THE BROWNS BOARD

3-4 vs. 4-3

philbert79

There's been a lot of talk out there concerning the Browns changing from the 3-4 to the 4-3 with Dick Jauron coming in as the DC. I thought this could be a place to discuss the transition; pros/cons, personnel needs, etc...

The most glaring stat to me coming out of this post season is that the 3/4 of the teams playing this weekend employ the 3-4, Chicago being the only exception. This is certainly not the norm. Take a look at last year when the numbers were reversed with the Superbowl teams both running a 4-3.

I pulled up the defensive rankings from the last 2 years. Based on points allowed per game, six of the top ten defenses this year were running the 3-4. In 2009, five of the top ten were 3-4. In both years, the top 3 were 3-4 defenses. Again this is based on points per game, not yards. There was one less 3-4 team in the top ten each year if based on yards per game.

I need to point out that 6 of the bottom ten teams in ppg allowed this year were 3-4 teams. Oh yeah, and the Browns never broke the top 20 in any of those categories.

Last year, 14 of the 32 teams were running some variation of the 3-4. This doesn't include the Bills who wanted to run the 3-4, but didn't have the personnel and went back to a base 4-3 or the New Orleans Saints who's base is 4-3, but give a lot of 3-4 looks.

All that out of the way, let's get to it!

Let me say this first... I'm a big fan of the 3-4. The confusion and the pressure you can generate with the 3-4 is fun to watch. I love the versatility the extra linebackers gives you in passing downs and on special teams. It also gives you a lot more options in the nickel. Instead of having to pull a LB off the field for the extra DB, you can pull a DE and keep the LB out there to either rush or double the TE or spy the RB out of the backfield.

With that said, I'm actually pretty excited about the 4-3 coming to Cleveland. We never really had the personnel to run the 34 effectively. They guys that make the 3-4 a viable option are few and far between. With the influx of teams switching from the 4-3, those guys are going to be even harder to find. Also, the fact that most college teams are in the 4-3, means guys are ready to come out and play right out of college.

I'm not sure there will be as much turnover on the front 7 as most think. There will be guys brought in through FA and the draft to build depth, but here's some names I think we'll be seeing next year: Rubin DT. at 6'2" 330, he could survive in the 43 as the 1 technique. Scott Paxon (signed after the season) is 6'4" 292 and might be a good fit at 3 technique. Is that why he was signed? Matt Roth DE. He's 6'4" 275 with the speed to rush the QB. Same could be said about Marcus Bernard, but at 6'2" 252, he might be a little light for DE. Jayme Mitchell might be a good fit on the edge. Hard to argue with 6'6" 285 with experience in the 4-3 at the pro level. Gocong at WLB, Fujita at Sam with the green dot on the back of his helmet. I'm just not sure D'Qwell will be back at Mike, so that's one glaring need that will have to be addressed. Kaluka Maiava could still be around, but not likely a good fit for MLB.

I don't think there will be as many changes in the secondary except to add depth and replace some aging talent. We may see Brown move to safety with Elam moving along. I can't really see Eric Wright coming back after the year he had, though he could be a cheap option and could play well in a new system.

So what are your thoughts?

I'm also very excited about switching to the 4 3, we weren't even close to have the players for an effective 3-4. The 3-4 takes have athletic lbs, if you look at us we never confused anyone. I mean our guys would run right into the blockers when rushing the passer.

Plus a guy like rogers would thrive in a 4 3, I kind of hope we bring in haynesworth also, both guys would have something to prove. I'm telling you these guys could be studs if the coaches pushed the right buttons.

I'm also very excited about switching to the 4 3, we weren't even close to have the players for an effective 3-4. The 3-4 takes have athletic lbs, if you look at us we never confused anyone. I mean our guys would run right into the blockers when rushing the passer.

Plus a guy like rogers would thrive in a 4 3, I kind of hope we bring in haynesworth also, both guys would have something to prove. I'm telling you these guys could be studs if the coaches pushed the right buttons.

I'm not sure I like their work ethic. No doubt they are dominate players in the 43.

I thought the Browns did a good job of confusing when they lined up in the 1-5-5. Almost everytime they did, there would be a time out, false start, or delay of game. Other than that, there was no problem figuring out who was coming and who was dropping.

i think you need athletic LBs no matter what sceme you run.

wait, AND you want to bring in albert "i never did a damn thing that i didn't want to do or if it dosen't benefit me and to hell with anyone else including my teamates" haynesworth?

:blink: wow, just wow. :blink:

First off, let me start by saying thank you for coming on here and post. What is your purpose? To make me like the Steelers? Or to make me realize how bad we have been? For that I don't need your help with..

But I thank you! Because as i realize how bad we have been but I also realize how bitter sweet it will be when we turn things around.. Trust me, the time is coming and if you think ur annoying now, just wait.. See what you see on here are real browns fans with real passion. You see fans who have stood by our team for a decade of futlity..

Our time is coming, and soon you will hate your life even more than you do now..

"she will be mine, of yes, she will be mine"-- Wayne cambell

what is my purpose for posting here? comic relief.........you can't buy laughs like what you get around here for free.

and "you see fans who have stood by our team for a decade of futility.."? not what i saw when your stadium got emptied the last game of the year. which is honestly the best thing for your team. as i've said before, drop merchandise sales by 60+% and have 4 or more home games blacked out and your ownership will get it's act together.

