THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to nab top DE, or will Cinci steal him?

silverbackattack

Our two biggest needs are WR and DE.

Then O-line, and DB.

EDIT: I would draft DE before WR if the talent is available.

It is rare for a WR making as much of a difference as a top DE. Plus,

you can find good WRs in the 2nd and 3rd round - look at Pgh. They got

Ward, Wallace and Sanders all in the 3rd round. Only a total beast

like Andre Johnson is worthy of a high 1st round pick. But a monster

DE is more worthy of a high 1st rounder. I'm not certain that Green

will be that much of a difference maker to warrant being taken in the

top 6 picks.

The bottom line is we need a DE just as bad as we need a WR. Frankly, it's way too early to tell how the draft is going to play out but if we draft best available between those two with our pick it'll be great. I'd lean WR just solely due to the fact our offense on the whole was worse than our defense.

It is rare for a WR making as much of a difference as a top DE. Plus,

you can find good WRs in the 2nd and 3rd round - look at Pgh. They got

Ward, Wallace and Sanders all in the 3rd round. Only a total beast

like Andre Johnson is worthy of a high 1st round pick. But a monster

DE is more worthy of a high 1st rounder. I'm not certain that Green

will be that much of a difference maker to warrant being taken in the

top 6 picks.

How’d the 2nd round WR’s work out for the Browns? Some of it can be considered bad talent evaluation, good receivers on poor teams otherwise, bad QB play makes WR’s look bad, yada yada

But we had the 4 deuces, and then MoMass and Robiskie… 6 2nd rounders and not a star outta any of them yet.

If we get a shot at a WR we think is top notch, we should go for it.

Note: Lots of 1st round WR’s end up doing pretty good.

But WR is more of a crap shoot than QB.

Todd McShay's frist 5 pick draft (I don't know why he didn't do one on the first 18 teams that are set in stone but what ever) Has Bowers going I think, and most importantly it has AJ Green not being picked yet so that means he falls to us.

McShay probably did pick all 18, its just that ESPN.com wants you to purchase their "Insider" package to have access to the rest of their picks. They give you a teaser with the first 5 for free. Its BS yes, but it is their way to try to glom money from you.

How’d the 2nd round WR’s work out for the Browns? Some of it can be considered bad talent evaluation, good receivers on poor teams otherwise, bad QB play makes WR’s look bad, yada yada

But we had the 4 deuces, and then MoMass and Robiskie… 6 2nd rounders and not a star outta any of them yet.

yeah, but that is the chicken or the egg syndrome. is it that your 2nd rounders haven't produced, or is it the fact that they have lacked a quality OC and QB (except hopefully for you, colt)?

McShay probably did pick all 18, its just that ESPN.com wants you to purchase their "Insider" package to have access to the rest of their picks. They give you a teaser with the first 5 for free. Its BS yes, but it is their way to try to glom money from you.

Well one not that is not the case because it was called the First Five Pick Mock Draft. Also I got a deal in my second year of getting ESPN magazine and I got the second year for a buck with free ESPN insider.

yeah, but that is the chicken or the egg syndrome. is it that your 2nd rounders haven't produced, or is it the fact that they have lacked a quality OC and QB (except hopefully for you, colt)?

Or option 3, have they just not developed yet. Alot of WR's can take up to 3 to 5 years to fully develop. Hell two years from now we can be talking about how Robiskie and MoMass are great possession receivers and Mitchel is a beastly burner. But only time can tell. People don't like to admit it, but Robiskie made real strides from last year to to the end of this season. 3 straight games with TD's at the end of the season and he just kept getting consistently better from the first game to the last. Wish I could say the same about MoMass but it seemed more like he quit with 4 games left to play.

I'm not sure 3-4 DE compares with a #1 WR as a draft priority. I know there's Seymour, but who are the other 3-4 DEs who are top 10 picks, blue chip guys?

One thing I will say... it could be a really nice year for f/a WRs. James Jones, Steve Breaston, and either Jackson or Floyd might all be there. If we got Floyd or Jackson, big guys, I could see us getting Broyles in two.

Free agency always mucks up what might seem obvious in the draft. Without it? It's obvious we'd go WR first, at least to me.

Tyson Jackson is a perfect example of this remember he went to the chiefs i think #3 overall think he would fit into that 3-4 scheme hasnt really panned out for them so well,with that thus far some people are already calling him a bust.

All these guys were picked after MoMass and Robiskie and are contributing more to there teams.

Mike Wallace, Pittsburgh, 60 rec., 1257 yrds, 3rd round 2009

Mike Thomas for the Jags has 66 receptions for 820 yrds, selected 4th rd. 2009.

Brian Hartline for Miami has 43 rec. for 615 yrds in only 12 games, 4th rd. 2009

Louis Murphy for Oakland, 41 rec., 609 yrds in 14 games, 4th rd. 2009

Austin Collie, Indy, 58 rec., 649 yrds in 9 games, 4th rd. 2009

Johnny Knox, Bears, 51 rec., 960 yrds, 5th rd. 09

Compared to Robiskie who has 29 rec. for 310 yrds and MoMass has 36 rec. for 483 yards. So is it the system, the QB or did we just pick the wrong guy.

Its definitely easier to find WR's in later rounds than its is DL. There's 6 pretty good receiver's in one year taken mid to late rounds

Take DaQuan and move him to OLB.

Draft some 4-3 tackles and move them to DE.

3-4 DE's aren't useless, but they're definitely not a glamour position on the defense like a 4-3 DE is.

Why not draft some 4-3 tackles and keep them there? I wouldn't be surprised to see us go back to a 4-3 sometime soon.

Archived