THE BROWNS BOARD

Has Jay Cutler overtaken over the title...

Kosar_For_President

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many, I am not a big Cutler fan, but give the guy a break. He got hurt, Lovie Smith said he and the medical staff helped make the decision in Cutler continuing to play and they all agreed to pull him.

Here are the stats from the 2010 New York Life Protection Index which is a measure of offensive line effectivenes. The totals are for 16 games and the higher the # the better. Chicago was dead last. I think Cutler has proven his toughness this year. Maybe he's not the smartest or most social person in the world, who knows. I'm not 100% convinced he was listening to an MP3 player either, could have been a head set.

What I do know is that most, if not all, people on this board (including me) couldn't even tie his shoes when it comes to playing NFL QB.

THOSE WHO CAN'T, COACH. We can also add THOSE WHO NEVER COULD, CRITICIZE.

http://newyorklife.stats.com/fb/protection.asp?type=overall

Rank Team Games Index

1 Indianapolis Colts 16 90.7

2 New Orleans Saints 16 81.0

3 New York Giants 16 80.3

4 Atlanta Falcons 16 77.7

5 New England Patriots 16 72.8

6 Houston Texans 16 72.6

7 Cincinnati Bengals 16 71.8

8 Detroit Lions 16 70.3

9 Denver Broncos 16 69.2

10 San Diego Chargers 16 68.9

11 New York Jets 16 67.8

12 Dallas Cowboys 16 67.6

13 Tennessee Titans 16 65.6

14 Green Bay Packers 16 65.3

15 Miami Dolphins 16 64.5

16 Seattle Seahawks 16 63.2

17 St. Louis Rams 16 61.2

18 Baltimore Ravens 16 58.3

19 Buffalo Bills 16 57.3

20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 57.1

21 Cleveland Browns 16 56.7

22 Arizona Cardinals 16 55.3

23 Washington Redskins 16 54.0

24 Minnesota Vikings 16 52.4

25 Kansas City Chiefs 16 52.2

26 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 51.1

27 San Francisco 49ers 16 45.9

28 Philadelphia Eagles 16 45.1

29 Jacksonville Jaguars 16 45.0

30 Carolina Panthers 16 40.9

31 Oakland Raiders 16 39.0

32 Chicago Bears 16 33.1

Anyone who's torn anything in their knee before, knows that its no joke. He did try to go out there for one more series, and then was benched.

When Hanie was playing well and scoring, Cutler was standing and cheering.

I've torn my ACL and probably my MCL and LCL and the lack of stability in the knee because of these things is huge. Now imagine you are trying to put a lot of lateral pressure on the knee with this kind of tear, while 300 lb linemen are bearing down on you.

Not everyone is Kosar, who played the last half of a game on a broken ankle.

This x 1,000!

I tore my ACL, MCL and PCL in my left knee my senior year of high school. Just trying to walk on that was painful and I had to be physically carried by lineman off the field.

I couldn't imagine trying to go out and compete in an NFL type atmosphere with any type of ligament tear.

Would you try it for 20 Million dollars though?

It would depend on how I could perform. If the injury affected how I could play and if I felt it was going to hurt the team then no.

According to the reports I heard last night it affected his plant foot and throws. So if Cutler goes out and throws a pick 6 or has a few bad throws in succession then fans would have been mad anyway.

It would depend on how I could perform. If the injury affected how I could play and if I felt it was going to hurt the team then no.

According to the reports I heard last night it affected his plant foot and throws. So if Cutler goes out and throws a pick 6 or has a few bad throws in succession then fans would have been mad anyway.

Good point. The fans should be happy they made it that far. I know I would be lol.

With all due respect,

it takes a HUGE set of cajones to play football at any level. At the NFL level? You have to also be mentally ill to not have fear for your body and your health. It's pretty easy to sit back and call a guy a poosee for not catching a pass, making an extra yard, hanging in to get blasted before releasing the ball, or any other play on the field.

Seriously, WTF? Cutler has been there, he has taken his share of hits, clean and otherwise.

I suppose since he controlled himself instead of putting on a show that he was writhing in pain, he isn't believable.

