THE BROWNS BOARD

After watching this weekends games the draft direction should be obvious

Richiswhere

Alot of QB's this weekend didn't look so good when you get pressure on them without having to blitz. They looked pretty ordinary when they couldn't stand in their spots and survey the field and yet when teams rushed 3 or 4 men and couldn't get any pressure they got torn up. As bad as we need a WR I believe a stud DT, DE or OLB is what we need. This is a QB driven league and getting pressure on the QB without having to blitz makes everyone better on the defense.

Alot of QB's this weekend didn't look so good when you get pressure on them without having to blitz. They looked pretty ordinary when they couldn't stand in their spots and survey the field and yet when teams rushed 3 or 4 men and couldn't get any pressure they got torn up. As bad as we need a WR I believe a stud DT, DE or OLB is what we need. This is a QB driven league and getting pressure on the QB without having to blitz makes everyone better on the defense.

While I agree with you about needing to get after the QB, the Browns need an offensive playmaker. The NFL is no longer a defensively driven league. You look at scores week in and week out, the winning teams were scoring some decent point totals...unless they were playing the Browns. Remember, the Browns were the only team in the league to not give up 30 or more in a game until the last game of the season. Their defense more than held it's own. The league is set up now to be an offensive league. You gotta score points in order to win. How many games did our Browns lose because the offense couldn't score...or couldn't even sustain a drive? Too many. You can pick up a good pass rusher in the 2nd round. But you won't find the talent level at WR after round 1 that the Browns need drastically. I think they need to go Green, Jones, or Blackmon in round 1. Then bolster that front 7.

Yeah absoultey you need the blitz but did you see what Aaron Rogers and his group of Recievers did to a very good blitzing Defense, or how about Tom Brady and the Pats... If you have a good QB and good group of recievers it could be 3rd and 1 and they will throw the ball on you... Spread you out so theres never a chance to even get a sack on the QB... But with all that being said yes you do need a pass rush to win in this league

Unlike the other commentators, I agree with you. I think our draft priority should be DL or pass rushing LB.

I believe we can pick up some offensive playmakers in free agency.

DE and WR are clearly our biggest needs in this draft. No need to argue about which one to draft in round 1 because it depends on who's there when we pick. If we can get top-level talent at either position it would be a huge lift to this team. If we go DE in the 1st then we go WR in the 2nd or the other way around. Lucky for us there seems to be plenty of talent at both positions this year.

Yeah absoultey you need the blitz but did you see what Aaron Rogers and his group of Recievers did to a very good blitzing Defense, or how about Tom Brady and the Pats... If you have a good QB and good group of recievers it could be 3rd and 1 and they will throw the ball on you... Spread you out so theres never a chance to even get a sack on the QB... But with all that being said yes you do need a pass rush to win in this league

What's interesting is that 3 of the 4 winners this weekend featured quarterbacks who had big days, some in bad weather. Rodgers was terrific in Philly, Flacco was excellent in horrible KC weather, and Hasselbeck had his best game since his glory days. Only the Jets won without a big day from their passing offense.

The Browns had an anemic passing offense in 2010. They simply can't compete in today's NFL without throwing the ball at a top 10-15 level, and they're at least two top shelf WRs from doing that. We'll sign one in free agency AND get one in the first two picks in the draft.

I'd be at least semi-stunned if the Browns didn't go WR in round one. They went D with their first two picks last year and were obviously better on that side of the ball. I could see a pass rusher with our high second rounder.

That said, I agree: This league is about a LOT of things... but passing the ball and rushing the passer are today's version of running the ball and stopping the run from decade's past. It's the prescription for victory on a consistent basis. The ideal example was the Ravens dismantling of the Chiefs. The Ravens couldn't run at all but it didn't really matter with Flacco ringing up 270 yards and 2 TDs with O INTs in frigid weather... and the Ravens putting heat on noodle-arm Cassel who can only go past 15 when he can really step into it.

