot HC name, maybe a year early. He's Fritz's son and Fritz worked for Holmgren. Pat spent 7 years as the Eagles quarterbacks coach in a WCO, with connections to Heckert.

A young, sharp coach like Shurmur does make sense given Holmgren's presence.

I won't be at all surprised if the Browns do go with a young, offensive-minded coach with WCO experience. Mike McCoy's name keeps coming up, but he might be the OC (if the coach is a defensive guy like Fox). Bevell from Minnesota is another one. Shurmur makes a ton of sense.

The organization SHOULD be able to find a young, hungry coordiator that wants to show what he can do. They are out there.

There is a coordinator out there that wants to prove himself. Who will consider himself the Browns head coach first. He will be honored to have the job, and his performance will show that. It won't be the teams honor to have him here. He will establish his reputation here, not somewhere else.

This will show that the organization knows what it wants and has a plan.

I don't want Gruden, or Fox or anyone that I would associate in other colors. Find OUR head coach.

We do have that perfect person in Holmgren. He has found many coordinators during his head coaching years. Hopefully this will be his direction.

I'm not sold on the WCO for us. In my opinion, to get that thing through the winter part of the season, you need a great QB. Not a good one, not an above average one, but a great QB.

Our homefield advantage in January football (hopefully) should be the trenches. Lets call in the NCO.

Of course thats just the style I like, so my beliefs are biased.

WCO actually makes plenty of sense in cold weather because it's all about short passes and efficiency. Brady in his youth had no running game and threw short, quick passes 50 times a game and drove defenses crazy. Denver's offense (Shanahan is WCO) did pretty damn well throwing the ball, even when it was Brian Griese.

It's not like WCO don't run the ball. In fact, they almost always have 1,000 yard rushers. Look through those Seattle, Green Bay, San Francisco, and Denver teams and there are a ton.

Teams pass in cold weather, WCO or not. The Steelers, Giants, Bears, Packers, Bengals, Ravens, Patriots... hell, everybody throws the ball now because you aren't gonna win any other way.

And knowing that, the way that makes the most sense is short, quick passes that don't get caught up in the wind.

Really, nobody is winning playing 1950s football, handing the ball off and grunting a lot. I know some of you miss it, but it isn't coming back. You can't win in this league in any weather if you can't pass the ball at a very high level, as Holmgren says over and over.

The WCO is worthless, though, if you don't have the wr's who are quick to run their routes and get separation.

The Browns just don't have that number one wr who can get downfield fast, on a route, or after catching a shorter pass.

So the defense cheats up and floods the short throws. That's why Ben Watson caught so many passes - he's still fairly fast,

and gets open, and he's a big target. I hope A.J. Green is that player, but it's too early to tell...

The Browns must get that Jerry Rice, or a Hines Ward type of physical talent (but with brains and character).

Or Paul Warfield. Lynn Swann. It might be Blackmon or Julio Jones more than A. J. Green, maybe. The Browns just NEED one.

WCO actually makes plenty of sense in cold weather because it's all about short passes and efficiency. Brady in his youth had no running game and threw short, quick passes 50 times a game and drove defenses crazy. Denver's offense (Shanahan is WCO) did pretty damn well throwing the ball, even when it was Brian Griese.

It's not like WCO don't run the ball. In fact, they almost always have 1,000 yard rushers. Look through those Seattle, Green Bay, San Francisco, and Denver teams and there are a ton.

Teams pass in cold weather, WCO or not. The Steelers, Giants, Bears, Packers, Bengals, Ravens, Patriots... hell, everybody throws the ball now because you aren't gonna win any other way.

And knowing that, the way that makes the most sense is short, quick passes that don't get caught up in the wind.

Really, nobody is winning playing 1950s football, handing the ball off and grunting a lot. I know some of you miss it, but it isn't coming back. You can't win in this league in any weather if you can't pass the ball at a very high level, as Holmgren says over and over.

Except of course the 1950s Cleveland Browns were running what was essentially the WCO with Otto Graham. The same formula you apply is exactly what they were doing back then.

Exc

Archived