Meanwhile Ben cries on the field over being so emotional blah blah blah..............

In both cases, so f-ing what? You go out there and let Harrison rearrange your testicles a few times and then tell me about being tough.

If the guy says he's hurt, it should be good enough......... for EVERYONE.

Cutler is a tough guy and a good kid. He had a great year, took his team deep into the playoffs and doesn't have a damned thing to be ashamed of.

i agree with your view as many others about this topic.

i just can't believe all these former players taking shots at him and i'm just talking about what i see on espn. since when did tom jackson become 'mr. controversy'. and trent dilfer is the biggest talking head out of them all. i think he knows a lot about the game and i like the way he breaks things down, BUT what the F did he ever do? he basically got handed the super bowl ring by a ravens defense w/o doing squadoosh. and now you are blasting a guy that was hurt? GTFO.

So you have nothing of value to add? At this point you are just one step above a poo-slinging monkey. Nice work.

“All I’m saying is that he can finish the game on a hurt knee … I played the whole season on one,” tweeted Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew.

“All I’m saying is that he can finish the game on a hurt knee … I played the whole season on one,” tweeted Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew.

I guess you're completely overlooking the fact he said he was kidding and it was a joke at Florida, and that he couldn't know how much pain Cutler was in.

you love quotes, here's a good one:

"As far as Jay, Jay didn't take himself out of the game. If you're going to attack somebody, you should be attacking me. As a head football coach, and our medical staff, we're the ones ... he wanted to go back in. He was injured and went back in in the second half. So I see it as the complete opposite of how it's being portrayed right now."-Coach Lovie Smith

I mean what does he know, he was only there coaching the game right? come on man, don't throw out weak quotes from players talking crap who know nothing about it. It seems like you're just more pissed at his demeanor on the sidelines, which is completely understandable. I'm right there with you. But like I've been saying, you can't question the injury at this point. It's real and he was taken out of the game for it. I can't believe how much i'm defending this douche cutler, but you can't question a man going back in when he's had a serious injury.

"As far as Jay, Jay didn't take himself out of the game. If you're going to attack somebody, you should be attacking me. As a head football coach, and our medical staff, we're the ones ... he wanted to go back in. He was injured and went back in in the second half. So I see it as the complete opposite of how it's being portrayed right now."-Coach Lovie Smith

But he sure as hell didn't beg to be put in.

I'm sure if his $20 MIL depended strictly on playing hurt for that one game, then Cutler would have played. But since his contract is for more than just one game, and he will get payed regardless if he played or not, and the rest of his career could have been shortened or even ended by playing further on that knee, I think Cutler made the right move.

I'm sure if his $20 MIL depended strictly on playing hurt for that one game, then Cutler would have played. But since his contract is for more than just one game, and he will get payed regardless if he played or not, and the rest of his career could have been shortened or even ended by playing further on that knee, I think Cutler made the right move.

Who the fook cares about the money. His team needed him and he was not there. If you've played organized sports, you may have, you would understand.

If you know you can't perform, being a team player means you don't go out there and give your team a better chance to win.

Who the fook cares about the money. His team needed him and he was not there. If you've played organized sports, you may have, you would understand.

His team needed him out there if he was healthy, he was not. He would have been a detriment. He tried to come back in and couldn't. I'm pretty sure that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing because no one can be a dense as you are portraying right now.

According to Saints fullback Heath Evans, Brees played “six weeks with a torn MCL’’ in his left knee, referring to a medial collateral ligament. Zing.

It should be noted that Evans made a similar reference to Brees’ injured status for a story published by USA Today in December but did not cite the extent of the knee injury.

Saints right tackle Jon Stinchcomb acknowledged Monday that he was not privy to the extent of Brees' knee injury, only that the quarterback was playing on a bum knee.

"It wasn't a mystery that his knee was bothering him and he was wearinjg a brace for a few weeks,'' Stinchcomb told NewOrleans.Com on Monday. "Drew was able to play through it. He's a tough guy. In no way am I saying that he's tough and Jay Cutler is not. I don't want to make that comparison. I've never played with Jay nor am I condemning the fact that he left the game yesterday.

"But we were aware about Drew's knee. But it's not our position to speak on another player's injury.''