I am glad we can add some comic releif of your life. See the difference between people like you and I, is I wouldn't be on a forum when my team was in the AFC title game talking with a fan base who's team finished 5-11..

Here is an article that was writen to compare the two and its very base for both schemes but the comment's from players is what is key. And they add that they practice twice as much for 34 teams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80d6...-in-the-numbers

Ya know Erie....I wish you would change that sig pic.

Ok....I've seen it before and chuckled myself, but really man, the focus goes to the big girl, and it is obvious she has something going on more than a eating problem.

The joke goes far beyond the Steeler jersey and starts to hit a personal level at which point it isn't funny any longer.

JMO

Ya know Erie....I wish you would change that sig pic.

Ok....I've seen it before and chuckled myself, but really man, the focus goes to the big girl, and it is obvious she has something going on more than a eating problem.

The joke goes far beyond the Steeler jersey and starts to hit a personal level at which point it isn't funny any longer.

JMO

Well I respect you and your knowledge of the game and team peen, but not sure how you can take that personal.

Maybe I don't want to know....lol.

Here is an article that was writen to compare the two and its very base for both schemes but the comment's from players is what is key. And they add that they practice twice as much for 34 teams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80d6...-in-the-numbers

Thats a pretty piss poor article IMO all its showing is the 43 defense rushing 4 everytime while the 34 defense is rushing 3 and blitzing another 2 or 3. Well we all know by now what happens when you rush 6 guys and don't get to the QB. I really don't care if we run the 34 or 43 but I do know this. When you have NO talent schemes will only get you so far no matter who the DC is.

Heres a far better article 34 vs 43 http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/26/...scheme-will-the

I am not a fan of this change. Issues I see a personnel related. With the 3 - 4 and a healthy scott Fujita at one ILB, I thought we were one impact OLB away from being a very dangerous D.... now?

Who is our MLB? I don't see Scott F there solo... Barton? Too slow...

Who are our DE's? I really don't see one ideal 4 - 3 DE on the 2010 roster let alone two... Bowens may be as close as we have, and I ain't feelin' him...

Any deficiencies can be addressed through the draft, FA and trades with time... but the change really sets us back....

i hear the argument that we should switch schemes cause we dont have the personnel to run a 3-4.....but we dont have the personnel to run a 4-3 either. we have no natural DE's, only guys that either played it in college or former 3-4 OLB that will have to learn to play hand down. slow linebackers outside of DQJ, but how reliable is he now that hes played only a couple games in 2 years (mr. glass). considering the guys we do have are all on the back of their careers.....we were gonna retool the DL/LB anyway.....we'll be drafting for an inferior system.

4-3 is going the way of the dodo as scheming is becoming more heaviliy relaint on trickery and confusion. we're hamstrung now, and with this new bland version of the 4-3 that jauron brings here.....well, its not like its gonna be hard to defeat it. it was once a dominant defense, it got destroyed by the WCO and the 3-4 was the solution by adding another backer.

this is just the old man walrus thinking his archaic system still applies to the current version of the NFL.

Thats a pretty piss poor article IMO all its showing is the 43 defense rushing 4 everytime while the 34 defense is rushing 3 and blitzing another 2 or 3. Well we all know by now what happens when you rush 6 guys and don't get to the QB. I really don't care if we run the 34 or 43 but I do know this. When you have NO talent schemes will only get you so far no matter who the DC is.

Heres a far better article 34 vs 43 http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/26/...scheme-will-the

Well I thought I mentioned that it was pretty basic;

I could of swore I said that the comments from the players was the key.

I would rather hear comments from o& d lineman that play in the trenches and know what gives them fits rather than a buffalo beat writers plagiarized article of stuff he copied and pasted.

Like it was already stated we are in dire need of 43 personel and it would be a down rite fu**ing miracle if it was a smooth transiion and we already had most of the pieces in place.

Let's not forget we will be changing offenses even more parts that we need via FA and the draft that can't be spent on the 43 transition. I can already see free agency if we have one.... everyones pricks will be stiff cause landed a old. Def. player with a little left in the tank that gets paid huge..... and he is going to mentor the young guys into the 43. For some reason im getting deja-vu, ala willie mc ginest and the Rac era. Just be thankfull we don't have savage doing the draft. But Im just not sure how we can totally switch everything on both sides of the ball and it not be considered rebuilding?

So if we win 6 or 7 games next year will it be a success even with the cake schedule?

If the record stays the same is it going to be "the men were just getting their feet wet in the new system, we just need some more time"

If it's the latter did we even move forward at all?

Ethier way we lack the talent to run any defense you would like to consider, me i pefer the 3-4 as opposed to 4-3 but i think we missed out on alot of great players to fit that scheme in last recent years draft..Look at GB i thought Raji would be a perfect fit as NT in the 3-4 seems he is, or how about swapping picks with are division rivals to allow them to add the best NT in the game in Ngata when we could of had him...I dont care what system we run anymore just make smart decisions and draft the right xxxxing Players .......

Archived