THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini headed to Tennessee to become Titans DC??

longhorn

Doesn't he have 2 years and about 8 million dollars left on his contract with the Browns???

If this is true, I'd be taking my talents & bankbook to south beach where they serve drinks with those little umbrellas rather than a DC job...

How many millions does it take to survive.....

Peace

T.Dawg

Doesn't he have 2 years and about 8 million dollars left on his contract with the Browns???

If this is true, I'd be taking my talents & bankbook to south beach where they serve drinks with those little umbrellas rather than a DC job...

Peace

T.Dawg

Whatever salary he receives from Tenessee will be deducted from his outstanding pay from the Browns, he won't be double dipping.

EM knows the 4-3 too. he didn't coach the 3-4 by default because it's all he knows, but by choice--preferring it's flexibility. but he can run either.

if this has legs it looks to be good positioning for him, lying in wait behind Fisher. taking a step back into where he's most comfortable with another potential HC gig down the road if he does well. a good move imo.

EM knows the 4-3 too. he didn't coach the 3-4 by default because it's all he knows, but by choice--preferring it's flexibility. but he can run either.

if this has legs it looks to be good positioning for him, lying in wait behind Fisher. taking a step back into where he's most comfortable with another potential HC gig down the road if he does well. a good move imo.

Mangini has about as much chance at a HC gig as any of us do...after two failures in two franchises its highly unlikely you get that shot again..and based on his dumbass gameday descisions I wouldnt touch him at all.

Mangini has about as much chance at a HC gig as any of us do...after two failures in two franchises its highly unlikely you get that shot again..and based on his dumbass gameday descisions I wouldnt touch him at all.

well...not sure what you're working with in Lake County but he definitely has a better shot than i do! haha

but failures? more like knee-jerk fires imo.

fwiw i definitely disagree, Nickers. if that were common thought among NFL minds i doubt he would even be able to land an analyst position, let alone consideration for another coaching job so quickly.

the Jets are currently having success off the foundation Eric laid, and if the Browns truly turn the corner moving forward, it will be due to more of the same EM dirtywork.

some people out there see the forest through the trees, and i believe they'll give him another shot if he has continued success. once players get to know him they generally embrace his philosophy after knowing what's expected of them. who knows what the future may hold...we might even see he and Randy Moss high-fiving around this time next year (!).

failures? more like knee-jerk fires imo.

fwiw i definitely disagree, Nickers. if that were common thought among NFL minds i doubt he would even be able to land an analyst position, let alone consideration for another coaching job so quickly.

the Jets are currently having success off the foundation Eric laid, and if the Browns truly turn the corner moving forward, it will be due to more of the same EM dirtywork.

some people out there see the forest through the trees, and i believe they'll give him another shot if he has continued success. once players get to know him, they generally embrace his philosophy after knowing what's expected of them. who knows what the future may hold...we might even see he and Randy Moss high-fiving around this time next year (!).

I only wish the best for Mr. Mangini.

i assume that was rhetorical, but just in case>>>its the AFCN. a solid foundation in place to build on while crushing the defending SB champs and Pats into embarrassment with a bunch of cast-offs while working through mad injuries, with practically no elite talent on the roster (Robaire on IR and a LT and a rookie CB, lol!), no quality depth, a virtual QB carousel w all 3 new to the system and one a rookie...we've been over this.

being in every game but one under these circumstances w a top 5 schedule, that's the cusp. that one game that we got spanked? they're playing tomorrow in the championship game. and their opponent? it took them to the final 16 seconds left of OT to put us away. see what you want WRREBEL. if all you want to look at is 5-11 you'll never see the merits of what EM did here.

as they say, "it's a process", and this could be year 3...i'm anticipating stepping back before we can progress again, when we seemed to be on a steady rise. hopefully Pat & CO just grab the baton and hit the ground running, using the existing building blocks...but i seriously doubt that will be the case.

Peace

T.Dawg

Maybe he just loves the game? Not everyone wants to sit on they're ass all day and do nothing.

Back to back 5 and 11 season what exactly were we on the cusp of??

Winning 6 games, what a joke..

Mangini should have never given the game ball to his son

What the hell is your problem? This is like the 10th time you have bashed Mangini for giving a game ball to his son. Who F***ing cares! And after your comments about wanting Rogers and Hanesworth as our two DLs next year you are officially the dumbest poster here...

You prove time and time again that New York fans (specifically yankee fans) are the dumbest on the planet.. You don't seem to understand that baseball is the only major sport where you can BUY championships. In the NFL there is a salary cap where you have to build from the ground up.. You can't go from a crap season to winning the Super Bowl. Progress takes time and is measured by more than just wins.

It's really sad that you don't even know what the word "progress" means...

What the hell is your problem? This is like the 10th time you have bashed Mangini for giving a game ball to his son. Who F***ing cares! And after your comments about wanting Rogers and Hanesworth as our two DLs next year you are officially the dumbest poster here...

You prove time and time again that New York fans (specifically yankee fans) are the dumbest on the planet.. You don't seem to understand that baseball is the only major sport where you can BUY championships. In the NFL there is a salary cap where you have to build from the ground up.. You can't go from a crap season to winning the Super Bowl. Progress takes time and is measured by more than just wins.

My neighbor has 3 rabbits

Whatever salary he receives from Tenessee will be deducted from his outstanding pay from the Browns, he won't be double dipping.

The reality is his severance has probably already been reached since he is being mentioned this early.

