THE BROWNS BOARD

Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha's Contract is Void

Harry Buffalo

Everyone know that this guy is THEE top CB in the NFL second maybe only to Revis. I guess his contract said that if he didn't meet certain criteria that his contract would become void and at the same time it also said if he reached certain goals they couldn't place a franchise tag on him. This means he will be jumping into free agency and is going to be the #1 sought after FA. If Rob Ryan stays here in Cleveland I see him taking a serious look at Cleveland. (It also helps that our owner will be willing to pay for him)

What are your thoughts.

Everyone know that this guy is THEE top CB in the NFL second maybe only to Revis. I guess his contract said that if he didn't meet certain criteria that his contract would become void and at the same time it also said if he reached certain goals they couldn't place a franchise tag on him. This means he will be jumping into free agency and is going to be the #1 sought after FA. If Rob Ryan stays here in Cleveland I see him taking a serious look at Cleveland. (It also helps that our owner will be willing to pay for him)

What are your thoughts.

For cheap MAYBE. 3 picks in 4 years and 26 passes defended during that span, that is not "because they don't throw to him" numbers. Numbers steadly decreasing over the last 4 years.

I think we have our shutdown corner making shitloads of money. REALLY tough to put two on the same team considering the bank-busting money Nnamde will demand. I see him more as a last piece to a team with a great offense but no defense (listening, Colts?).

The Browns are on the hook with Sheldon Brown, a very solid second corner covering second WRs. We'll draft a developmental guy in round 4-ish and hope that Wright snaps out of it. We look set at safety now that Elam upped his play.

Good thing we got rid of Brodney Pool, huh? DOH! I thought he was pretty terrific his last year and we debated it a lot.

Tough to cover your way out of it. You really have to get after the passer.

For cheap MAYBE. 3 picks in 4 years and 26 passes defended during that span, that is not "because they don't throw to him" numbers. Numbers steadly decreasing over the last 4 years.

What do you mean that isn't 'They don't throw to him numbers"? They really don't throw to him and he won't come cheap. It will be a ridiculous FA contract and one any team "rebuilding" should avoid. Draft, draft, draft.

Yeah i mean id love to have the guy but the money is going to be outrageous that hes going to be asking for so i think we will pass, He is a good DB back though and would love to see him and brown and orange i just dont see it being a fit seeing how hes going to want be paid as much as Revis was or around that area.. We really cant afford to bring him in

Asomugha is one of the league's best man-to-man cornerbacks, with most teams choosing not to throw to his side of the field. According to STATS LLC, Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season. He allowed 13 completions for 205 yards and no touchdowns, burnishing his reputation as a shutdown cornerback.

Care to rethink your post?

Asomugha is one of the league's best man-to-man cornerbacks, with most teams choosing not to throw to his side of the field. According to STATS LLC, Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season. He allowed 13 completions for 205 yards and no touchdowns, burnishing his reputation as a shutdown cornerback.

Care to rethink your post?

No. In relation to the money he will wants, we build through the draft. Everyone that wins builds through the draft. Stoolers, Pats, Ravens, Packers, etc. Every successful team has stability and the same players on their teams for 5 - 6 years, selected through the draft. Let's not turn into the Redskins.

Yeah his is stats are ricidiculos but so will be is contract, as other ppl have already mention you have to build through the draft and do it on a constant level to win in this league and we have one good draft class last year since we've been back to football and 99 wonder why we suck??

Why is everyone bringing up, "you gotta build through the draft?" Last I checked, he is one Free Agent, and we dont have to give up a draft pick. Now if we start pulling what we did in '08 where we traded our first, second, and third for Brady Quinn(drafted), Shaun Rogers, and Corey Williams respectively, then I understand. Or if we try to keep bringing in mediocre, at best, RTs to fill a glaring need like John St. Pierre, Tony Pashos or Kevin Shaffer. They werent sweet for other teams, why would they be here? There is only so much coaching can do, a lot of it is on the players potential/ability.

With teams like ours, that are trying to build a winner, we have to add free agents, and I get that. We cant fill every need in the draft, and with CB not being overly glaring with Haden and Brown, and maybe Wright yet, we probably wouldnt use higher than a 3rd for one, so why not pick up a sweet starter in the FA. The DL thing hasnt really worked out either, nor has LB. But with our secondary looking pretty solid, we may only need one player to make it good whether it be a CB or a S.

There are exceptions IMHO. I dont like what the Jets did bringing in 90 FAs, but if we can get Asomugha, we wouldnt do much other spending in FA, and would build through the draft yet. He will be 30 at the beginning of this season, but Charles was 33 when he won DPOY, and is still playing at a high level at 34. We can still get 4 good years out of him, and I think he would do wonders to Haden's progression.

With the exceptions, I feel if you arent going to use a top 3, maybe 4, round pick on a position, you can try to fill the void via FA if you have not tried it repeatedly in the past a la RT DL LB for us.

Im not saying dont bring in FAs at all whatsover but i dont know why we dont go after more could be alot of players dont wanna play for Cleveland in all reality, but as Far as Nnamdi is concerned why spend that much money on one player when we could grab a RT and maybe a pass rusher... If we do sign him i wouldnt be the first person complaning but do not think we will have very much money to sign anybody else ethier

Archived