THE BROWNS BOARD

How many wins/what scores did Mangini have to get in order to keep his job?

manbearpig

I am curious to see what you guys think on this matter. Do you think that if we would have lost the same number of games but only by 3 or 7 points, that he would have kept his job. Or do you think that he had to straight up win more games. If these last two games were lost by like a field goal or even a touch down, would it be different? I think it would be but hell, I am no football guru.

I am curious to see what you guys think on this matter. Do you think that if we would have lost the same number of games but only by 3 or 7 points, that he would have kept his job. Or do you think that he had to straight up win more games. If these last two games were lost by like a field goal or even a touch down, would it be different? I think it would be but hell, I am no football guru.

Probably 8 wins would have done it, but the end of the season sealed the deal for him.

I don't really think it was as much the number of wins (even though MH states that it is) so much as the nature of the losses. Not to mention the overall aggressiveness not being displayed towards the end of the season. If he would have done some different adjustments at say halftimes or even different focuses for gameplans and alternate plans if those failed that would have naturally transferred into more wins as we were close in a lot of games. As the season wore on there were a lot of injuries yes, but this is the NFL you have to make those adjustments...just look at the Colts, they were brutalized this year but they have Peyton Manning. Hopefully in years to come we can say that about McCoy... But to give a straight answer if they would have split the last 8 or gone 8-8 or 7-9 the results may have been different. Who knows, if you give in to the conspiracy theory he would have fired him bein 12-4 (doubtful) OR 4-12 just cause he's the Devil...LOL

Well thanks for the replies. I don't know that much about Holmgren so I really can't say much there. I agree about the way we lost some games and the lack of adjustments and questionable calls etc. I only got to watch half of one preseason game, and only got to listen to us beat the pants off the Patriots and Saints. That was the highpoint of the season for me! Other than that, I was often puzzled and frustrated while watching the highlights on my cell phone and reading the aftermath. I wonder who they think will be our new coach and how he will fare.... I'd be afraid to coach in Cleveland.

It had to do with the wins for sure. Holmgren could not have fired Mangini if Mangini won the games he was supposed to. But the way the team was proceeding was so terrible that the losses and the nature of losses become despicable.

I think EM was a lame duck as soon as MH took over. It was pretty much a case of you have one year to prove your worth and make the playoffs (which no one could have done with this roster) or you are done. Thats just the feeling I get. I've been wrong before ya know.

I think EM was a lame duck as soon as MH took over. It was pretty much a case of you have one year to prove your worth and make the playoffs (which no one could have done with this roster) or you are done. Thats just the feeling I get. I've been wrong before ya know.

That is impression many get since Mangini and Holmgren are from different coaching trees, but if you were to look at the late season collapse It gives Holmgren a very solid reason. You can play the way u did before and then lose to the Bills and Bengals in such a fashion. The loss to the Steelers was the icing on the cake. The way the team went was as if they had lost hope on EM. IMO i always thought that getting a good OC who could design good schemes and few good Free Agents (in WR atleast) would have made the Browns more competitive this year, but unfortunately both were options that were not pursued.

I was thinking 8-9 impressive wins but mangini forgot about the guy that saved his job and systematically eliminated jerome harrison instead of including him in the offense, he could have been very useful on the outside..

does peyton hillis ring a bell? plus heckert was the one that dealt harrison for bell...

Eight...

The five they won +

Buffalo +

Cinci in Cinci +

Either PTG or BLT the 2nd time around.. but most likely needed a PTG win in last week.

Well then, I should make a new post but I know there is tons already. What would you do differently, and where do we go from here? I think Eric was probably the best coach out there right now and I am wondering who we will try to get. Even more, I am wondering who will be willing to come to Cleveland.

Answer:irrelevant.

Mangini was dead man walking the day Holmgren took the job.

I agree Holmgren didn't want him from the get. MH revamped the whole organization from him down and had to stop with "Mangenius". Giving EM another year built some credibility for MH and the Browns.

I think Mangini would have stayed if the Browns had scored more points than the majority of their opponents and won most of their games.....especially the close ones against teams they should have beaten.

I don't think records had anything to do with it.

BUT -- if they did matter, going 2-6 to end the season is not the way to do it. Losing to CIN and BUF the way we did, running the ball in the cold weather when Mangini said we would be a cold weather team capable of running the balls, sealed it. I think a complete ineptness on offense vs JAX after we stole the ball SIX times and scored 3 points sealed it.

I think sitting Haden for Wright so long sealed it. I think not finding a spot on the team for Jerome Harrison sealed it. I think running the ball with Jamal Lewis last season instead of giving it to some young players sealed it. I think putting the putrid Delhomme back on the field instead of the less putrid Wallace sealed it.

8 wins is not a watershed number. Ending the season 2-6, while not taking advantage of any momentum after NE and NO was a sure fire way to get booted.

above .500 either season would have probably saved him.

that or 2 braincells to rub together.

either way, you're better off without him.

Archived