THE BROWNS BOARD

Jim Zorn could be in line for Browns' offensive coordinator job

ITHIKA

I think Zorn would be great as the OC the guy won't be calling the plays but he's been a proven and great QB coach. If we acquire him it will also not only make us better but the Ravens worse. So if we get Zorn we'll have Holmgren at the top a great QB guru, Zorn at OC another QB guru and Shurmur as HC who was also a QB guru for Mcnabb for many years. With all of these guys the QB position should have plenty of help and as Shurmur said the teams vision will definitely be through the QB. JMHO..

http://news-herald.com/articles/2011/01/18...s/nh3538796.txt

Jim Zorn, currently the quarterbacks coach of the Baltimore Ravens, could be the Browns' next offensive coordinator, according to league sources.

Zorn was the quarterbacks coach under Browns president Mike Holmgren in Seattle from 2001-2007 when Holmgren was the Seahawks' head coach. Zorn helped develop Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck in the West Coast offense. It is the same offense new Browns coach Pat Shurmur will run.

Shurmur plans to call plays initially, he said at his introductory news conference. Zorn would be able to take over eventually and in the meantime tutor Colt McCoy as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.

Zorn was hired as the Redskins' offensive coordinator in January 2008. A month later, impulsive Redskins owner Dan Snyder named Zorn head coach. Zorn was 12-20 in two seasons.

Dick Jauron and Dave Wannstedt, both former head coaches in the NFL, top the list of coaches who might be named defensive coordinator on Shurmur's staff.

Both are expected to interview with the Browns this week.

Wannstedt's name surfaced before the 2010 regular season ended for the Browns with four straight losses.

Jauron, the Eagles' secondary coach in 2010, became an immediate candidate with the hiring of Shurmur last week. Shurmur was an assistant coach in Philadelphia for 10 years before moving to St. Louis as the Rams' offensive coordinator in 2009. Shurmur and Jauron did not coach together in Philadelphia, but both coached under Eagles coach Andy Reid.

Jauron, 60, could decide to stay in Philadelphia. He is a candidate to replace Sean McDermott as the Eagles' defensive coordinator. McDermott was fired last week.

Jauron's coaching career included stints as head coach of the Bears, Lions and Bills. Wannstedt, 58, was head coach at Pitt the last six years. He is a candidate to become the Bills' defensive coordinator. He was head coach of the Bears from 1993-1998 (41-57) and Dolphins from 2000 to mid-2004 (43-33).

Second chance for Daboll

Brian Daboll has been hired as offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins. Daboll was the Browns' offensive coordinator the last two years. The Browns finished 32nd offensively in 2009 and 29th in 2010.

Thios could be a great opportunity for Zorn because...I think defenses figured Michael Vick out...And although I like some things about Kolb I dont think hes athletic enough for todays NFL but a decent QB.

I'll take Zorn as an OC and Wanstadt as DC.

From what I've seen Colt has the skills but as a young QB he needs some guidance and mentoring from someone who has experience as an NFL starter. He's not going to get it from Wallace if is still around and though I think Jake is a GREAT mentor for Colt his 7mil is just to much to warrant him staying on. So with that being said Zorn as a OC / QB coach helping Colt progression would be great IMO. Heck, the guy was the Seahawks starting QB for their 1st 13 years of existence. When I hear the name Jim Zorn I still think of him as the hawks QB.

Archived