My guess is a agreement was in hand when he was released...probably 75-80% of the remaining contract with him free and clear to seek a job.

Based on Holmgrens words at the PC, we probably didn't try to lowball the guy on a settlement.

Sorry to hear your DADDY got fired. Maybe in school they can teach you that 5-11 and 5-11 are the same record.. I do understand baseball is where you buy a championship and i love it..

your dad blows and blows hard. I wouldnt let him coach my nieces soccer team

btw, did you get any autographs on the game ball?

Have you ever gotten the feeling that you aren't completely gay yet, but you embrace tomorrow's gayness?

i cant quit you

Maybe you should.

I like many of the points you make, but you engage in way too much smack talk around here.

The reality is his severance has probably already been reached since he is being mentioned this early.

My guess is a agreement was in hand when he was released...probably 75-80% of the remaining contract with him free and clear to seek a job.

Based on Holmgrens words at the PC, we probably didn't try to lowball the guy on a settlement.

That's not how it works with coaches in the NFL, for example as of now the Browns are still paying Romeo Crennel, Phil Savage and Rob Chudzinski from prior contracts. Butch Davis was paid up till 2009 even though he was coaching North Carolina. Mangini will be paid his remaining salary over the next two years whether he finds a job or not. Coaches are usually given free rein to find another job as it saves the firing organisation money.

That's not how it works with coaches in the NFL, for example as of now the Browns are still paying Romeo Crennel, Phil Savage and Rob Chudzinski from prior contracts. Butch Davis was paid up till 2009 even though he was coaching North Carolina. Mangini will be paid his remaining salary over the next two years whether he finds a job or not. Coaches are usually given free rein to find another job as it saves the firing organisation money.

You seem to know what you are talking about and I guess I don't know what I am talking about ;)

Speedy "not everybody wants to sit on they're ass all day and do nothing".

Man I'm not sure of the intent of that comment or to whom it is being directed ... However if I may, who says he should sit on his ass and do nothing???

With 8 million benjamins he could do almost anything he wanted---I'd love to be in that position..

He's been a head coach, giving the orders, for the past 5 years.. I can't figure why he would want to jump into the coaching pressure cooker and the 18 hour days right away... Seems he has a nice ESPN gig that I'm sure he's not doing for free...

Romeo sat for a year, let his body heal then got back to his lifes work...

With what Mangini went through with the Jets and Browns seems to me he'd want to reconnect with his family, reenergize, then find a coaching job that he's comfortable with....

I can't speak for him, it's just something I'd do in a similiar situation.... As I previously said, how many millions do you need to survive???

Peace

T.Dawg

Speedy "not everybody wants to sit on they're ass all day and do nothing".

Man I'm not sure of the intent of that comment or to whom it is being directed ... However if I may, who says he should sit on his ass and do nothing???

With 8 million benjamins he could do almost anything he wanted---I'd love to be in that position..

He's been a head coach, giving the orders, for the past 5 years.. I can't figure why he would want to jump into the coaching pressure cooker and the 18 hour days right away... Seems he has a nice ESPN gig that I'm sure he's not doing for free...

Romeo sat for a year, let his body heal then got back to his lifes work...

With what Mangini went through with the Jets and Browns seems to me he'd want to reconnect with his family, reenergize, then find a coaching job that he's comfortable with....

I can't speak for him, it's just something I'd do in a similiar situation.... As I previously said, how many millions do you need to survive???

Peace

T.Dawg

Trust me, if I was in his shoes the first thing I would do is take a long vacation to. In fact I might never even work again since I wouldn't have to. Some people do get bored really easy though and maybe working makes him happy. If it's what he loves to do then more power to him. I know if I was paid to do something I loved to do, I would rather do that then nothing.

For all we know his wife might be a self centered bxtch and spending 18 hours a day on football is his escape.

Trust me, if I was in his shoes the first thing I would do is take a long vacation to. In fact I might never even work again since I wouldn't have to. Some people do get bored really easy though and maybe working makes him happy. If it's what he loves to do then more power to him. I know if I was paid to do something I loved to do, I would rather do that then nothing.

For all we know his wife might be a self centered bxtch and spending 18 hours a day on football is his escape.

Believe it or not, this job isn't about the money to these guys. Most of them, anyway. The ones that are worth their salt don't coach for the hefty check. They coach because they can't get the football bug out of their system. That's why you see so many of them come back to coach, or to broadcast, or work in the front office, or to "advise".

They've got enough money to sit on some beach somewhere and just watch the sun go up and down over and over. But they can't, because the sun's not wearing shoulder pads.

The Tennessee Titans are eyeing former Cleveland Browns and New York Jets coach Eric Mangini for their defensive coordinator vacancy, according to the Tennessean.

Per the report, no contract talks have started.

The Titans are in no rush to replace Chuck Cecil.

Mangini was fired after consecutive 5-11 seasons.

Other than Mangini, other candidates include Fisher himself, Jim Mora Jr., who just turned down Denver and Seattle, Cal defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast and Titans assistant head coach Dave McGinnis.

What is clear is the Titans need to improve.

They ranked 26th in total defense last season.

And they just lost defensive line coach Jim Washburn to the Philadelphia Eagles, one of the best position coaches in the league.

LINK:http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20110122_titans_eye_eric_mangini_for_defensive_coordinator

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did we not consider hiring EM as a DC ? - apologies for creating a new thread.

Archived