Brees injured his left knee during the fourth quarter of his team's 27-24 loss in OT to the Falcons on Sept. 26, then showed up the next week in practice wearing a brace on his left knee. He also played with a brace on the injured knee in subsequent games.

In his Monday press conference following the Falcons’ game, Saints Coach Sean Payton said Brees merely experienced a bruise and some soreness in his injured knee. Despite that acknowledgement and Brees wearing a knee brace, the quarterback was not listed on the league’s injury report leading up to the Carolina Panthers game the next week.

It was widely reported that an MRI revealed no structural damage based on information provided during team-related press conferences.

“There’s no situation,’’ Payton said days before the Panthers game. “His knee is sore from the game. There’s no specific injury other than he’s got soreness. We didn’t put him on the injury report. He took all the reps. There’s not an injury to report.''

In early November, citing unnamed sources, WIST-690 am reported Brees had been playing with a “fractured’’ left knee and torn meniscus and would have to undergo micro-fracture surgery at season’s end. Payton denied the report, labeling it “inaccurate, completely false.’’

Zing indeed.

His team needed him out there if he was healthy, he was not. He would have been a detriment. He tried to come back in and couldn't. I'm pretty sure that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing because no one can be a dense as you are portraying right now.

OK you win. You've proven you are as big a pussy as Cutler.

Bears fans should be pissed, period. Delhomme and McCoy both finshed games on high ankle sprains that sidelined them for four plus weeks. In fact Delhomme finished a game on one, went back too early, finished another game and lost another four games.

Delhomme may be shot as a QB, but he has twice the guts of Cutler. You'd never get McCoy off the field in the second half of a game unless there was a stretcher involved.

I don't care that Cutler was a pussy, becaus I'm not a Bears fan.

But it was the GD conference championship ... George Halas just threw up in his grave.

Zombo

Just a side note, not taking sides.

A fresh injury such as an MCL is a whole lot different to play on than an injury that has had time to settle down. I've had knee injuries and surgeries my whole life, so I know a thing or two about it. A freshly injured knee is inflamed and has absolutely no stability, not to mention can be very painful just by shifting on it the wrong way. You can stand and walk on it without looking like a total gimp, but one wrong step will shoot pains up your spine. There are also degrees of sprains that are much worse than others, regardless of what they are categorized as. It's akin to ankle sprains. For example, you can sprain your ankle and barely put pressure on it, yet be walking fine within a couple days. On the other hand, you can tweak it a little, play through it, and then not get it healthy for a couple months if ever (see 2010 Cleveland Browns QB's and Shaun Lauvao high ankle sprains)---many times the ligaments are stretched and take years to tighten up again or require surgery.

A knee that has had time to settle down (ala the Brees/Jones Drew comparisons) can be played on depending on the extent of the injury. Guys routinely miss 4-6 weeks during the season with MCL tears though, but they generally don't require surgery. Is Fujita a pussy? He never played again after going down, that was 7 games after the Jets. It depends on the severity and the position played, also.

I played sports and worked with a torn ACL for 13 years before getting it reconstructed, but at about 75% effectiveness from favoring it. However, if I blew it out (which I did often) rest assured I wasn't playing for a few weeks at least--and definitely not that day---I couldn't if I tried.

My opinion on Cutler is he just isn't very smart. He should have sold it more so none of this came up. If he took the Jake Delhomme or Favre approach, even to a small extent, it would have looked like he just went through hell and back. Instead, he was cool about it and maybe pouted a little. He just isn't a very mature guy, but that doesn't mean he is not tough. None of us know for sure, though.

Personally, I want to see my QB look like Couch when he went down in 2002. Try taking a snap and dropping back on the sidelines, and then spike the ball out of frustration and look pissed cuz he just couldn't go. I think most hardcore fans desire that sort of attitude to be convinced.

True Grit, minute 4:00. And minute 5:34. Kosar

That was a great video, K. But he needed both legs to be able to make the play.

He didn't need his left arm that much. Different deal.

Although, I can see Colt going back out onto the field, with the team doctor hanging onto his one good leg... and

still finding a way to make the play. GGG

Archived