Think if the Pats and Packers play in the Super Bowl, which I'd say is the popular pick right now. Who are the running backs? I'm guessing 9 of 10 pretty serious fans couldn't name them.

It's much easier to pick up an effective WR in FA than it is to get a good DE or OLB who isn't "over the hump".

If we pick up a good vet WR, I could see us definitely going defense first. There's a good group of quality receivers in this draft, so we could (hopefully) afford to miss out on the top one or two.

But damn it, Green and Blackmon are so appealing.

Julio Jones is awfully appealing, too, especially in a WCO. He's a beast who could rack up the YAC.

I think we could get a pass rusher at 38. The only way we don't go WR in round one (in my humble opinion) is if we already signed Vincent Jackson. I'm not sure Steve Breaston stops us from getting Julio Jones.

The Steelers get their linebackers and pass rushers in later rounds year after year.

While I agree with you about needing to get after the QB, the Browns need an offensive playmaker. The NFL is no longer a defensively driven league. You look at scores week in and week out, the winning teams were scoring some decent point totals...unless they were playing the Browns. Remember, the Browns were the only team in the league to not give up 30 or more in a game until the last game of the season. Their defense more than held it's own. The league is set up now to be an offensive league. You gotta score points in order to win. How many games did our Browns lose because the offense couldn't score...or couldn't even sustain a drive? Too many. You can pick up a good pass rusher in the 2nd round. But you won't find the talent level at WR after round 1 that the Browns need drastically. I think they need to go Green, Jones, or Blackmon in round 1. Then bolster that front 7.

Blackmons DUI isn't going to help him.

I agree with Rick....Fairly would look pretty darn good in our Uniform.

Blackmons DUI isn't going to help him.

I agree with Rick....Fairly would look pretty darn good in our Uniform.

For sure agree about the DUI...but I still believe they gotta go WR in the first. Ideally, trade down a few spots and still get Julio Jones and pick up an extra pick later in the draft. I don't see Green available at 6.

For sure agree about the DUI...but I still believe they gotta go WR in the first. Ideally, trade down a few spots and still get Julio Jones and pick up an extra pick later in the draft. I don't see Green available at 6.

Excatly or trade down and get Blackmon, i just see so many top 10 defensive lineman as busts granted but WRs are as well but lately its bad for D-lineman...Tyson Jackson,Glenn Dorsey,Vernon Ghouslon,Chris Long even though hes been playing well as of late,Derrick Harvey i mean those were all top 10 draft picks

I think the Browns are the slowest team in the NFL. If all things are equal we should pick the player with speed...

In addition, from what I've been reading (hearing) is that the Browns will be running the west coast offense next year.. In the west coast offense the emphasis is on yards after the catch. Who do we currently have on the roster that gives us yards after the catch??

It's gonna be interesting to see how the offseason plays out.. We're sort of a tweener team, in that, we don't have the proper players for the 3 - 4 or the proper players for the west coast...

Peace

T.Dawg

Several starting QB's in the league are adept at recognizing blitzing schemes at the line of scrimage and checking off to take away the defensive advantage/scheme. Of course Peyton Manning comes to mind

as the master although he came up short last weekend against the Jets. His center Saturday made the Pro Bowl this year but beyond that, Manninngs offensive line protection over the years hasn't has been

a who's who in the Pro Bowl. It should be noted that his sack percenctage is usually on the low end in league stats. His receivers are excellent at recognizing when Manning is in trouble and are quickly able to

break off their patterns and adjust in order to bail out their QB and make a play. All of these coached skills can counteract a rush/blitz package featuring the best lineman/lb/defensive backs in the league.

While smart QB play can take a team far into the playoffs they must have the receivers who can think on their feet and adjust. I think Colt has the moxie to become a talented tactician/scrambler and

passer. He needs someone just as intelligent and skilled on the receiving end. I hope the Browns make finding a WR with the right stuff their number one priority in the draft or in the acquisition of a FA.

Archived